• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
"Our competition structures are not robust enough, our pathways are not robust enough, so there's a lot of strategic thought being put in to developing the right strategies, right the way from under-15s to the Wallabies."

That's the sort of wisdom you pick up on your way to becoming "a multi-millionaire businessman". But basically it's just common sense. If you are about "developing the right strategies" it's a good idea to be putting in "a lot of strategic thought."

You are coming across as just a little bitter, Bruce. Tall poppy has taken some hold with you.

Do you believe the CEO of a company is the primary innovator? Or rather should they be leading and utilising the resources at their disposal as effectively and efficiently as possible to achieve the organisations goals?

If you believe the former, then you are going to be pretty disappointed anytime a leader, CEO or politician opens their mouth.

The above statement is a message for the public about what the ARU are looking at in regards to development pathways and rugby in general. The message clearly isn't about giving all the answers, but rather ensuring the public know that the ARU are acting on an identified weakness.

Of course they now have to back it up to make the message meaningful, but if they tried to explain every little detail of the process (like you appear to want them to), then the message would be lost among the white noise.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You are coming across as just a little bitter, Bruce. Tall poppy has taken some hold with you.

Do you believe the CEO of a company is the primary innovator? Or rather should they be leading and utilising the resources at their disposal as effectively and efficiently as possible to achieve the organisations goals?

If you believe the former, then you are going to be pretty disappointed anytime a leader, CEO or politician opens their mouth.

The above statement is a message for the public about what the ARU are looking at in regards to development pathways and rugby in general. The message clearly isn't about giving all the answers, but rather ensuring the public know that the ARU are acting on an identified weakness.

Of course they now have to back it up to make the message meaningful, but if they tried to explain every little detail of the process (like you appear to want them to), then the message would be lost among the white noise.
I would have thought the point about that particular quote is that it is devoid of content or it is poorly expressed, at best.
Unless, of course, "strategic thought" means something different from (or to - @A_Cat) the type of thinking that would go on in the process of thinking about the right strategies.
Does it?

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bruce - a question if I may. Uni has done very well to attract the top schoolboy and Wallaby talent. i.e Israel Folau.
Is there is a concerted effort to grow your juniors player base? I know Balmain recently started a juniors club but did Uni have anything to do with this and what support does Uni provide its junior clubs.
Having a foundation worth $2 million must enable the club to really grow the game in your part of the inner west where perhaps rugby hasnt been a strongs as other parts ( such as Drummoyne, Hunters Hill, now Balmain etc).
My personal thoughts are that the ARU should provide funding to Shute Shield clubs based on the number of juniors in its catchment. That would surely get a few clubs motivated....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I felt sorry for him last night, they set up a media day for their sponsor, get a player out for a zoom around the track (Palu) for 30 seconds of TV, and he can't fit in a car.

So Pulver has to appear in the shot.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
"Our competition structures are not robust enough, our pathways are not robust enough, so there's a lot of strategic thought being put in to developing the right strategies, right the way from under-15s to the Wallabies."

"I do worry, we operate in the world's most competitive winter sports market and our competitors are well-funded and well-run,"

Anything happening between 6 and 14 years of age Bill? Are we expecting boys to play league, Aussie Rules and Soccer until they're 15 and they will then make a Road to Damascus like conversion?

Strategic thought into developing strategies - translation "we've got no real idea what we're doing or how to make it better, but we're going to have a good think about it" (At the golf club or Balmoral Beach Club of course)

Our competitors are well funded and well run - translation "we're not, even though our competitors are league boof heads who have no idea, while we are corporate heavies who know how to run the world and make a million doing it"

Go Bill go!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anything happening between 6 and 14 years of age Bill? Are we expecting boys to play league, Aussie Rules and Soccer until they're 15 and they will then make a Road to Damascus like conversion?

