• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Other SupeRugby 2014 Semi-Final - Crusaders v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There goes the dream of an all Aussie final.

Highlanders give it a red hot go but fall short against the Shorks, so it will be Tahs vs Ponies next week, with the winner to face the victor of the clash between Crusaders and Shorks on 2 August.

If the Ponies beat the Tahs, the winner of this game will get a home Grand Final.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
There goes the dream of an all Aussie final.

Highlanders give it a red hot go but fall short against the Shorks, so it will be Tahs vs Ponies next week, with the winner to face the victor of the clash between Crusaders and Shorks on 2 August.

WHEN the Ponies beat the Tahs, the winner of this game will get a home Grand Final.

fixed :D

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jake simply has to play Lambie at 10.

For the last few minutes when Pat came on we saw glimpses of the rugby the Sharks were playing the first few rounds when Pat was fit and it was a hell of a lot more threatening.

He takes the ball very flat and his quick hands allows him the find his runners. The Sharks were threatening on attack in the first few rounds because Lambie would have Frans and the loosies running off him with Frans looking for the offload.

Lambie also passes much better both ways so suddenly the outside backs come more into play.

The Sharks reverted to old style Jakeball when Lambie got broken. If they want to beat the Crusaders they have to turn the clock back to week 4.

Jake just needs to have the Jakeballs the make the change.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Phil Gifford's done a piece on stuff.co.nz giving 9 reasons the Crusaders will win. Most of them involve one or more of McCaw, Read & Carter but he does make some valid points & it's worth a read:

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10287976/Gifford-Nine-reasons-why-Crusaders-bet-safe

That's pretty confident but also very obvious. To beat this lot you have to contest everything with their back row and contain Carter. What's new?

I still think the Sharks are the one team that the Saders didn't really want to meet again because it is the only pack that troubled them this year and this time around one asuems rhey will play against 8 Sharks in the pack and it's also a more balanced lineup for the Sharks with guys like Coetzee back.

If they beat the Sharks I pick them to beat whomever they meet in the Final and wherever it is played.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
o_O Wonderfully insightful. Did they have any Stormers they want to play instead?

He's referring to when the two sides met earlier in the season and Jean Deysel was sent off about 20 minutes into the game (and somehow the Sharks still won).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Then I think they're better off playing with 7 :)

I think Jakeball can beat the Crusaders, but the risk is two quick tries to that gigantic Aussie winger with the good tan and all your goal kicking isn't worth shit.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Without Nadolo I think that backline would really be struggling to have much impact.

They've been better in the second half of the season but in the first half all they did was shuffle the ball back and forth with little deception or variation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Sharks smashed the Highlanders scrum, but did little else really.

I doubt they will be the same success against the Crusaders scrum

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Sharks smashed the Highlanders scrum, but did little else really.

I doubt they will be the same success against the Crusaders scrum
Exactly why they have to play Pat at 10. They cannot rely on the same bulluying tactics alone.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Without Nadolo I think that backline would really be struggling to have much impact.

They've been better in the second half of the season but in the first half all they did was shuffle the ball back and forth with little deception or variation.

Yep. Our supposed straight runners - Lee-lo and Tuitavake have been poor. Also whilst he is only a slight frame, Dan Carter plays a direct game whether it be at 10 or 12, so we've missed him as well. Not that Slade has played terrible, but they offer something quite different running the cutter.

The backline against the Landers in the final round was probably our best lineup

Ellis, Slade
Carter, Crotty
Fonotia, Nadolo
Dagg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So in no way going for neutral refs there. Shorks fans have their tinfoil hats on and a ready made excuse.

Not that ANY Cantab ANYWHERE has EVER given a fuck how they win, but I hope for their sake it isn't a controversial game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Glen Jackson is from the North Island and played for the Chiefs so he might hate the Crusaders more than the Sharks do :)
;)To true Braveheart.
But in reality I hate this shit about neutral refs, he not from Canterbury so he is definitely a neutral, really can't understand why people don't realise there is difference between international and super rugby!!

Reactions: gel

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Phil Gifford's done a piece on stuff.co.nz giving 9 reasons the Crusaders will win. Most of them involve one or more of McCaw, Read & Carter but he does make some valid points & it's worth a read:

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10287976/Gifford-Nine-reasons-why-Crusaders-bet-safe
You obviously don't remember that Gillford is Loosehead Len, has written tongue in cheek rugby pieces for years, though they used to be cartoons too, and back then he was Auckland based!! Never make the mistake of taking his stuff to seriously!!

Status
Not open for further replies.