• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting article from the forum favourite today.
Sounds like it will get ugly,if @Ruggo gets his way...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-in-life-after-wallabies-20150212-13cw7i.html

Although this little snippet from that article could send these threads into meltdown.

But the centre of excellence lives on in the minds and plans of the ARU, which is plotting its third coming at Moore Park in Sydney's east. Sources tell The Breakdown that chairman Michael Hawker is still keen to get in on the action at the precinct housing the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium.
That would make it the fourth rugby body to call Moore Park home and plans are afoot to move the first ARU personnel from St Leonards into the building housing the Waratahs and NSW Rugby as early as May or June.

Waratah conspiracy theorists, get the tin foil hats out and unleash the dogs of war.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most lawyers are only as truthful as their clients since it is the clients who provide the instructions as to what happened etc.
if you've had a bad experience perhaps you need to look at what the clients were telling their respective lawyers.

Maybe the lawyers themselves aren't completely to blame. The entire system needs an overhaul.

But let's not pretend they're all scrupulous upholders of Justice. This is the legal system, which is completely different.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Although this little snippet from that article could send these threads into meltdown.

But the centre of excellence lives on in the minds and plans of the ARU, which is plotting its third coming at Moore Park in Sydney's east. Sources tell The Breakdown that chairman Michael Hawker is still keen to get in on the action at the precinct housing the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium.
That would make it the fourth rugby body to call Moore Park home and plans are afoot to move the first ARU personnel from St Leonards into the building housing the Waratahs and NSW Rugby as early as May or June.

Waratah conspiracy theorists, get the tin foil hats out and unleash the dogs of war.
I don't understand why they don't build it at Northbridge?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From the AFR:
"The Australian Rugby Union may strike a deal to find new owners for Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels this year, in a move that will save the governing body $2 million to $3 million"

And

As previously revealed in The Australian Financial Review, the ARU and its counterparts in New Zealand and South Africa are on the verge of a new television deal that should double the amount Australia receives for broadcasters to between $35 and $40 million annually for five years from 2016.

T

TOCC

What happened to the project at Eastwood? Is this what it's referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
From the AFR:
"The Australian Rugby Union may strike a deal to find new owners for Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels this year, in a move that will save the governing body $2 million to $3 million"

And

As previously revealed in The Australian Financial Review, the ARU and its counterparts in New Zealand and South Africa are on the verge of a new television deal that should double the amount Australia receives for broadcasters to between $35 and $40 million annually for five years from 2016.

If he pulls this off (and it's still an IF) then I guess he will deserve some credit for his negotiation skills. Hopefully if they pull it off they can then review/dump the extra pressure on grassroots rugby

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If HE pulls it off?
I thought SANZAR negotiates the deal,not the individual Unions??
Happy to give him credit for the NRC coverage,which was a significant win for the code.
Hoping he is also working on SS coverage for the coming season!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If HE pulls it off?
I thought SANZAR negotiates the deal,not the individual Unions??
Happy to give him credit for the NRC coverage,which was a significant win for the code.
Hoping he is also working on SS coverage for the coming season!
The SANZAR board is made up of the CEOs of the 3 unions. One would assume each is responsible for negotiating the broadcast deals in their own country.

T

TOCC

Yes.... SANZAR isn't an individual entity, it's a body made up of the 3 unions..

So the ARU/Pulver have played a very direct and active role in broadcast negotiations

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have looked information about the situation in Wikipedia, I'm not sure about the reliability but it's interesting.

Rugby League in Australia

Registered players: 466,182 (total registered) 51,540 (adult) and 302,842 (school comps)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_in_Australia

Rugby Union in Australia

Registered players: 86,952 (total) 41,049 (adult) and 45,903 (school comps)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Australia

So the difference between adults is only about 10k but the difference between school comps is about 256,939 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The difference in the kids is too large, I don't know how the rugby could withstand too much disadvantage in the next decades. :(

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Those numbers are 7 years ago for Rugby and 8 for League. Rugby has grown its base since - even without the inflated numbers the ARU posts. There are probably (legitimately) 225,000 players in Australian Rugby now (Club, school, 7s). With 112,000 in clubs.

League (in 2013) had 536,402 with 167,533 in clubs and 368,869 in schools. http://rugbyleague2013.nrl.com/PDF/NRL-Rugby-League-2013.pdf

It's about time that we stopped seeing ourselves as "competing" with League in that respect, too. We don't need to have the same numbers, the game just needs to grow - irrespective of whether the competition does or not.

T

TOCC

Player participation figures are notoriously inflated

Status
Not open for further replies.