• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you are implying that the Palu size issue was a ruse to facilitate Pulver getting to do the lap, I suspect you are crediting the ARU with actually thinking. Not sure we have seen many instances that would support that hypothesis.
The incident is just a mataphor for the ARU.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Obviously great research by ARU. You want a player to do a lap in a sports car and you bring the biggest player that you can find? Cliffy's a Manly lad and we all love him over here, but wouldn't you send someone a little smaller for the gig?

Let's see, Genia, Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc.

No offence to forwards intended, but would you associate zooming around in sports cars with photogenic backs? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perhaps?

But then of course Bill got to do the lap.

meh, sponsor asks for player in sydney, ARU supplies wounded contracted wob not involved in camp.

sometimes f*ck ups are just f*ck ups and researching maximum the size that can fit in a car would not have been a key issue in Castrol's request or one of the things the marketing/PR of the ARU would have ever considered.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Any update from the Pulveriser on the"strategic thought being put in to developing the right strategies"?

We're waitiing Bill.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the new Junior Gold Cup for under 15 and U17's an example of "strategic thought being put into developing the right strategies, right from Under 15s to the Wallabies"?

If so, there appears to be some gaps in the amount of strategic thought that has been put into the strategy if some of the posts on the Junior Gold Cup Thread are to be believed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Noted our fearless leader on TV tonight. Despite the fact that 4 out of 5 super franchises are running at a loss and the ARU has felt the need to levy clubs (including juniors and subbies) $200, apparently everything is going swimmingly.:confused:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Noted our fearless leader on TV tonight. Despite the fact that 4 out of 5 super franchises are running at a loss and the ARU has felt the need to levy clubs (including juniors and subbies) $200, apparently everything is going swimmingly.:confused:
He should be talking Australian rugby down?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You like putting words into people's mouths don't you?

Did I say he should be talking rugby down?

Things obviously aren't going as well as we'd like, why would you say everything's fine if it's not?

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Which are the 4 as I understood the Brumbies were in the black and I assumed that the Reds since their last bailout were travelling ok. Any more detail

T

TOCC

Well they'd be wrong...

I think he meant operating budgets, in which case it would be right, Brumbies whilst financially secure in the medium term thanks to the equity injection from the Griffith development have still posted losses the last two years.

Western Force also had a solid equity base a few years back with up to $4million in cash assets, but $2million in losses over the past 3 years as well as a very tight budget in 2014 could see that all but evaporate by years end.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
One thing I noticed in Pulvers interview on the news is that he is refreshingly honest about the state of Australian rugby. Its in comparison to the NRL, FFA and AFL policy of brushing over negative incidents and always pushing a positive message even though all 3 codes have issues far more serious than rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he meant operating budgets, in which case it would be right, Brumbies whilst financially secure in the medium term thanks to the equity injection from the Griffith development have still posted losses the last two years.

Western Force also had a solid equity base a few years back with up to $4million in cash assets, but $2million in losses over the past 3 years as well as a very tight budget in 2014 could see that all but evaporate by years end.

I stand corrected........

Carry on..........

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I have a question that some of you might have more insight into than I do:

What proportion of the ARU's income would be paid in foreign currency?

When the Wallabies undertake those additional money-spinner tests outside of the November window, I imagine that they are paid in pounds. Equally, SANZAR broadcast rights sold to the UK/US (etc.) would be denominated in those currencies (likewise certain sponsorship deals, such as the AB's deal with AIG). Although those income streams are not much, they are not negligible.

I had a conversation recently about the relative financial security of the NRL, and the extent to which that security can prevent raids by northern rugby teams akin to the current Burgess-affair. The point occurred to me that when our dollar eventually depreciates to its proper level (according to the IMF around 80c presently, and likely less over the next 5/10 years), those billion dollar broadcast arrangements are going to be worth substantially less when stacked up against european rugby clubs.

The corollary of this is of course that the greater the exposure of the ARU to foreign-sourced revenue, the greater its ability to reap dividends from that (inevitable) currency shift.

The effect may not be a large one, but I'm confident that there would be some impact.

T

Train Without a Station

Well Anthony there previously was a mention of this having a negative effect during the periods of the strong AUS Dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.