• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2019

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I expect Naisarani will be the 8. But Samu has a pretty strong case too IMO.

With regards to Fainga’a, I think the question there is whether Cheika will back Uelese coming back from injury in the manner he has backed Dempsey in the past. I don’t disagree with your assessment of form though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I assume you mean backup hooker because it's currently Fainga'a, daylight, somebody who's not Fainga'a....

And a similar situation at no 8 with Naisarani.

No it's mostly what I meant. I think Fainga'a and Isi are definitely the right blokes to play those positions before anyone else, but neither have played much test footy (or any in Isi's case). The door is still open for others if they don't lock down those spots. I would like for them to play so well that it's a certainty that should be in the starting XV, but you never know.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No it's mostly what I meant. I think Fainga'a and Isi are definitely the right blokes to play those positions before anyone else, but neither have played much test footy (or any in Isi's case). The door is still open for others if they don't lock down those spots. I would like for them to play so well that it's a certainty that should be in the starting XV, but you never know.

Although Fainga'a hasn't played much test footy, the other options are Latu and Uelese, the former having only played a few more tests, and the latter only coming off the bench twice.........

I think Latu is lucky to be there, and there's always a brain explosion waiting around the corner..........

Uelese is the player that could challenge for a spot, but we'll have to see if he was the same player he was two years ago......... but at this stage the position seems to be Fainga'a's to lose.

As for Naisarani............. I don't think incumbency is going to account for much in this Wallabies team and there's really no one to challenge him on form, and he has the added benefit of being a good lineout jumper.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Any idea who this is, if true?
D40477EF-E6C2-4555-901D-6313E69D39EA.png

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Although Fainga'a hasn't played much test footy, the other options are Latu and Uelese, the former having only played a few more tests, and the latter only coming off the bench twice...

I think Latu is lucky to be there, and there's always a brain explosion waiting around the corner....

Uelese is the player that could challenge for a spot, but we'll have to see if he was the same player he was two years ago... but at this stage the position seems to be Fainga'a's to lose.

As for Naisarani..... I don't think incumbency is going to account for much in this Wallabies team and there's really no one to challenge him on form, and he has the added benefit of being a good lineout jumper.

Totally agree on the alternatives. I don't think Latu should be anywhere near the squad, it's obviously reflective of the lack of depth of experience in the position.

Isi I am hoping is the answer, but is obviously completely untested. If he fails to take his chance it creates a selection headache.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't agree with the Latu hate. He's copped a few yellows that weren't malicious, purely technique related. With regards to his off field discretions, he's been booked for a DUI and taken it fair on the chin. As far as I know there aren't any other off field incidents on his record. He's taken steps to address that, DUI needs to be taken seriously but it's not like he beat his GF up or something. He's clearly talented, probably even more than Fainga'a, and if the coaches reckon they can bring out the best in him he's definitely worth a bit of persistence, especially as there isn't a clear second option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't agree with the Latu hate. He's copped a few yellows that weren't malicious, purely technique related.

You're being generous.............

He's given away penalties that weren't malicious, he's given away penalties that were malicious, but regardless he's prone to giving away dumb, match costing penalties.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
“I tried to chase after him and he got in the car...”

You can just imagine Tupou in pursuit, legs and arms pumping at a million miles an hour. Lucky the assailant had a car, don’t think Tupou would have worried about wrapping the arms if he caught him.

At least Taniela wasn’t seriously injured and I’m sure he will laugh it off and be ready to go next week. Probably will cop a bit of stick for being the biggest guy in the team and being the target of a robbery.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He was apparently with 8 other players. That is a brave mugger. Would have had to be very confident he was going to get away.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't agree with the Latu hate. He's copped a few yellows that weren't malicious, purely technique related. With regards to his off field discretions, he's been booked for a DUI and taken it fair on the chin. As far as I know there aren't any other off field incidents on his record. He's taken steps to address that, DUI needs to be taken seriously but it's not like he beat his GF up or something. He's clearly talented, probably even more than Fainga'a, and if the coaches reckon they can bring out the best in him he's definitely worth a bit of persistence, especially as there isn't a clear second option.

Sorry, have to respectfully disagree with that. The amount of times I've seen the guy do something brainless (and that's just on the field) says to me that he shouldn't be in the side. The problem is the alternatives are very inexperienced at test level.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You're being generous.....

He's given away penalties that weren't malicious, he's given away penalties that were malicious, but regardless he's prone to giving away dumb, match costing penalties.

I'm not suggesting he's a model of discipline but have you actually got an example of him doing this?
Sorry, have to respectfully disagree with that. The amount of times I've seen the guy do something brainless (and that's just on the field) says to me that he shouldn't be in the side. The problem is the alternatives are very inexperienced at test level.

Again, I'd like to see the evidence. In his 6 Soup appearances this season he got penalised twice. The point is that ill discipline and poor technique can both be addressed through coaching.

He might be more prone to doing something silly than other alternatives but he's also a better player. As with everything it's a risk/reward scenario. It's like not picking Beale purely because there's a chance he might let a match deciding try in at the 79th minute. You can't counter for every possible contingency.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He might be more prone to doing something silly than other alternatives but he's also a better player.

Better player than whom?

His lineout throwing isn't great........... he has the occasional good game, but even taking away his ill discipline his form is not consistent enough, particularly this year, to be deemed better than a number of hookers.

He might be more prone to doing something silly than other alternatives but he's also a better player. As with everything it's a risk/reward scenario. It's like not picking Beale purely because there's a chance he might let a match deciding try in at the 79th minute. You can't counter for every possible contingency.

If Beale let a match deciding try in the 79th minute every few games then there'd probably be concern over his selection.

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Better player than whom?

His lineout throwing isn't great..... he has the occasional good game, but even taking away his ill discipline his form is not consistent enough, particularly this year, to be deemed better than a number of hookers.

If Beale let a match deciding try in the 79th minute every few games then there'd probably be concern over his selection.

It's difficult to assess Latu's form admittedly on this season, but on potential he's better than the other alternatives. IMO. But that isn't really the point of the discussion.

The Beale example wouldn't be confined to him alone of course, the point there was that you can't not select a player purely on the off chance they may or may not do something. Back to Latu, if there was evidence of repeated costly infringements at critical times then that's a different issue. But there isn't, just a misguided perception of it.