• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thought tonight's show was better than previous years. It's coming off a low base, but it's definitely improving.

Eales and Sharpe are too good choices.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Well my hopes for TRC are gone for another year. It was a tough week with no results to speak of so will give them a couple of chances. It is just so bland and the analysis is generally so poor.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well my hopes for TRC are gone for another year. It was a tough week with no results to speak of so will give them a couple of chances. It is just so bland and the analysis is generally so poor.

Couldn't agree more. Why they try to make everything a comedy sketch is beyond me. Leave the laughs to Maloney and raise the discussion to a more intelligent level in the rest of the show. Last night was a lost opportunity to have an informative discussion on the prospects of the Aus teams, but really didn't have any new insights despite having Eales on the panel. And Kearns' only inout I remember was an inane comment that the Tahs will win this year's super comp when Eales was making a point that they will win more fans' support if they continue their progress from last year.

And definitely get rid of that props feature. Showcase the real skills of players in their proper positions rather than try to manufacture things that are completely unrealistic.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Even though I was in the Rugby Club thread I still had to read this a few times. I couldn't work out what had happened to make you think at this stage that the Rugby Championship (TRC) was already lost! ;)

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I enjoyed it, and so did the missus who doesn't watch or follow rugby. They're obviously throwing a wider net. Glad JE & NS are there.
Matt Dunning seems to have forgotten where the pie machine is!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Lots of people need to realise they NEED those comedy segments to entice non-rugby fans, or those who aren't as technical about it (young adults, children, wives).

If it was all technical and analysis I can guarentee the ratings would decrease and not increase as many of you think.

Not everyone is diehard rugby fans like us at GAGR, the show is trying to grab the biggest demographic sections it can realistically reach.

T

TOCC

Agreed, even the casual rugby fan has little interest in the technical analysis, as long as the humour doesn't turn to the rubbish shit they had last year of throwing a pie in someone's face then it's ok, keep things in good taste.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Was interesting to hear John Eales thoughts especially that the Reds have the best roster in Australia and that Jake White had no one at the Brumbies and will do well at the Sharks with a strong squad

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Can Nick McArdle have a crack at commentating? I just can't warm to Horan. He comes across as a swat trying to impress the school master. McArdle has actually commentated a dozen different sports. I'm sure he is capable of providing some insight.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I like the new look of the new TRC & begrudgingly understand that they need to appeal to a larger audience so I can cop a couple of comedy elements I guess. In actuality I'd prefer the Next Prop Model part over that French thing Drew & Gits are doing. At this stage the look has changed but the content is roughly the same. Agree with Hawktrain re: the lack of interview variety. Early in the season though.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I am still waiting for this show to actually be something, but I'm afraid it never will. Like the foxsports web pages which edged closer to stupidity when they gave each sport its own colour on their site, and what colour did Rugby get? babyshitbrown....

Now the show and the website are starting to match. Worst of all is, why do I keep watching both?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am still waiting for this show to actually be something, but I'm afraid it never will. Like the foxsports web pages which edged closer to stupidity when they gave each sport its own colour on their site, and what colour did Rugby get? babyshitbrown..

Now the show and the website are starting to match. Worst of all is, why do I keep watching both?
I think the expectations you have for the show are way too high. Rugby HQ is no worse than Rugby Club UK, Reunion (NZ) or Scrum V. If you're waiting for it to 'be something' without actually saying what the producers should do the improve the format of the show, why torture yourself by watching it?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Georgina Robinson is making a good contribution to the panel.

Much rather listen to her contributions than the frequent infantile crap we get to hear from Marto and Kearns.

Anyone hear the Tom English slip of the tongue "We were a bit laxative last week" about the Rebels performance against the Force?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Much rather listen to her contributions than the frequent infantile crap we get to hear from Marto and Kearns.

Anyone hear the Tom English slip of the tongue "We were a bit laxative last week" about the Rebels performance against the Force?

Yep....the missus and I had a bit of a chuckle over that one :)

Sybil

Frank Row (1)

Indeed. And I like the way she gives the rest of them a bit of crap.

Does anyone know her (approx) age or how long she's been reporting on rugby? We were having a discussion about that last night - 20's? 30's?

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

no, missed it, ended up watching the cricket, but still it is good that some people answer questions honestly without beating around the bush.

And VERY refreshing to see them answer in an aussie way 'we gave a lot of our fans the shits last weekend with our performance'

Of course, it could just have been a slip of the tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.