• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Link here Reg: http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/13/law-variations-continue-nrc-season-2/

Are you able to shed any further info on the stuff that Brett has mentioned?

How involved were the Roar do you know? I've obviously gotten a little caught up in our own little bubble here but I kind of had the impression that we were driving this almost exclusively. It would've been good if we could've gotten the exclusive.

I probably should've seen it coming but I'm a little worried that a few of the more fundamental details that we discussed appear to be changing potentially.

The name for one. Also I'm not sure about the 2 home defences and then automatically one on the road. I don't think there should be anything in the rules that make it easier for some teams to win over others. You should have to win it on the road, that's what makes it special. It's bloody hard to win. It seems that this rule, if implemented, would be aimed at making sure the trophy gets shared around and I don't think that's right.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this comes across as critical in any way. That's not my intention. I am really stoked that this is happening! It's just a bit of a concern that it was growing so organically and now, when we are just about there, it's maybe not so much?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Would anyone else like to post up the link? :)

@Scoey - understand your concerns. But to my mind, this isn't about it being "our" shield. Its about the hierarchy being reminded that we still give a shit and want these things to succeed, even if powers are working in the background to make sure they don't.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah thanks Pfitzy, I know. I just really want this to be something very special and it's looking like it will be. I just don't want a bunch of suits and marketing types to sterilise it just because they are stumping up the coin. Not saying that's what is happening, that is just my fear.

I just need to wait and see because there really wasn't a lot in that article (Link here btw :D ) to be honest. Just a few teasers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have faith that @RugbyReg will keep the Ivory Tower inhabitants on the straight and narrow.

If that doesn't happen, and the VW golf driving, pony tailed marketing types get their say, then we start the #JusticeForPfitzysShieldIdea campaign on social media.

BTW there is apparently an article on the Roar about the our shield.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would anyone else like to post up the link? :)

@Scoey - understand your concerns. But to my mind, this isn't about it being "our" shield. Its about the hierarchy being reminded that we still give a shit and want these things to succeed, even if powers are working in the background to make sure they don't.

well said Pfitz. This has always been about the intent and the outcome. That remains with this result. I think we should all be stoked that this comes off and try not to get too caught up in some of the smaller variances. In saying that, I was a little miffed that that went to the Roar, however Brett McKay is a quality individual and has done as much as GAGR has for the NRC, as an individual he has done more than anyone. Whittaker no doubt was just trying to provide some further info for him.

However, what I will say is this:

- I doubt it will be the Shawn Mackay Shield for the reasons we came up with here. There are already plenty of those. We brainstormed a few ideas with the ARU and the broadcasters and I reckon we've come up with a pretty decent name at the moment, which isn't appropriate to share just yet.
- I don't think Brisbane will be the holders, for the same reasons described in this thread with the first likely challenge being the 2nd round game when inaugural holders Melbourne face Brisbane.
- the process for challenge and wins will be worked out but I put forward the work we have done here and I'd suspect that is what will be adopted. Perhaps.
- I have a phone hook up with the ARU later this morning to discuss this all so will provide an update later.

T

TOCC

Whitaker suggested that Brisbane City would be the initial holders in the Roar article, see link below ;)

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/13/law-variations-continue-nrc-season-2/

In all seriousness though, it's a fantastic outcome and something that those closely involved with the proposal and concept should be proud of. It's not often that big organisations are willing to accept and back such proposals as this. Well done ladies and gents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All going well guys. This is happening. The Shield has been sourced, broadcasters are happy. Most of what I clarified above will be the case.

I will hold off revealing the name just yet until it gets ticked off by those involved.

It will be launched next Wednesday at the season launch.

First game up for challenge will be round 2 with Brisbane challenging Melbourne down in Melbourne.

There could be some really exciting opportunities for the GAGR community to be involved.

But most importantly I think we should be singing from the rooftops about it, once it is launched and getting out there and supporting it when these games are played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

First we get @WaratahJesus to run the ball on at Moore Park, then this. The people have spoken! Do not let The Roar get credit for this.

What more can Gaggerland poster power achieve? A new Head Coach for the Reds perhaps?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be honest I think there is a great deal we've achieved, and I think those two are a good example.

The figures Gagger alludes to in the latest podcast are massive, in terms of people who came to the site on Sunday.

I like to think the GAGR Wallaby Player of the Year is pretty significant. The biggest fan award in Australia? Not sure, but I can't think of any others.

I think our coverage of the NRC last year was 2nd to none and I hope we can do it again this year.

GAGR does a lot of great stuff, with a lot of great people involved. I think we should continue to look at ways we can influence the industry etc, when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.