• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2019

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Same deal in Melbourne, only we're hitched to a dodgy product that might beat the Argies at home.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm going out on a limb here, and it's probably a very slender one so I might fall and suffer concussion along the way, but I am prepared to predict the Wallabies have the team to beat the Saffas in the RC.

I am placing my confidence on a couple of aspects.

One, Brumbies players should make up a reasonable proportion of the team and in this year's Super season the Brumbies played and beat the four SA teams.

Then, I am optimistically expecting the Wallabies team selections to be based more on form than on incumbency/experience with the influence of the other two members of the selection committee coming to the fore.

The fly in the ointment could well be a game plan that doesn't have any similarities to how any of the four Aussie teams have played this year in which case it could all end up a shambles. I am most concerned if the defensive system adopted by Nathan Grey over the past 4 years or so, is again brought to the fore, but I am also fearful that the plan in attack will be to go wide early at the expense of dominating up front first of all.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^add to this that it seems that the Saffers will start a reasonably experimental team. If WBs play their cards right a win is entirely possible.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How many players will the Bokke be bringing back from Europe? That might be another factor, one way or the other.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
"It's a given, but that's for me to take the pressure. Because when you look at it, what is the difference between Lukhanyo Am and Jesse Kriel? What is the difference between Beast Mtawarira and Steven Kitshoff? What is the difference between Trevor Nyakane and Frans Malherbe? What is the difference between Eben Etzebeth and Franco Mostert? Or Franco Mostert and Lood de Jager? There are very few players where you can say this one is streets ahead of this one.
Rassie has not listened to the podcast about the value of combinations and continuity.

He picked the right game to go in half-cocked though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AB squad for Argentina:

Asafo Aumua, Dane Coles, Liam Coltman, Nepo Laulala, Atu Moli, Angus Ta'avao, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Ofa Tuungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Jackson Hemopo, Sam Cane (c), Vaea Fifita, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith,
Brad Weber, Beauden Barrett, Josh Ioane, Ngani Laumape, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Braydon Ennor, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Rieko Ioane, Sevu Reece, Ben Smith (vc).

Frizell didn't travel due to a cut knee.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Approaching NZ levels of hubris. Geez I hope we beat them.

Of course they splitting their squad, I not sure why you surprised NZ doing same, and would be very surprised if Wallabies don't do same at some stage, WC is the big prize this year, I have said before in threads this is Wallabies chance to get in some wins etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Only 8 of the team to play the Wallabies will travel to NZ to meet up with the initial 15. That means either the starting side for the Wallabies match will only be half strength, or if the initial 15 are the more likely starters then it will be a team of reserves for the Wallabies. Either way, there will be no excuse if the Wallabies don't come away with the bickies, and by a pretty fair margin.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only 8 of the team to play the Wallabies will travel to NZ to meet up with the initial 15. That means either the starting side for the Wallabies match will only be half strength, or if the initial 15 are the more likely starters then it will be a team of reserves for the Wallabies. Either way, there will be no excuse if the Wallabies don't come away with the bickies, and by a pretty fair margin.
Based on Rassie's comments the experimental team is at home to the Wallabies and the more locked in starters are flying to NZ.

It certainly makes sense.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Of course they splitting their squad, I not sure why you surprised NZ doing same, and would be very surprised if Wallabies don't do same at some stage, WC is the big prize this year, I have said before in threads this is Wallabies chance to get in some wins etc.
split our squad? we dont have the depth for that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's be honest, hardly anyone really cares who wins TRC in a non-RWC year & even fewer in a RWC year.

Shag's on record as saying priority 1 is RWC, priority 2 is Bledisloe Cup & winning TRC would be a bonus. I'd imagine TGC's priorities are the same & looks very much like Rassie's are 1. RWC 2. AB

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I doubt whether anyone will play strongest team throughout RC mate, just doesn't make sense, they have to trial combinations

As for the Wallabies, Dan, I'll believe it when I see it. Winning for us is such a rare occasion, I'm sure it will be all out to get as many wins as possible before the RWC.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think for the Wallabies the momentum will be important and there will be relatively little experimentation. There are some key positions (eight, blindside, hooker, fullback, maybe five-eighth) that may require looking at a couple of blokes, but you'd think there are equally as many positions or combinations that are pretty well set.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon 8 is pretty much nailed down. What do you know that I don't (could be a lot, I must admit)?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think for the Wallabies the momentum will be important and there will be relatively little experimentation. There are some key positions (eight, blindside, hooker, fullback, maybe five-eighth) that may require looking at a couple of blokes, but you'd think there are equally as many positions or combinations that are pretty well set.

I assume you mean backup hooker because it's currently Fainga'a, daylight, somebody who's not Fainga'a............

And a similar situation at no 8 with Naisarani.