• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
First Official Defence: Melbourne Rising
CNFEbH3WIAAjM1p.jpg

Pix: @Sully twitter

First Official Presentation. To Melbourne Rising Captain by @RugbyReg
CNFEIbfWUAAdt4n.jpg

Pix: @Sully twitter

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So how did the players take it Reg? I assume Fugli - being a Kiwi - was down with the whole "Shield" thing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he was great. He did ask about the rules as its a little different to the RS. I've given some feedback to the ARU about being clear on it all, but I think its more a gap between team management and the players, as the management was briefed.

I did make a point to him to say that G&GR were behind this on behalf of the entire rugby community and that we hope they respect that and help build on the tradition of it all. I think collectively we all need to be the "spiritual guardians" of this Shield and ensure it remains significant and relevant.

Thinking about this all, we need to build our own tradition about this. Anyone done anything on wikipedia? we need to build a Horan Little Shield page with all the GAGR history (including links to Pftitzy's initial article), the rules and the a table tracking the winners, challengers etc.

Volunteers?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
to get something from the ARU archives was a good end result.
Mentioning archives (and slightly off topic), Sydney, NSW Country and Victoria used to play in a national rugby comp - the Wallaby Trophy - along with Queensland, in the 1960s and 70s. There was a second division with Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and later Qld Country and ACT. Sound familiar?

That ARFU scroll on the HL Shield has me wondering. What happened to that previous trophy?

Apparently Queensland last won it (unofficially) in 1976 and before that it was NSW Country (officially) in 1975. This thing could be sitting in a broom cupboard (Bledisloe-style) somewhere in the QRU or NSWCRU offices. This bit of history is the precursor of our current competition.

Anyone know anything about this Wallaby Trophy?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I had a fair bit to do with the QRU archives (used to love going through it all) and never saw such a trophy. It may be there, no doubt, but it wasn't obvious at all.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I had a fair bit to do with the QRU archives (used to love going through it all) and never saw such a trophy. It may be there, no doubt, but it wasn't obvious at all.

Cheers, Reg. I've not even seen a photo of it in any case (before my time and probably so for most people on this site).

But it's a piece of Aus rugby history that's slipped through the cracks.

L3y1Rte.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ The great oracle that Wikipedia is says this about the Wallaby Trophy, under the lead article of Australian Provincial Championship:

Wallaby Trophy: 1968 to 1976
The Wallaby Trophy began in 1968, contested by representrative teams from Sydney, NSW Country, Queensland, and Victoria. Victoria also competed in the Southern States Carnival against Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania, and these other teams were eventually formed into a second division of the Wallaby Trophy along with the Australian Capital Territory and, later, Queensland Country. In June 1976 the ARU announced the suspension of funding to the Wallaby Trophy competition due to financial difficulties. After 1976 there was no provincial championship for another two decades, although the Southern States Carnivals continued on.
Provincial rugby matches were still played, but not as part of an overall national competition. The NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds continued to play annual interstate games, sometimes referred to as State of the Union matches. In the 1980s and 90s, NSW and Queensland also played in the transnational SPC, Super 6 and Super 10 tournaments. Limited resources outside the rugby strongholds of Sydney and Brisbane had curtailed options for the tournament's expansion in Australia until the ACT Brumbies team was formed to join the Super 12 competition in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Provincial_Championship

There is also an Australian Rugby Shield floating around somewhere. Last played for in 2008 when the NSW Country Cockatoos won it. It is presumably still in the hands of NSW Country RU. The shield was competed for between 2000 and 2008 by Adelaide Black Falcons, Canberra Vikings, Darwin Mosquitoes, Melbourne Axemen, New South Wales Country Cockatoos, Perth Gold, Queensland Country Heelers, and Tasmania Jack Jumpers.

JO'N iced the Australian Rugby Shield in 2009 saying it could be back in 2010 - Yeah right. Then NSW Country Cockatoos captain Paul Elliott described the decision as “a load of garbage”.
http://www.dailyliberal.com.au/story/844051/shield-axing-leaves-cockatoos-perched-high-and-dry/

Australian_Rugby_Shield_logo.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_Shield

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"The Shield" is getting a life of its own, which is the desired effect.

Brisbane City Head Coach Nick Stiles, after the Brisbane City vs UC Vikings match:
“It is a great achievement to have gone down to Melbourne in Round 2 to secure the Shield, retain it with two victories at home and now to retain it away against a very good Canberra side. We are excited to be able to defend it again next week in front of our loyal Brisbane City fans and to secure our name on the Shield should we get the win.”

"....there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Wilde, O., "The Picture of Dorian Gray" Lippincott's Monthly Magazine, 20 June 1890.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
and to secure our name on the Shield should we get the win.”

I gave your post a thumb up and it was a good Oscar quote...

Though not sure I like this bit quoted from Stiles now.

It would seem to imply that only the end-of-season holders get their name engraved. :(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I gave your post a thumb up and it was a good Oscar quote...

Though not sure I like this bit quoted from Stiles now.

It would seem to imply that only the end-of-season holders get their name engraved. :(

I've implored the ARU to consider all holders/winners to have their name engraved. They are looking at it. Waiting for a response.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I've implored the ARU to consider all holders/winners to have their name engraved. They are looking at it. Waiting for a response.

There has only been two thus far, can't be too much to ask. I'll even chip in for the engraver guy.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If they are worried about the shield accruing too many winners too quickly, they should just make it home matches are challenges and away matches are optional.

With the way it's currently set up only one team (Perth) by my reckoning didn't get a crack at it this season. It's not supposed to be that common that teams get a go at it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If they are worried about the shield accruing too many winners too quickly, they should just make it home matches are challenges and away matches are optional.

With the way it's currently set up only one team (Perth) by my reckoning didn't get a crack at it this season. It's not supposed to be that common that teams get a go at it.

Until the season gets longer i.e. Sydney Club Rugby just accepts that they're going to need to limit their shit, it has to be under the current rules.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Gagger has had a fairly reasonable go at summarising the year that 2015 was on the blog front page (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/?p=89448), but has completely overlooked one of G&GR's achievements of the year - Establishing The Horan Little Shield.

Creative Idea by @Pfitzy.
Conceptual Incrementalism by many Gaggerlanders.
Painstaking Donkey Work with ARU by @Rugby Reg.

Well done all.

Status
Not open for further replies.