• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammeroid

Chris McKivat (8)
Wasn't awkward when Nick asked Quade about the incident in 2012 at the gold coast when Moore and sharpe questioned Quades attitude. His response was like "I don't really remember that".

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
.......Nick asked Quade about the incident in 2012 at the gold coast when Moore and sharpe questioned Quades attitude. His response was like "I don't really remember that".
In that case perhaps we should be discussing this in the concussion thread.........

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Quade's not the sharpest tool in the box, but he does remember what he said last time and faithfully repeats it. Every time. Dunno why that get him on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade's not the sharpest tool in the box, but he does remember what he said last time and faithfully repeats it. Every time. Dunno why that get him on.

While he is "working hard on his rehab" he may want to work harder on his presentation skills if he wants to leverage his talent into corporate dollars

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
While he is "working hard on his rehab" he may want to work harder on his presentation skills if he wants to leverage his talent into corporate dollars

Yes, QC (Quade Cooper) on the show in a speaking role - WTF?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I didn't see Quade last night, but I usually enjoy it when he is interviewed/commenting. I find him to be more of an open book than most. he is never going to host a talk show, but you have to view it in the context of him as a rugby player doing this as a fan interaction.

The rest of the bozo's on the show get paid full time to do what they do as a job, so they don't get a free pass like Quade.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeh some training footage would be good. They showed a bit last night, but not much.

The only footage they ever show is of a couple of guys dong passing drills at jogging pace. They are so obviously staged its ridiculous. You'll see better footage in a warm-up before the game.

I've watched a full Tah training session under Cheika. It was fast, brutal and almost at match day intensity. Some footage like that would be genuinely interesting. What gets shown now is just fake.

PS Mind you, if it was footage of a Tahs session, you'd have to change the classification or beep the footage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you really think the Wallabies would want their proper training footage disected and televised in the lead up to a test?

T

TOCC

Well let's not forgot what happened last time Quade went on the show and spoke his mind, rightfully or wrongly his use of cliches and broad generalisations is a byproduct of the backlash against his criticism of Deans and the Wallaby setup in that interview in 2012..

That question about the Argentinan test was a stupid question, even if Quade gave an honest answer it would have only served to generate news articles about old issues..

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeh some training footage would be good. They showed a bit last night, but not much.

Most training sessions these days are limited to just 10-15 mins for video footage so you won't get too much out of that except the warm up/stretching

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very disappointed the show didn't have any coverage or discussion of the U20s. A review of first round games and preview of Aus v Eng might have been good.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
... and if Tim Horan can become a commentator/panelist, I don't see any reason why Quade can't later in life.

People complain about Marto; I do too. But if I had to choose between Marto and Horan, I'd take Marto every time. Horan was our greatest ever 12, best player on the planet in 1999, but he is an opinionated nightmare of a commentator. Doesn't understand that if you are asking the questions in an interview then its the interviewee that people are interested in listening to. Doesn't know how to ask an open question. Doesn't understand how to stay on point in a panel discussion. Comes over like he lives in his own little world. Doesn't seem to know much about what is happening in rugby now (a lot of posters here seem to know far more than he does).

People in QLD get very upset when we Southerners suggest they all have an intellectual disability. But when we trot out Marto and Horan as good examples tongue in cheek, our case is instantly proven.

So please, don't lets have Quade as a panellist when he retires. My theory is that when players are instinctive in their play - like Horan, Campese and Quade they make very poor commentators. The good ones, like Sharpe and Kafer, didn't have that instinctive gene and so had to learn to think and reflect before they got good at something. I'd bet Ben Mowen would make a good one, he had to be able to think it out and become successful through training and analysis. That's what you are looking for in a commentator.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hawko - I thought you had a good point there, not sure why you had to take a swipe at Qlders.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko - I thought you had a good point there, not sure why you had to take a swipe at Qlders.

Couldn't help myself. I'll have to try to be more restrained.

BH's comment about Eales is valid. But once again, Eales was not an instinctive genius, he had to think out his game to become great. And that makes him a good commentator.

Status
Not open for further replies.