• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
What is it with this "Team GB" nonsense?

Last time I looked the nation state over in Pomgolia was officially called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; shortened form = UK.

Like the rugby, have the North and South Paddies set aside their political differences and combined to form a Ireland Island team? I think not.

Is this like the 88 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony where Tassie was left off the map of Australia?

Maybe "Team GB" sounds better than "Team UK" (phonetically said Team uck?)

It is wrong I tell you. They are Team Uck.

Team GB is English arrogance at its very best. There are only two teams to support, Australia and ABE!!

Irish situation is different a bit. Those that believe Northern Ireland is separate to the Rep. of Ireland & actually a part of the UK simply play for Team Uck. Those, like my family a few gens back, who are from Northern/North Ireland, identify as Irish, & believe in Northern Ireland being apart of the Republic of Ireland have the option to represent the Republic of Ireland in sport. So essentially there is no need to form an "Ireland Island team" because both sides of the party have a team to cater for their view. Hell, as far as the Irish go the "Rep. of Ireland" team IS the combined team.

The people I really feel sorry for are the poor Scottish & Welsh bastards who are of a republic fever themselves & don't want to be associated with the UK, Ala Sean Connery ("Red October standing by!"). Team Uck is essentially all they have even if they don't identify with it unlike Ireland who provide a different option. Imagine us playing sport under team Uck given we are linked via the commonwealth.

Trying to come up with something foul to stand for GB, any thoughts?

All I can come up with is Team "Great Booger".

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I just saw Castor Semenya qualify fastest in the 800.
Does anyone know the background?
i.e. On what basis is she accused by some, of not being female?
Looks like she is a short priced favourite to win.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
i.e. On what basis is she accused by some, of not being female?

I think mainly just her name. Caster is too phonetically close to castration and caused some confusion at the IAF.

But seriously, it was reported at one point that she was born with both sexual organs and was assigned as a female while still a baby. Grey, grey area.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I think mainly just her name. Caster is too phonetically close to castration and caused some confusion at the IAF.

But seriously, it was reported at one point that she was born with both sexual organs and was assigned as a female while still a baby. Grey, grey area.

That's the story, two sets of genetalia. Poor kid, everyone in the world knows what's in her shorts, whereas, with all the other competitors, we can only assume! I have heard that since compulsory physical examinations were introduced, the only exemption has been the Princess Royal!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
the kookaburras are like the All Blacks of hockey

They sure are. So many times they've smashed every other team coming into the Olympics only to choke in the medal round. They've at least won it once (in 2004), but could have won gold at least three or four more times. I mean, they lost to that renowned men's hockey power NZ in the gold medal game in '76. FFS!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Gold to Aus in the sailing.

Amazing sportsmanship by the brits in the mens 470 sailing. Great to see the brits celebrating a silver as the great achievement it is. Also great to see the parents of the Aussies and Brits getting together for celebrations and congratulations on the hill too.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Did not watch but listened to it over AM radio. Sounded like Dwyer was well marked.

I have restored a bit of respect for Steffensen based on how well he composed himself in that post race interview.

Opals went down 83-73 to the USA. USA expected to win Gold of course but like their men were always going to be hard to beat. Opals will play off for Bronze. We actually led the US at 1/2 time but they double teamed Cambage in the 2nd & she couldn't even get one point. Jackson summed it up well "Shit happens" & that the key to getting better is for a lot more Aussie girls to play over in the WNBA. All the Opals were in tears after the game. Normally I'd be pretty much against the tears in defeat but I'm cool with it in this case as they've had Silver the past 3 Olympics against the US & now look to fight for Bronze after another loss to the US - I'd probably be tears too.

Forgot to mention WELL DONE IRELAND! First Gold of the games in Women's Boxing (women's boxing has just been introduced at this Olympics). 60kg Division winner Katie Taylor, Ireland's flag bearer & only woman in Irish team this Olympics I've been told.

Nah, a friend I mine's sister was competing in the high jump for them yesterday.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nah, a friend I mine's sister was competing in the high jump for them yesterday.

