• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Club thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Am I the only person that was left shit to tears after the Rugby Club last night?

My gripes are

Although being a tosser, Greg Martin has taken it to a new level. I thought it would get better without Jeremy Paul but thank you very much dickhead as you have just stepped up to be the next Jeremy Paul. The Rebels may have been lousy last week but too completely shit can their future prospects by ridiculing them on national TV is not good for the game at all. Stirling Mortlock hardly set the world on fire last week but let's face it that the bloke is returning from a long injury lay off and is playing in a side with no combinations. The way Greg Martin belittled him was a disgrace and such disrespect is just not fitting for a man that has given so much to Australian Rugby. Marto you are a grub and I don't recall you having anything positive to say for the entire show.

On the other hand Cannon and Horan were good as everything they said was positive or constructive.

The other thing that pissed me off was the interview with Robbie Deans. I got the impression they ambushed him with the questions about the Christchurch earthquake. The bloke looked to be struggling emotionally and at least McCardle had the sense to pick up on the elephant in the room and change the topic and change the subject.

Anyhow rant over. :angryfire:

Reactions: daz

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I found that Cannon and co was pushing the Waugh and Mortlock barrow far to much. This occurred last week and now this week with Deans. I can see a place for Phill come the world cup but the way Cannon carried on gave me the shits.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, the first few minutes were painful to watch.

Martin's dismissive comments of the Rebels were completely over the top. But that's not the last Super team the Tahs are going to make a mess of, and sooner or later the Rebels are going to embarrass someone and it may be the Brumbies tonight. They were not all that brilliant last week and would have been soundly beaten but for the worst case of the dropsies you're likely to see this year.

But what really gets me is the embarrassing amateur hour stuff they do to try to attract the mungos. You need an IQ of under 50 to enjoy that stuff on TV - its fine for skylarking around at training but on national TV? No.

Its the only Rugby show on TV and its not doing the code any good at all. AFL's 'On the couch' absolutely leaves it for dead. Why do I have to turn my brain off to watch?

If the producers want a segment to fill in for the crap can I suggest that they do one on the Fantasy comp - who's top of the Fantasy ladder, which players were good picks and why, what to look out for next week, how to get over the multiple bye weeks. It would be shameless self-promotion but provide real interest for viewers and introducing the overall winner on the last show of the year would add to the prize pool.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Not the first time Martin goes TF and belittles people, he did it last week and i mentioned it, seems like he took it to a whole new level last night.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Deans always interviews badly, but that may be because I cant understand a fucking word he says. "mrI'll hamrve to loomrk into thmeir plamrv thus werk" Open your fucking mouth and ennunciate

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I much prefer McCardle hosting to Greg Clarke, though. I like the way Fox Sports have gotten their Fox Sports News presenters involved in one particular sport (eg McCardle on rugby, that fairly attractive brunette on soccer, etc).

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
the show should be just 30min have 15 min of talk about the teams, then an interview then tactics stuff. too long atm.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I find it annoying on Thursdays - it coincides with rugby training and I miss the first half an hour, or I have to watch the repeat at 11:30.

D

daz

You know things are going downhill when you end up fast forwarding 20-30 minutes of crap.

The Rugby Club doesn't seem to know what it wants to be; The Footy Show, NRL/AFL Teams or On the Couch.

I'll take something closer to On the Couch, if that's alright.....

In the meantime, thank God for the G&GR podcasts.

D

daz

Not the first time Martin goes TF and belittles people, he did it last week and i mentioned it, seems like he took it to a whole new level last night.

I find that Martin dates the show badly and when he does open his mouth, it is often cringe-worthy which is a massive turn-off. All respect to him, the man is an ex-Wallaby, if only for 9 caps. But given the other talent out there who could fill that seat, I would lose Martin in a flash. I'd rather see Horan and Kearns/Cannon + Kafe special comments as the core group, with Martin's seat taken by a rotating special guest (current player out through injury or bye which would add real relevance to the show, or even a one off ex-legend for specific subject matter knowledge).

I also think Martin is very much removed from the reality of todays club and player network. He doesn't know these current guys well enough.

While Kearns and Horan are long since retired, they are also legends of the game and know it inside and out. Kafer brings some excellent analysis to the mix. I like Canno but he can occasionally slip into locker room playfulness too easily.

JP can just fucking vanish. Please.

Anyway, my 2 cents.....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also think Martin is very much removed from the reality of todays club and player network. He doesn't know these current guys well enough.

Anyway, my 2 cents.....

Plus Marto works for a FM radio station on their breakfast show. They're paid to be obnoxious.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Phil Waugh chucking the sunnies was funny.
The whole segment was awesome, I was pissing myself.
Phil kicking the goal from the side, and hitting the flick pass.... but then not moving the tackle bag very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.