• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Is one thread enough? Not sure. Anyway, to get thigns started, does anyone know if Fox SPorts have the rights to the Opening Ceremony? I've borrowed a bloody TV, bought Foxtel, and now it looks like it's only on FTA!?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Look on the bright side, you will be able to see the Super Rugby Semis and Final live and at home.

The first reply on the Olympics thread (the biggest show in town since the last olympics)and I am talking rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Love the Olympics (well, the sport bit anyway) and can't wait for it to start. I tend to avoid the opening ceremony as it bores the tits off me, but as usual I look forward to the athletics, swimming, cycling, indoor volleyball, rowing and hockey most of all.

Bring it on.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Who is in the Aussie 7s team? Usual guys or any ring-ins?

I love the OGs because it's the only time I ever watch a sport other than rugby. For 2 weeks I love athletics, volleyball and rowing and whatever then can go back to being bored by them safe in the knowledge I've seen the best.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
7s doesn't come into the Olympics until 2016.

As for me, I can't wait. Love the Olympics, especially athletics, rowing, volleyball, handball, cycling, weightlifting, hockey, diving, gymnastics, equestrian, modern pentathlon, table tennis.

I spend my time either cheering for Aussies or cheering for the most obscure country featured in the race/game/event.

Carn Australia/Togo!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
7s doesn't come into the Olympics until 2016.

Excellent, I've still got a shot then! I like a backline of Genia, Quade, me, and Beale.

Looking at the TV Guide, it looks like road cycling is on first? Do we have a runner in this event? Cadel?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Scarfy do you think that backline would be a case of 'too many chiefs, not enough indians?' The creative forces present may be too much for one side to handle.

As for the cycling, we have a pretty good team- Cadel, Simon Gerrans, Matt Goss, Michael Rogers and Stuart O'Grady.

But the Brits have a crash hot team as well- Wiggins, Froome, Millar, Cavendish etc.

Gibbo has done a really good preview of it all on G&G Cycling.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Scarfy do you think that backline would be a case of 'too many chiefs, not enough indians?' The creative forces present may be too much for one side to handle.

Over the years I have become more of a straight-running centre in the Pat McCabe mould, due to a similar inability to step, swerve, kick, or pass.

I like the sound of that cycling match-up. Who cares about that French race? This is the Olympics!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll tip Cavendish to get the gold in the cycling as, hard to believe I know, he was the only Brit track cyclist both male and female, to miss out on a medal at the last Olympics, despite being then current world champion! He'll have the motivation for sure...

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Is one thread enough? Not sure. Anyway, to get thigns started, does anyone know if Fox SPorts have the rights to the Opening Ceremony? I've borrowed a bloody TV, bought Foxtel, and now it looks like it's only on FTA!?

Apparently Nine has the exclusive rights to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies which is a shame as Eddie McGuire is one of the hosts. What he's over there for is beyond me as AFL isn't an Olympic sport. He'll probably add sweet FA to proceedings just like the wife of the boss who is also co-hosting. Good junket if you can score one.

BTW, the broadcast is in HD of GEM.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Apparently Nine has the exclusive rights to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies which is a shame as Eddie McGuire is one of the hosts. What he's over there for is beyond me as AFL isn't an Olympic sport. He'll probably add sweet FA to proceedings just like the wife of the boss who is also co-hosting. Good junket if you can score one.

BTW, the broadcast is in HD of GEM.

Just one of a long list of spivs and hangers on the Olympics seems to attract! The commentator I'm least looking forward to would be our old favourite Rabbits. Jesus that guy is a turkey. I wonder if I can get some sort of simulcast or something so I don't have to listen to the conga line of twats that Ch. Nein will trot out.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Opening ceremony, eh? What else is on?

I found that confusing and tedious. No sense of narrative in a presentation that's supposed to be all about narrative. None of the elements built upon each other. It was almost as if they had to namecheck every significant British person since 1850. And Kenneth Branagh playing Brunel reading Shakespeare? Made as much sense as Mary Poppins scaring away Voldemort. I was tearing my brain out near the end. Let it end! I begged, to no avail, as Paul McCartney failed to get the crowd pumping to a song about Julian Lennon. I was just about ready to fly to London to personally stop Jacques Rogge talking.

I would have hired Suggs to do the whole thing. His series on London was tops.

Best opening ceremony = Beijing
Best cauldron lighting = Barcelona
Best Olympics in general = Sydney

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Was it Tim Berners-Lee sitting at his desk, or the Arctic Monkeys playing the music from the Nortel ad that pushed you over the edge?

I knew the exact moment when I become a crank: when I got annoyed at the athletes for their laissez-faire stroll-past. I mean, show some decorum, nod to the Queen, it's not a "party" it's a ceremony upholding the noble Olympic spirit. That's when.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was highly sceptical at the start of the OC as I generally poo poo all things british but was won over at the end. But I agree, it isn't the best ever OC, but who cares its the Olympics. Its commericalism on steriods with a bit of extra testosterone thrown in, yet the theatre and drama of the sports, athletes and the occaision always seems to rise above it (barring Atlanta in 96).

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So the swimming has a choice between rabbits warren on 9 or ray hadley on foxtel. Leaning towards rabbits based solely on the fact that Gus worland has somehow found his way to being poolside commentator on fox. Do we not have A swimmer who can talk?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
So the swimming has a choice between rabbits warren on 9 or ray hadley on foxtel. Leaning towards rabbits based solely on the fact that Gus worland has somehow found his way to being poolside commentator on fox. Do we not have A swimmer who can talk?

I've just turned it off. Both give me the creeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.