Really? The Aussie commentators talking about it during an update said she was the only one from Ireland............oh wait, Aussie commentators, my mistake!

One of our girls has gone through to the next stage in Taekwondo.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gold to Aus in the sailing.

Amazing sportsmanship by the brits in the mens 470 sailing. Great to see the brits celebrating a silver as the great achievement it is. Also great to see the parents of the Aussies and Brits getting together for celebrations and congratulations on the hill too.

It was fantastic wasn't it. Compete hard and then have a beer with your opposition afterwards. A bit like a sport that we know and love.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was fantastic wasn't it. Compete hard and then have a beer with your opposition afterwards. A bit like a sport that we know and love.

Reminds me of last night at the conclusion of the men's decathlon where all the competitors, including the placegetters all gathered around together after the last event for a photo shoot, iit was very evident that there was plenty of camaderie!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Really? The Aussie commentators talking about it during an update said she was the only one from Ireland....oh wait, Aussie commentators, my mistake!

One of our girls has gone through to the next stage in Taekwondo.

Just saw them in the 4 x 400 as well.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just saw them in the 4 x 400 as well.

Well that is what I get for listening to the Aussie commentators & believing they've actually researched anything that connected to AUS or even Team Uck.

Gutted for Caroline in the BMX she was looking cherry ripe through through the time trials & heats, was the fav but came in 5th I believe. She was understandably devastated. Sam in the men's grabbed silver but yet again was looking good for Gold earlier as well.

Unfortunate for Hooker that he did not bring his A game to the pole vault.

Well done to the Bahamas ending USAs stronghold with the 4x400m relay!

Kookaburras v Team Uck should be good. We need Bronze! I don't want to see a team that good walk away with nada, especially since it is against GB too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Here's me thinking that BMX is a sport you stop playing in your teens, but I've actually enjoyed watching it. Pretty action packed I would say. My only gripe is the lottery of the final. One race doesn't seem like enough, especially when the other rounds have three or five. Still, those are the rules and they're the same for everyone. I'd want best of three though, as it reduces the chance of "Bradbury" style situation.

I agree with AS that the Kooka's must not lose to GB for Bronze. They are too good not to have a medal, but this Olympics has perhaps again exposed a lack of mental toughness.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
OK, I've just watched some replays of the men's relay.
WTF is going on in South Africa?
They have a dude racing against other girls, and now they have a guy with springs on instead of shoes!
Did they also ride motorbikes in the cycling?
power boats in the rowing?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think as it currently is run the BMX is a joke of a competition. Almost every race goes to the one who wins the start, provided they don't make any mistakes and having a best of 3 for the semis then a single race in the final is beyond ridiculous. I'd like to know the theory behind that set up because I can't think of anything that helps it make any sense to me.

I say change the way it is run or ditch it as an Olympic sport.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
OK, I've just watched some replays of the men's relay.
WTF is going on in South Africa?
They have a dude racing against other girls, and now they have a guy with springs on instead of shoes!
Did they also ride motorbikes in the cycling?
power boats in the rowing?

They actually made that 4 x 400 final despite not even finishing the heat! Obviously really deserved to be there, considering they came last by about 100m.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Here's me thinking that BMX is a sport you stop playing in your teens, but I've actually enjoyed watching it. Pretty action packed I would say. My only gripe is the lottery of the final. One race doesn't seem like enough, especially when the other rounds have three or five. Still, those are the rules and they're the same for everyone. I'd want best of three though, as it reduces the chance of "Bradbury" style situation.

I agree with AS that the Kooka's must not lose to GB for Bronze. They are too good not to have a medal, but this Olympics has perhaps again exposed a lack of mental toughness.

Seeing as how "doing a Bradbury" has become part of our vernacular, would it be fair to say that James Magnussen's Olympic 2012 performaces (with the hype and the muscle-flexing followed by below-best swims), could be an example of a "Reverse-Bradbury"?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.