• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The problem with the NRC and how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Who pays for the SS to be on FTA?

Sponsors, that’s who.

Yes, we know. The ARU or those associated with the SS have never spent cent on the FTA coverage. Its fake news and the whole BS story about the ARU saying no to the 300K+.

As long as we don' t Google you are absolutely correct - as always. The sponsors did it with a candlestick in the library.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Got your Brumbies tin foil hat on today, mate?

And there it is. I believe it was that type of attitude that got the Shute Shield fraternity an unflattering mention as one of the "undercurrents" that contributed to the current predicament the game is in at the Senate hearings.

Personally i am flattered you wasted your time calling me out. Thank you.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And there it is. I believe it was that type of attitude that got the Shute Shield fraternity an unflattering mention as one of the "undercurrents" that contributed to the current predicament the game is in at the Senate hearings.

Personally i am flattered you wasted your time calling me out. Thank you.

Keep at it, my friend. The Shute Shield is now, and always will be, the premier club competition in this nation.

As for your veiled references to the Shute Shield Illuminati, I suppose we supporters should be flattered to learn how powerful we are.

T

TOCC

Keep at it, my friend. The Shute Shield is now, and always will be, the premier club competition in this nation.

As for your veiled references to the Shute Shield Illuminati, I suppose we supporters should be flattered to learn how powerful we are.

In the past 10 years there has only been 4 different winners, and the bottom 2 teams in 2017 had a combined points differential of over -1000 points.. There's not much 'premier' about that mate.. At least the QPR has strong competition between the top 4 and bottom 4.
Shute Shield has some good things going for it, but its penetration into the wider Sydney demographic and competitiveness between the teams isn't one of them, it has its own serious flaws that the powers that be choose to ignore.

T

TOCC

NSW doesn’t seem to have the depth to support 3 teams, might need to drop back to 2 like QLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TahDan - I personally would have no enthusiasm for the concept your suggesting and have no engagement with the SS beyond passing interest. It’s great that the SS Final was a success - but personally as I write this I honestly can’t recall who won.

To me the NRC has its flaws but is a far superior concept. I accept that there are some politics involved but I get frustrated when I read that some of the existing stake holders seem intent to undermine a comp that we badly need.

No doubt the NRC needs additional promotional support and better alignment with existing club comps, but we badly need to get behind it, grow it and make it successful.

I frankly struggle with the concept that it would be preferable to promote the interests of a handful of existing clubs with no existing links to the rest of us (not to downplay the contribution they and their supporters make to Australian rugby).

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well I for one don't think the NRC competition is broke, so there is no need to fix it.
It's still a relatively new competition but some of the rugby I've watched is absolutely first rate.
The fact that the Cheika, and the Super teams are behind it is obviously adding to the quality of games.
It will take time to build up a tribal following, but there has to be much more interest in it now than in the original 2 years.
The time period is also good in that the AFL & ARL seasons are finished & except for the farsical world cup in league (what a laugh), there is no other body contact footy to attract the couch potatoes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well I for one don't think the NRC competition is broke, so there is no need to fix it.
It's still a relatively new competition but some of the rugby I've watched is absolutely first rate.
The fact that the Cheika, and the Super teams are behind it is obviously adding to the quality of games.
It will take time to build up a tribal following, but there has to be much more interest in it now than in the original 2 years.
The time period is also good in that the AFL & ARL seasons are finished & except for the farsical world cup in league (what a laugh), there is no other body contact footy to attract the couch potatoes.

I'm feeling a bit like a broken record at this point but the biggest issue with the NRC (really its only real issue) is its lack of overall promotion both within the Rugby community and the wider public. The games deserve more attention in order to attract higher numbers of bums on seats and eyes on screens. It's already a solid and development product that can grow. Apart from that, I'd like to stretch for a little longer. A minimum of 10 rounds plus finals.

