• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The number 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Gagger's analysis of where the Waratahs are going wrong made mention of Waugh being more a midget number 6 than a number 7.

It got me wondering what their roles should be, what the differences are between a number 6 and number 7, and how the NRI (c) might affect them.

Traditionally a number 7 would be faster and lighter (and therefore closer to the play), make a lot of tackles, be a better ball player, be on hand as a support player, and be very concerned with ball retention and ball pilfering. Some would add that a number 7 should be a forwards-backs link player.

A number 6, whilst also concerned with similar things to the number 7, is often a strong ball runner and line out jumper.

Whilst it is early days in terms of the new interpretations, it seems that ball pilfering is a smaller part of the game now, and that ball retention and capture is more to do with driving strongly through the ruck. If that is the case, the traditional 'superiority' of the 7 over the 6 at the breakdown would seem to be lessened, except that in theory the 7 should still get there first.

As far as Waugh is concerned, ball running and line out jumping in the number 6 style aren't his forte. His defence is still there. His pace is not what it used to be (although I don't remember him being a speedster at any time). He isn't all that light. He will need to adjust his game for the new interpretations, as the edge he had at the breakdown is less of an advantage now. Having said all of that, he still seems to manage to be around the action a lot of the time, making tackles, securing ball, getting head cuts, so I'd be sad to see the back of him just yet.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The 7 being on the openside of a scrum generally gets a headstart from the set piece as well.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As he gets older and slower Waugh should seriously consider losing some weight to help him get around the paddock easier. He's too big at the moment.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I remember reading a post some time ago where a poster suggested that waugh could have been a class hooker had someone pulled him aside and told him to switch spots. Seeing as the current hooker stocks in Australia arnt all the greatest lineout throwers in the world, is this switch to far-fetched?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
DPK said:
I remember reading a post some time ago where a poster suggested that waugh could have been a class hooker had someone pulled him aside and told him to switch spots. Seeing as the current hooker stocks in Australia arnt all the greatest lineout throwers in the world, is this switch to far-fetched?

It is too late now and I read somewhere that JO'N suggested to him after the 2003 WC to do exactly that. Though what would a CEO know about coaching?

P

PhucNgo

Langthorne said:
Gagger's analysis of where the Waratahs are going wrong made mention of Waugh being more a midget number 6 than a number 7.

It got me wondering what their roles should be, what the differences are between a number 6 and number 7, and how the NRI (c) might affect them.

Traditionally a number 7 would be faster and lighter (and therefore closer to the play), make a lot of tackles, be a better ball player, be on hand as a support player, and be very concerned with ball retention and ball pilfering. Some would add that a number 7 should be a forwards-backs link player.

A number 6, whilst also concerned with similar things to the number 7, is often a strong ball runner and line out jumper.

Whilst it is early days in terms of the new interpretations, it seems that ball pilfering is a smaller part of the game now, and that ball retention and capture is more to do with driving strongly through the ruck. If that is the case, the traditional 'superiority' of the 7 over the 6 at the breakdown would seem to be lessened, except that in theory the 7 should still get there first.

As far as Waugh is concerned, ball running and line out jumping in the number 6 style aren't his forte. His defence is still there. His pace is not what it used to be (although I don't remember him being a speedster at any time). He isn't all that light. He will need to adjust his game for the new interpretations, as the edge he had at the breakdown is less of an advantage now. Having said all of that, he still seems to manage to be around the action a lot of the time, making tackles, securing ball, getting head cuts, so I'd be sad to see the back of him just yet.

Hmmm, interesting question to ponder Lanthorne, maybe now more than ever the NRI's may justify having two 7's. One to effect the tackle and the other being the second-man-in, i.e. not involved in the tackle and therefore able to contest possession. Not sure tho what you mean by driving strongly through the ruck? Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all evolves over the next few rounds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
As he gets older and slower Waugh should seriously consider losing some weight to help him get around the paddock easier. He's too big at the moment.

I think he has been too heavy for a least a couple of years. He needs more mobility.

I'd also suggest that his average performances have stuff all to do with the 'NRI', and that he would be struggling either way. It isn't like Pocock has suddenly become an average player this year after the change in interpretation, and Braid has had a couple of very good game to use the example of a slower 7.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The refs will calm and it will all normalise a bit more. But the fetcher will still be an important role just not so overdominant as it is now I reckon.

The good fetchers will also adopt new / reuse old techniques to suit. The idea of the handclap if there first, or waiting for tackle to be effected, keeping ball carrier off ground etc

the Stormers adopted your idea Langthorne - first there drove through isolating the carrier

This last technique (old fashioned counterrucking) had been on the rise anyway - fark, even the Wobblies were using it. Far from the breakdown no longer being a contest with the NRIs, I reckon it'll becme a bigger one, not so dminated by 1 man (and another with a whistle)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
PhucNgo said:
Langthorne said:

Hmmm, interesting question to ponder Lanthorne, maybe now more than ever the NRI's may justify having two 7's. One to effect the tackle and the other being the second-man-in, i.e. not involved in the tackle and therefore able to contest possession. Not sure tho what you mean by driving strongly through the ruck? Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all evolves over the next few rounds.
I would be very tempted to put a winger at 7 for an deffensive scrum, move Waugh to 8. This allows the winger (should be fast!) to grab the legs and then waugh to go for the ball. This would also allow Palu to move into the backline to scare the shit out of anyone running his way.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Gagger said:
The refs will calm and it will all normalise a bit more. But the fetcher will still be an important role just not so overdominant as it is now I reckon.

The good fetchers will also adopt new / reuse old techniques to suit. The idea of the handclap if there first, or waiting for tackle to be effected, keeping ball carrier off ground etc

the Stormers adopted your idea Langthorne - first there drove through isolating the carrier

This last technique (old fashioned counterrucking) had been on the rise anyway - fark, even the Wobblies were using it. Far from the breakdown no longer being a contest with the NRIs, I reckon it'll becme a bigger one, not so dminated by 1 man (and another with a whistle)

From the games I saw on the weekend, counter-rucking definitely seemed to have the best effect with the new interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.