• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Radikelous Qantas PC debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think this reaction is way over the top. It treats the issue as if it is completely black and white (excuse the pun).

This was a tribute to a specific player. They were dressing up like him. He just happens to have dark skin and they made that part of their costume.

If a bunch of guys turned up like this to a Fiji rugby test or something and it was generic rather than specific then I could definitely agree that it is poor form.

Dressing up as a specific person in such a way as to idolise them is not racist as far as I'm concerned.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council (NSWALC), Stephen Ryan, said he was stunned Qantas had encouraged the men.

I'm stunned that Qantas would listen to your freedom-hating demands. Does this mean you shouldn't have the right to complain? NO. Now ask yourself...Should Qantas take down their picture simply because you are "stunned"?

If;
YES: You are contradicting your own argument.
NO: Why did you complain then? Another contradiction...

This whole "i'm offended" crap falls in on itself.

''It is simply unbelievable that they wouldn't have known such a stunt could backfire,'' Mr Ryan said in a statement today.

It's unbelievable how out of touch with reality you are. Did you even ask Radike what the deal was before you complained? It seems not. PS: It didn't cause a backfire at all. The only people speaking out against this photo clearly don't know anything about rugby. Your opinion on this issue is worthless, go home. Or at least do 5 minutes of research before you complain.

''It's hard to believe that a company that has used Aboriginal iconography to try and improve its image didn't know that this could easily be construed as racist.''

What the flying f*** does this have to do with the aboriginal race? Red herring much?

Also, how on earth is it racist? How do you define "racist"?....I bet the answer is "something that offends me". Which brings me back to point 1:

Should you have the right to complain even though I am offended that you would complain? (refer to YES & NO options above).

I'm so glad we live in a country where painting your face to look more alike rugby players' with a different skin tone to you is frowned upon. Thank you Mr Ryan. The world is once again safe from the threat of rugby supporters covered in face paint taking photo's for twitter.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
After the game Radike went over to them and had a photo with them, so clearly it didn't bother him.

I would love for a copy of that picture to surface to show how stupid this all is.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
ipad-art-wide-radike-420x0.jpg

I guess Radike cant act pissed off and thump them if he was secretly upset, but he does not seem to mind.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Samo's quote about it was:

''These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun and I think it's great that they regarded me as their favourite Wallaby,'' he said.

''I didn't have an issue with it at all ... I don't know why anyone's getting worked up, that sort of reaction is just silly.''

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Pathetic moronic PC losers. They should be tarred and feather (first offence). Then shot with balls of there own shit and boiled in piss (second offence).

What ever happened to Aussie larrikans being applauded for having totally harmless fun for everyone's benefit?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a load of shit, only if these muppets new anything about the game, they would be praising samo's 1st bust making 2 of the worlds best players in there posstion. Hands of 7 and take my picture Carter look (as quoted above because it's awesome) RADIKILOUS

They would have not cared about to fellas dressed up as a wallaby.

What abot Andrew Simons when he played cricket at the gabba. There was a row of peoele dressed up like him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is a really tough issue, context is everything, these guys were clearly celebrating Samo, but the same dress can mean

082.jpg

So in the eyes of someone who don't understand or know the context, the worst is the default.

It was a dumb PR move by Qantas as a couple of wigs would have gotten them the same coverage, without the negative context.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Political correctness runs wild again. It has its place and has done good things but often goes to far.

Earlier in the year Peter Hynes refered to him as the "big burnt palm tree". I am suprised he wasn't lynched for that. The joke about Genia being his son is based on them both being black and it doesn't bother anybody.

Just plain bullshit this article and another wanker looking to start trouble.

B

Blackjack

This drives me bonkers. The whole blackface thing is a result of AMERICAN slavery. It was designed to make fun of their plantation workers. It has no context here. Australian never had a blackface theatrical tradition or slavery. Why do we blindly take on all of american culture. We've done some awfully racist things here, but blackface was not one. There is no need for us to import american guilt over this. If we begin to shun any action that has been construed to be racist in any part of the world at any time, this shit will get out of hand.

Here is a link explaining blackface theater for those who do not understand,

A

Army_Gav

This drives me bonkers. The whole blackface thing is a result of AMERICAN slavery. It was designed to make fun of their plantation workers. It has no context here. Australian never had a blackface theatrical tradition or slavery. Why do we blindly take on all of american culture. We've done some awfully racist things here, but blackface was not one. There is no need for us to import american guilt over this. If we begin to shun any action that has been construed to be racist in any part of the world at any time, this shit will get out of hand.

Its all because of that arrogant tool Harry Connick Jr having a cry on Hey Hey its Saturday 2 years ago.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
AT the end of the day, the wanker who wrote the article will be known as a wanker.

Whats his next article, why QANTAS doesn't have a U after the Q. why BECUASE NOONE GIVES A FUCK MATE. Just like your other article.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
AT the end of the day, the wanker who wrote the article will be known as a wanker.

Whats his next article, why QANTAS doesn't have a U after the Q. why BECUASE NOONE GIVES A FUCK MATE. Just like your other article.

Next article will be that Kurtley Beale is racist for claiming he has two black eyes. :lmao:

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)

I thought what Harry Connick said was understandable. Was it not along the lines of "This is racist where I come from". And indeed, due to several hundered years of slavery, and coming from the South of the USA, I can understand why he wished to make that comment and was sensitive in the context of an American.

However, why are Australian caucasians now apologists for US black faced theatre, which has no tradition here, and which the majority of Australians have no understanding of? When does end? I guarantee you I'm more offended by the stupidity of these people making the complaint, than they are about some face paint.

In Friday's MX in Brisbane, Samo was interviewed and commented that previously Reds fans had come to games with wig and facepaint, and how honored he was to have fans dress in his unique style.

Again, where does it end? I was in Suncorp yesterday, and seating was deliniated via colour; eg. Blue section, maroon, white section. Can some dickhead now complain that there is a "white" section, and this kind of segregation is offensive?

I have just come from living in the U.K., at times one of the most painfully PC places you can go. During that time at work;
1. I was warned not to use the term "Pom" as some people found it racially offensive
2. I witnessed a member of staff go to a hearing with HR, as they used the term "pot calling the kettle black" with another white colleague. A black member of staff overheard this and thought it racially offensive. IS THAT WHAT WE WANT AUSTRALIA?

It is worth remembering that racism still is an issue. There is a need to stamp out casual racism, and Australia still is yet to have reached a situation where all Aboriginal people are able to fully intergrate into this society. Is it not more important these are the issues under discussion, rather than this utter nonsense with Samo?

Status
Not open for further replies.