Yep, this is what I was thinking when I was reading his quote. Some kids will make the switch but others won't. The plan should be to use Rugby for Dummies - otherwise known as Rugby 7's (& Rugby 10's perhaps) to bring more kids (male & female) UNDER the age of 15 into Rugby. At least that sounds like a plan to me....

The 2000 pound stud bull in the room is, of course, country rugby.

We need a solution to expand into rural areas for selection, rather than just bringing country players to the big smoke for money.

Like this x infinity.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Now that sounds like something the ARU could be good at
And how much are these guys being paid?

JON & co according to his successor have left the game neither well funded nor well run. Sort of confirms what we've all been saying doesn't it?

At least there's some strategic thinking going on, so we can all rest easy.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The 2000 pound stud bull in the room is, of course, country rugby.

We need a solution to expand into rural areas for selection, rather than just bringing country players to the big smoke for money.

Just remember all those great country players of the past. Steve Merrick, perhaps the best halfback to play 2 tests, Tim Gavin, Warrick Waugh, etc etc etc

Country Rugby used to be such a strong force in Australia. Even in 2001 when the Lions played the Cockatoos in Coffs Harbour, they got flogged but some great Rugby was played by purely amateur players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And if the ITM Cup can get to such far flung locations around New Zealand, then any third tier plan - University/U23 or whatever, needs to take in some of the country areas e.g. New England, NSW Central West, Darling Downs.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

T

TOCC

I played in country rugby for 4 years and whilst i love the game there are a number of constraint issues there..

Ideally i would like to see Darling Downs included in the QLD Premier Grade competition, but the reality of the situation is that the playing depth isn't there and they would struggle against the bigger teams.. Even the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have struggled once they lost their once sizeable financial backing which was once a big lure.

Country Rugby will always lose their better players to the bigger/better Sydney and Brisbane teams, even if you include a respective team from the country region in the Premier Grade competition similar to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, many of the players will still gravitate to the cities especially those who are contracted on academy/college/super rugby contracts..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ideally i would like to see Darling Downs included in the QLD Premier Grade competition, but the reality of the situation is that the playing depth isn't there and they would struggle against the bigger teams.. Even the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have struggled once they lost their once sizeable financial backing which was once a big lure.

Penrith and Parramatta regularly get belted too, and they've never really had financial backing. They are the kind of teams who live for rare victories and their local derbies. Some years it is to wait until one of the eastern suburbs clubs is weakened through their own lack of sponsor funds.

But it isn't often.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Can somebody please explain to Bill that we need to get kids into rugby before their balls start to drop.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Statistically improbable that Aussie teams could finish 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th given they play half their games against each other. Mr Pulver needs to brush up on his Year 5 arithmetic before making such bold statements.
This might have been posted but I cant be bothered checking all 8 pages but can't we only get-
1st
2nd
7th
8th
9th
the missing positions would go to other conferences

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I felt sorry for him last night, they set up a media day for their sponsor, get a player out for a zoom around the track (Palu) for 30 seconds of TV, and he can't fit in a car.

So Pulver has to appear in the shot.
Obviously great research by ARU. You want a player to do a lap in a sports car and you bring the biggest player that you can find? Cliffy's a Manly lad and we all love him over here, but wouldn't you send someone a little smaller for the gig?

Let's see, Genia, Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc.

No offence to forwards intended, but would you associate zooming around in sports cars with photogenic backs? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perhaps?

But then of course Bill got to do the lap.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Obviously great research by ARU. You want a player to do a lap in a sports car and you bring the biggest player that you can find? Cliffy's a Manly lad and we all love him over here, but wouldn't you send someone a little smaller for the gig?

Let's see, Genia, Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc.

No offence to forwards intended, but would you associate zooming around in sports cars with photogenic backs? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perhaps?

But then of course Bill got to do the lap.
If you are implying that the Palu size issue was a ruse to facilitate Pulver getting to do the lap, I suspect you are crediting the ARU with actually thinking. Not sure we have seen many instances that would support that hypothesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.