• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The power of the press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
The comment was shot down (e.g.not published) - this is the third similar one to suffer this fate with the same media outlet.

I've had exactly the same experience with fairfax on multiple occasions. It doesn't matter how polite you are, or even if you're pointing out a factual error, they won't publish anything even remotely critical.

Earlier this week, Phil Lutton wrote an article which said that Liam Gill's "bizarre suplex on Nic White would have thrilled WWF legend Bret 'The Hitman' Hart". I very politely pointed out that this was an unfortunate choice of wrestler, not only because Brett was a great technician who would never endorse dangerous moves being performed by anyone who wasn't trained to do them safely, but also that he lost his brother to an accident in the ring.

Not worth publishing, apparently. When my subscription price goes back up to $30 per month in the near future, I'll be cancelling.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I tried to comment (rationally) on one of Fairfax's numerous cyclist-bashing pieces and they would not publish the comment. They would publish plenty of "Get those f&*%ing cyclists off the roads until they get rego / insurance........." comments, however. They tailor comment sections to fit the editorial whim of the writer. As ChargerWA says, not worth bothering.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's why I make comments in articles that seem to support the facist content but actually need reading between the lines. It makes me feel good, because the only people who can understand it are those who are nearly as smart as me.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I tried to comment (rationally) on one of Fairfax's numerous cyclist-bashing pieces and they would not publish the comment. They would publish plenty of "Get those f&*%ing cyclists off the roads until they get rego / insurance..." comments, however. They tailor comment sections to fit the editorial whim of the writer. As ChargerWA says, not worth bothering.

See cyclo, that's why I comment here. Bloody cyclists.;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reporters should do just that - report the facts
Commentators should do that - make comments about the facts

Any articles of the second type should be clearly identified as such.

The trouble with Reporters is they often slant the facts to represent their own views under the guise of being factual.

Most people still believe that what they read in a rag is true. Dumb fucks

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
State of The Press

For NZers it is sparse goddamn pickings out there. You have either

www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby

or

www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/headlines.cfm?c_id=4

Are there others? If there are, please let me fuckin know! Please! Get me the fuck off of of this 2-carriage railroaded rut. Destination; Fuckin What?

Gregor Paul is good value, as is Phil Gifford. Justin Marshole's analysis bits are good too but the rest of the journalists, at both sites, just merge blandly into a forgettable atrophied congenial clot of coalesced nothingness.

I could write cock rings around those pricks and I am mentally handicapped and only have a 68-word vocabulary, most of which is taken up by variations on the Norwegian word for "bumcheese".

Richard Loe? What? It takes 20 seconds to skim his "hot take" missives and then you think twitter. That's all that was.

stuff.co.nz is little more than literary rubble. It's just a nothing. How do they survive financially? What idiot would actually pay people to write like that? There is no editor. Surely not. An alluring headline which draws you in followed by some quotes from A UK PAPER (guardian, telegraph etc, or fucking twitter - jesus why not just cut your losses, tell your shit staff writers to fuck off, shut the porous cockstump down and use your twitter feed? most of your "news" is only about 3 twitter posts long anyway) and then the story abruptly ends leaving you thinking what the FUCK am I doing here?.

What has happened to Wynne Gray? The insanely lucky bastard has apparently had courtside seats to every AB's match since 10 fucking 66 but his writing is just so dire these days. It's almost an insult he has the gall to collect a paycheck for that jotted-out trite garbage. His "stories" barely manage 2 paragraphs of half-arsed ruminations and then, barely 50 words in, it just ends leaving you thinking fuck man really? This is your profession? You've got access to the Concorde flight deck but seem to think it's just fine spending 82 seconds a week mailing in a wet paper plane?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
The first 8 pages of Sydney's smh today is all rugby including a full page bmw add with a few of the boys in their livery If we progress deep into the tournie, the exposure will be massive and should have positive ramifications for sponsorships and hopefully grass roots

Status
Not open for further replies.