• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep and isn't it great Scotty, we are experts and critics every 4 years and then we all go back to ignoring most of these sports again.

Bulldust!!! I'm thinking of starting a compaign to lobby Foxtel to show more 10m Free Standing Air Pistol, Trapshooting, Archery, Synchronised Swimming, Dressage, and Modern Pentathon. We need more of this.

Amend the outdated AAGPS rules! Time to start scholarshipping some of our finest up and coming Modern Pentathletes into the AAGPS system.

Selective Sports High Schools need to look at their Talented Athlete Free Standing Air Pistol, and Archery Programmes.

Coates and Gosper to start talking up participation numbers in these sports. Lookout when Corporate Australia starts pouring their big bucks into endorsements and sponsorship of Greco-Roman Wrestling. Apparently the Packer empire are looking to do a "World Series Fencing" shake up to the noble and fine art of Sabre Fighting. Epee fighters are reportedly most upset.

Roll on Rio and our Men in Gold's tilt at Gold in Rugby 7's. This can NOT come around too soon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep and isn't it great Scotty, we are experts and critics every 4 years and then we all go back to ignoring most of these sports again.

Not me. Rugby isn't the only sport I follow. Whenever there is a telecast, I watch the world championships in a good number of Olympic sports.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Back onto measures of success. One I believe that is sub-conscioulsy used is the rise of nations new sporting hero's. It feels like we didn't really have any new stars explode onto the scene out of this games.

Anna Meares and Sally Pearson were both expected to win gold. And no offence to the sailors, but no one will be able to remember their names this time next year. It is just too much of a fringe sport and fairly inaccessible to most. Compare that to 2008 when we were toasting to the success of the goldern swimming girls with Stephanie Rice at the front of the pack, plus the wins of Steve Hooker and Mathew Mitcham. Despite being individuals, their stories of success are woven into the fabric that is the perception of how we truly performed at an olympic games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How (we) truly performed at the Olympics?

Can I qoute Valarie Adams, the Darkness shot-putter. After the competition, due to a drug cheat being found out, she was awarded the Gold. This is a true reflection of who was the best shot putter on the day. The record will now reflect that, but who's national anthem was played in front of 80000 live spectators, and several hundred bazillions watching on TV.

I reckon Valerie will be granted a civic ceremony of about 18 people to witness the formal presentation of her legitimate Gold Medal. This will reflect her true performance. Is it the same as the (on the day) recognized performance (pre-drug test results)?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't really watch any other TV than sport, so maybe yes or maybe not ;)

Neither do I, but I can still only find time for one or two rugby games a week, plus maybe a little golf on the side. Don't even seem to be able to catch up with the Rugby Club each week (no great loss there though).

But I guess that is pretty normal for running a business and having a 3 year old and 4 month old.

J

js58

Not as much as his five individual medals. Ian Thorpe's a champion and has done it all on the big stage multiple times. The comparison is not even close with his achievements in his chosen sport and nearly any of our current crop of athletics competitors.

Manou is an athlete who has promised a lot during her career, like a lot of Australian T&F athletes. Apart from one performance in 2008, she has singularly failed to deliver over the course of her long career. John Steffensen won the Commonwealth Gold in the 400m in 2006 and was expected to kick on. He didn't. This is what I'm talking about. In athletics in the last 20+ years we have a history of trotting out athletes who talk a big game and don't back it up. Many times I've seen these guys rock up to a major championship and not even get close to their PB. I think could be forgiven for being a bit disappointed about that. Then there's the drama that seems to surround them, the infighting and all that crap. As a person with a love of athletics, I find it disheartening.

Well said. Are you serious OP? A team full of Manous? Honestly. 17 National Champs in this country with average athletes isn't as brilliant as you seem to think. Your stats are ridiculous too. "3rd in the world once". In a junior championships relay in the early 90s! Yes, let's select her for an individual event on the basis of that. Seriously...

And yes, Ian Thorpe's relay medals are well below his individual ones. That's why Jenny Thompson (8 gold medals in swimming, all in relays) is never going to be considered the greatest female swimmer of all time.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well said. Are you serious OP? A team full of Manous? Honestly. 17 National Champs in this country with average athletes isn't as brilliant as you seem to think. Your stats are ridiculous too. "3rd in the world once". In a junior championships relay in the early 90s! Yes, let's select her for an individual event on the basis of that. Seriously.

She is one of only 5 Australian female track world champions.

But no doubt you've got dozens of these champioship medals stashed away in some backroom. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.