T

TOCC

I'd be interested to see tv ratings, they seem to be increasing albeit from a low base. The difficult factor is catering for the Sydney market, which is so divided about the best means to further promote rugby in the region.
Simply promoting club teams into the NRC won't work as the NSW teams have struggled to be consistently competitive over the course of the competition so far, but the NRC product that is currently be served in Sydney is struggling to penetrate.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd be interested to see tv ratings, they seem to be increasing albeit from a low base. The difficult factor is catering for the Sydney market, which is so divided about the best means to further promote rugby in the region.
Simply promoting club teams into the NRC won't work as the NSW teams have struggled to be consistently competitive over the course of the competition so far, but the NRC product that is currently be served in Sydney is struggling to penetrate.

The approach to Sydney is far too reliant on the clubs involved in the JV's in my opinion. They haven't traditionally been terribly good at promoting themselves even with the luxury of a TV deal. Frankly, there needs to a marketing plan in existence period. Which I seriously doubt has ever been on the ARU radar. Which is a damn shame. Hopefully, they can redirect some of the'savings' they'll be making by offing the Force to properly push this competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lets face it - NRC been run on an oily rag with no central money for marketing dollars....but that is understandable given what happened with the ARC and simple fact the ARU just did not have the funds to allocate this sort of marketing budget as competition needed to be self sustaining. So credit to achieve that and grow it without that (albeit from low base). But yes be good to find some marketing dollars (savings from Force being cut or Twiggy sponsorship money) to put towards some marketing.

Fiji have been brilliant addition but again nothing in press about NRC matches or even Fiji which darn shame. I also think having all games shown on foxsports channels would be a good move and would have thought achievable (as what Brett McKay suggested).

Linking NRC games with other key events like Schoolboys playoffs, Uni 7's and curtain raisers to Wallaby matches etc good ideas to help build promotion and get people along so more of the same I think.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Gee - alot of varying thoughts.

Grass roots in my eyes relates to clubs that have a junior rugby union - whether that be a shute shield club, or a subies club. Meaning they engage in the development of junior rugby union.

I dont think the top 4 / top 2 club model would work in replacing the NRC as it would create a greater in balance in the respective grass roots competitions around Australia.

The NRC hasnt really captured me, I'm watching Rays and Rams on the box becuase each team has players i follow. If they play against each other I'm not supporting either - I'm supporting rugby.

How I dont know - could there be a changing of the gard, with the recent debacle with Soup could another comp develop / replace.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gee - alot of varying thoughts.

Grass roots in my eyes relates to clubs that have a junior rugby union - whether that be a shute shield club, or a subies club. Meaning they engage in the development of junior rugby union.

I dont think the top 4 / top 2 club model would work in replacing the NRC as it would create a greater in balance in the respective grass roots competitions around Australia.

The NRC hasnt really captured me, I'm watching Rays and Rams on the box becuase each team has players i follow. If they play against each other I'm not supporting either - I'm supporting rugby.

How I dont know - could there be a changing of the gard, with the recent debacle with Soup could another comp develop / replace.
So given you are a good club rugby man, what would / could the nrc do to capture you Dave...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So given you are a good club rugby man, what would / could the nrc do to capture you Dave.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a good rugby man, that enjoys club ruby.

Thats a good questions that I cant answer.

I'm not a league fan at all but I enjoyed league back in the Windfield cup days where players played for clubs more than money - most of them worked a 9 - 5 job, they were real people.

NRC I have never said i didnt like it - maybe itjust hasnt grown on me yet.

I liked the old days whn North Hbr played South Hbr as a trial for Sydney who then played NSW Country - maybe 3 teams Nth / Sth / Country.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
NSW doesn’t seem to have the depth to support 3 teams, might need to drop back to 2 like QLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thant seems to change from year to year - if i recall NSW teams did alright last year. Even did alright lastweekend.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes, we know. The ARU or those associated with the SS have never spent cent on the FTA coverage. Its fake news and the whole BS story about the ARU saying no to the 300K+.

As long as we don' t Google you are absolutely correct - as always. The sponsors did it with a candlestick in the library.

Would youmind clarifying the above please.
SS is on FTA - how.
SRU played a HUGE role in enabling that to happen.
I believe FTA rating have continued to improve as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.