• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Ones to watch in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
OK...It's getting close and we're all getting a little excited. Last year we saw the breakthrough of the Fainga'a twins and Rod Davies, the rebirth of Kurtley Beale as a fullback, and the emergence of Kane Douglas, Pat McCabe and Israel Dagg.

Who will be the finds of 2011? Bold predictions please.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I expect Whitake and Charles out west to emerge as World Cup contenders.

The Reds backrow tyros of Gill, Quirk and Schatz.

Hugh Pyle from the Rebels

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Who is the young South African who got an occasional gig in the 12. jersey last year...his name escapes me for the moment? I reckon he may well establish himself as a superstar of the game in 2011.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Who is the young South African who got an occasional gig in the 12. jersey last year...his name escapes me for the moment? I reckon he may well establish himself as a superstar of the game in 2011.

Patrick Lambie or Elton Janties?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Colin Slade to step up, likewise Danny cips. Hope to see pat mccutcheon or chris Alcock to get a chance and take it.

R

rugby_man

Watch for Lachie Mitchell from the Rebels. I've always liked him as a player and now he seems to be reaching his potential. I'd like to see him play 12 or 13 as he runs some very good lines. Also watch out for Cooper Vuna. He is a catch for Australian rugby.

T

TOCC

There are so many players names we can throw out from Melbourne because there are so many unknown quantities and equally as many vacant positions in the back-line.. It will be interesting to watch them play purely for this reason

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Watch for Lachie Mitchell from the Rebels. I've always liked him as a player and now he seems to be reaching his potential. I'd like to see him play 12 or 13 as he runs some very good lines. Also watch out for Cooper Vuna. He is a catch for Australian rugby.

agree on cooper vuna, hopefully he kicks on, he could be anything.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Will Chambers is definitely one to watch. He went well enough last season while learning the game but should really step things up to another level this year and pressure AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the Wallabies 13 spot.

It will also be interesting to find out if JP du Plessis at the Rebels can actually play. Apparently there were big wraps on him in his junior South African days but he didn't do much playing league. That said, Elsom and Palu didn't have great league careers either.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Will Chambers is definitely one to watch. He went well enough last season while learning the game but should really step things up to another level this year and pressure AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the Wallabies 13 spot.

Agreed. Towards the end of 2010 he was really starting to hit form.

Also agree with Noddy on the Western Force hookers Charles & Whitaker i'm very keen to see how they go with some regular super rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree also with Noddy on the Force hookers but young "Huge" Pyle plays for the Rats and is not Super quality at the minute IMO.

I don't think that 2009 schools stars: PAE, Jones or Gill should get on the park for their respective teams but if they do it will be interesting to see how they cope. For those more likely to get on the park I will be most interested in:

Force: Charles, Whittaker, Inman
Rebels: Weeks, Kingi, Mitchell, Vuna, Blake (work rate, scrummaging)
Brumbies: Palmer, Kimlin (health)
Waratahs: Tilse, Fitzpatrick, Douglas, BKH, Pakalani, McKibbin, Horne (health)
Reds: Chambers, Slipper, Holmes, Simmons, Cooper (defence)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Heinrich Brussow should be back shouldn't he? He had a killer 2009.

Tim Nanai-Williams for the chiefs (he started to emerge last year, can he imporove 2011?)
Sonny Bill, obviously.
Israel Dagg covering for DC at 1st 5...
The Rebels.
Mortlock - for opposite reasons to the youngsters.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers: Duvenhage, JdJ, CJ vd Linde
Lions: Jantjies, Strauss, Taute
Sharks: Scrummies (watch Conrad Hoffman), the Lampie/JL Potgieter competition, Willem Alberts.
Tin Ears: Ebersohn Twin/the loose forwards competition(Johnson/Viljoen/Brussouw/Smith/Wessels)

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Heinrich Brussow should be back shouldn't he? He had a killer 2009.

Tim Nanai-Williams for the chiefs (he started to emerge last year, can he imporove 2011?)
Sonny Bill, obviously.
Israel Dagg covering for DC at 1st 5...
The Rebels.
Mortlock - for opposite reasons to the youngsters.

Tnw is nz's JOC (James O'Connor). Is Jared Paine playing because I think he will have a good year.

Go the force!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.