• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The NorthFace 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It goes past my house. Does that help? We live at about the 5km mark and I was amazed how fast the bastards were going.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
100 kms in less than 24 hours - ouch. I just got back from a 4 day 80 km hike and am still suffering.

I have walked the NorthFace100 route in different sections at some time or other and it's a top course .... if you are casually walking. Now running - good luck buddy. I also note they have left out shoes in the gear list on the website so don't forget those.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Five of my mates did it for the first time this year, I was their support crew.
Two finished in ~21 hours, three in 23:15. Two with blown ITBs.
Epic.

I'll post some extracts from emails...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
A quick race report: said:
Sometimes you enter a race without really thinking about it too much. And sometimes that's a good thing - it's better not to know (or otherwise you wouldn't commit in the first place). It seemed like a good idea after Trailwalker Melbourne that my partner kept training and did this race 6 weeks later. So we both entered and then looked at the elevation profile - yikes! After an injury prone lead up for me (and a quick result at TW for my partner), we revised our goal to cruise along and enjoy it. This was so I could ensure i finished, and so that Karen ensured she didn't hurt as much as TW.

It's incredibly hard to understand this course without running on it beforehand. Even though I misspent my youth climbing, hiking and canyoning in the blue mountains and have done 6Ft a number of times, I had trouble conceptualising the course and didn't understand the technicality of the trail in places and the climbs. Accordingly, training specifically for this trail is difficult. Yeah, runs lots, but run lots of tricky trail and find lots of stairs, and lots of long long climbs. This course will expose any weaknesses you may have. Slow on technical trail - you'll hate the first leg. Slow uphill - kedumba for you. Mentally weak - well the last leg will get you in the last 7km. Live in Qld - ha, the cold will get you. Train on the trail if you can. If you live interstate then train on your nastiest trail.

It was easy to criticise the mandatory gear list before the event (I did). It seems like a lot of gear. But the conditions proved the gear is required. I carried an extra long sleeve shirt, wore it and all my other tops, windstopper fleece, rainshell and wore 2 beanies. And was still cold. You need it all.

But the race is pretty special. Totally awesome views. We stopped and took photos. We stared at the view. We didn't care about time (i left my garmin at home on purpose). We stopped at Checkpoints and ate real food. We smiled as we climbed down Taros Ladders. We enjoyed talking to other runners.

Some bits are a bit soul-crushing. The Ironpots seemed pointless. Huge up, out and back, steep down. Out and back sections are always soul-crushing. The big climb before CP3 - didn't expect that. Kedumba seemed long (but we expected it). The last few Kms where you head down towards the valley floor (instead of up to the Resort) seemed like pointless tormenting of tired athletes. Ok, it's nice to run past Wentworth falls, but it's pretty dark and I really didn't care at that point (95k?).

But what was right, was the race organisation. Absolutely awesome course marking. Great response to any queries. Good event start/finish location. Some things can be improved - race timing at CP1, location of CP5 (i.e. indoors instead of outdoors), pizza. Not all of these were in the RD's control, and he worked hard to address them as best he could.

How did our race go - sometimes it doesn't matter. We were happy to finish together, still smiling. We swore during the race we would never come back; it was pointless, tormenting, and soul crushing. And today we are already planning for next year...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I also note they have left out shoes in the gear list on the website so don't forget those.
You want at least two pairs of worn in shoes - there's sections your feet get wet so you want to be able to change them.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Has anyone done the Kepler Challenge or Routeburn Classic? Thinking of a having a crack at them.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for all the info guys!

Moses, P Tah & Scarfman: Which areas of the course are the most important to train on?

Outside of my training I am doing the Mt Wilson to Bilpin next month and the Six-foot track race next year for a bit of race experience, anything else you would recommend?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
On a side note,

Scarfman, I am doing some training in the Gross Valley this weekend (leaving from Govett's leap), where is a good place for a coffee on the way home?

Cheers

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Thanks Moses, what did their training program look like?
Are you still in London? What's the longest event you've done to date?

They'd run most of the course in training, some of the really tough bits were the steps between checkpoint 3 and 4 (katoomba), and definately do the last 11 k's - very technical single track with 89ks in your legs and likely at night...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Are you still in London? What's the longest event you've done to date?

They'd run most of the course in training, some of the really tough bits were the steps between checkpoint 3 and 4 (katoomba), and definately do the last 11 k's - very technical single track with 89ks in your legs and likely at night...

Back in Sydney since January Moses.

Haven't done any long distance races. The Mount Wilson to Bilpin next month will be the longest race I have participated in but I do spend a lot of time training.

i'd love to see the training program these guys undertook to get a better idea of whats required.

Doing 34km's up there tomorrow.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
mate said "Its called the Bennos runs in the bush program – time on feet in big hill country rather than distance work on the road, build up to 50-60km about 1 month before the race.

What level is he at now? Im guessing fit as hell?"

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
mate said "Its called the Bennos runs in the bush program – time on feet in big hill country rather than distance work on the road, build up to 50-60km about 1 month before the race.

What level is he at now? Im guessing fit as hell?"

Cheers buddy, makes sense

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not a runner so not sure how best to train for such an event but I did these when getting fit for a Nepal trek years ago:
- three sisters carpark down steps to jamison valley under landslide then up steps to narrowneck then along cliff top track or road back to three sisters car park
- Queen Vic hospital car park along kedumba valley road then down kedumba pass to jamison creek and back again
- explorers tree car park on hwy just past katoomba on 6 ft track down to nellies glen road and back
- my favourite and a top day and probably the most technical but needs 2 cars and not totally on your race course; narrowneck car park down golden stairs out to and across mt solitary down to kedumba river then up kedumba pass to queen vic hospital car park
- if you don't want to drive from sydney all the way up top, take the train to glenbrook then run the woodford firetrail mountain bike track up to woodford station
Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.