• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The new Wallaby jersey

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Given your condescending attitude you hardly warrant a reply, so what I will ask, is what colour would you have as the Wallabies alternate jersey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As our national colours are green and gold, it should be green shouldn't it?

T

TOCC

As our national colours are green and gold, it should be green shouldn't it?

If the intent is to create alternate jersey which generates extra revenue through merchandising, is changing to a colour scheme similar to that of the Springboks or Kangaroos really going to achieve that?
I personally don't think so, i wouldn't want a jerseys which is mistaken for a Springbok jersey or a mungo test jersey.

602_3165_2021.jpg

cid_D2D6E70E-7F0B-4593-AA37-8DD65467676F2.jpg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Why not gold with white hoops? It could have smaller hoops of Gold that would still be recognisable as a Wallabies jersey

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the intent is to create alternate jersey which generates extra revenue through merchandising, is changing to a colour scheme similar to that of the Springboks or Kangaroos really going to achieve that?
I personally don't think so, i wouldn't want a jerseys which is mistaken for a Springbok jersey or a mungo test jersey.

602_3165_2021.jpg

cid_D2D6E70E-7F0B-4593-AA37-8DD65467676F2.jpg

That seems a fairly odd argument. All Australian sporting teams either play in green or gold. Most people that I know could tell the difference.

The Socceroos play in a gold jersey, are you concerned about being mistaken for that?

37112110_xl_large.jpg

T

TOCC

That seems a fairly odd argument. All Australian sporting teams either play in green or gold. Most people that I know could tell the difference.

The Socceroos play in a gold jersey, are you concerned about being mistaken for that?

You missed the point, If your argument is that the alternate jersey should be something which drives merchandise sales then making it look like the Springboks or Kangaroo's creates no point of difference. Sporting teams which have 'superhero' round or heritage round jerseys capitalise on the uniqueness of the jersey.

Is a green jersey which looks like South Africa or the Kangaroos different enough to drive new jersey sales? I don't think so.

As for the Socceroos, well their alternate jersey isn't green either, blue is a unique more marketable colour which is historically aligned with Australia and the Socceroos.
australia_away_collar2_original.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You missed the point, If your argument is that the alternate jersey should be something which drives merchandise sales then making it look like the Springboks or Kangaroo's creates no point of difference. Sporting teams which have 'superhero' round or heritage round jerseys capitalise on the uniqueness of the jersey.

Is a green jersey which looks like South Africa or the Kangaroos different enough to drive new jersey sales? I don't think so.

As for the Socceroos, well their alternate jersey isn't green either, blue is a unique more marketable colour which is historically aligned with Australia and the Socceroos.
australia_away_collar2_original.jpg

But isn't you point that people will be confused by a green jersey because it;s like the Kangaroos?
Before that your argument was that Arsenal couldn't be used as an example because they weren't a national team and didn't play in national colours.

Very difficult to have a rational discussion with you when you keep changing your position.

I'm not sure how may posts you read before you made your intial contribution, or if you don't understand what people have been talking about or you don't want to understand, so I'll summarise for you.

1. Most major sporting organisations (including national teams) have and alternate or away jersey
2. The use of these jerseys has moved beyond a clash of colours and is now geared more for marketing purposes
3. You can do more with the alternate strip in terms of design because you'll offend less of the traditionalists
4. The ARU doesn't have a regular away or alternate jersey - the create one just before RWC because WR (World Rugby) tell them they have to
5. It makes no sense to have a plain white jersey because it's not something that can be sold and marketed because a) it's not our national colours and b) it doesn't look any good c) it won't actually be worn in a game

You are free to hold the view that the Wallabies don't need an away jersey for whatever reason you like. However, what I would say to you is that evidence from around the sporting world suggests that there's more money to be made from selling the alternate jersey, because you can make subtle (and even not so subtle) changes to it every year.

Some of us have the view that the Wallaby away jersey should be green and for marketing purposes could and should be used for an away game once a year. Obviously you don't agree, so at the risk of boring everyone else to tears, it might be a good time to agree to disagree and move on.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
But isn't you point that people will be confused by a green jersey because it;s like the Kangaroos?
Before that your argument was that Arsenal couldn't be used as an example because they weren't a national team and didn't play in national colours.

Very difficult to have a rational discussion with you when you keep changing your position.

I'm not sure how may posts you read before you made your intial contribution, or if you don't understand what people have been talking about or you don't want to understand, so I'll summarise for you.

1. Most major sporting organisations (including national teams) have and alternate or away jersey
2. The use of these jerseys has moved beyond a clash of colours and is now geared more for marketing purposes
3. You can do more with the alternate strip in terms of design because you'll offend less of the traditionalists
4. The ARU doesn't have a regular away or alternate jersey - the create one just before RWC because WR (World Rugby) tell them they have to
5. It makes no sense to have a plain white jersey because it's not something that can be sold and marketed because a) it's not our national colours and b) it doesn't look any good c) it won't actually be worn in a game

You are free to hold the view that the Wallabies don't need an away jersey for whatever reason you like. However, what I would say to you is that evidence from around the sporting world suggests that there's more money to be made from selling the alternate jersey, because you can make subtle (and even not so subtle) changes to it every year.

Some of us have the view that the Wallaby away jersey should be green and for marketing purposes could and should be used for an away game once a year. Obviously you don't agree, so at the risk of boring everyone else to tears, it might be a good time to agree to disagree and move on.

That's the point. I support every word that you wrote, mate. It's simple, it's a low-risk business for the ARU

T

TOCC

It says a lot about a person who consistently reverts to a condescending and patronising attitude in an attempt to argue their point.

So let me reiterate, alternate jerseys which sell in volume do so because of their unique designs, your proposal for a green jersey isn't unique and thus won't generate the sales you allude to.

I'm not arguing that the jersey should stay all white, just countering your argument that switching to a green jersey will drive an immediate spike in jersey sales. If you really want a design which drives sales then you need something unique and you need something which creates a point of difference, as already identified a plai. green jersey doesn't provide that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There was no intention to be condescending. I put the matter into simple terms in an attempt to clear up any misunderstanding.

As I've alluded to in posts 496-500, 509 and 547, it doesn't have to be plain green every year. You can make changes to it every year in order to make it marketable. You keep your main jersey in the traditional design (in this case plain gold) and have your away/alternate jersey green - but with the ability to use different shades of green, different designs etc. One year could be an indigenous theme for example.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I like the current one best. I also like the white version now that I've seen it on the players.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Personally, i think the Government should Specify the correct Green and Gold Colouration for all recognised national teams - and then they can have any bloody design they want, as long as they don't mess with the national colours... (or else, like the Aust. Diving team recently in Kazan, opt for something completely different)...

Not a big fan of big government, but it would save us from travesties like the current yellow and that appalling 7s Kit...

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anyone else find xl to be very tight and xxl to be massive?
Regarding this matter, I bought a Wallaby jersey which was the last years model size XL, it fits nicely around the shoulders and arms, bit loose around the waist, but god damn the neck is killing me. Now I am heavily built, around 177cm/105kg but the XXL would propably be enough big for me to use as a parachute so the question is, are these jerseys all the same size around the neck?
I have no chance in trying one out in a store as there are no rugby shops around here, so need to order online

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Also, do we have an idea of what plans are after the RWC? Will the wallabies keep this current design (obviously without the RWC logo) or revert back to the jersey we had previously?