• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whilst the drive from Khancoban to Dead Horse Gap (in either direction) is awesome, it's not exactly the most direct route to the ski fields!

Are you just after a more scenic drive?

Unless there are crazy amounts of snow, just drive to Perisher.

Yes. Plus traffic into the snowfields from the east is worse I believe.

I'm not going to the fields for skiing, just showing snow to the kids

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't want to ski.
I don't want my kids to ski.
In fact, despite my outdoorsy nature, I don't wish to spend any more time freezing, wet, and surrounded by dickheads and their spawn than I absolutely have to.

I'm going there to have a look at the high country in winter, throw the kids into the snow (so they can say they've done it), and help them build a snowman or some shit - whatever you do in the snow.

Once that is complete, I shall hop into my warm car, with the seat warmer running, and drive off towards the nearest comfortable bed that isn't ridiculously overpriced, and have a rum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes. Plus traffic into the snowfields from the east is worse I believe.

I'm not going to the fields for skiing, just showing snow to the kids

It would take you a bit under an hour from Jindy to Perisher or Thredbo at most points in the season unless there are major issues on the road.

I can't imagine you'd save that time going the other way. Khancoban to Dead Horse Gap is a slow drive on windy roads with a massive hill to drive up (so you get caught behind slow vehicles).

Anyway, it's a good drive.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I haven't recovered enough to make it to Thredbo this weekend
mrbang.gif

Hopefully "Snowzilla" (TM, Donza) delivers enough so that there's some fresh stuff next weekend.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't want to ski.
In fact, despite my outdoorsy nature, I don't wish to spend any more time freezing, wet, and surrounded by dickheads and their spawn than I absolutely have to.

I'm going there to have a look at the high country in winter, throw the kids into the snow (so they can say they've done it), and help them build a snowman or some shit - whatever you do in the snow.

Once that is complete, I shall hop into my warm car, with the seat warmer running, and drive off towards the nearest comfortable bed that isn't ridiculously overpriced, and have a rum.
We're not all dickheads, but the quotient is high.

Don't shit in the snow. Build a snow-THP.

Cheap bed and rum? Merchant Navy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I didn't say "cheap". I was just after not over priced.

You make an income from cutting people open. I just do it for fun.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Pfitzy, there's no such thing as 'cold', only inappropriate clothing. A recommendation for your trip - stop in at Aldi in Cooma and pick up some good quality ski clothing (gloves, thermals, jackets, etc) for very reasonable prices. The ski clothing sale at Aldi was last month and the company ships unsold gear to their Cooma store. Another recommendation would be to stay in Cooma before or after your trip to the snow. My father owned a motel there for a few years and room rates are a lot lower than Jindabyne or Thredbo.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy, there's no such thing as 'cold', only inappropriate clothing. A recommendation for your trip - stop in at Aldi in Cooma and pick up some good quality ski clothing (gloves, thermals, jackets, etc) for very reasonable prices. The ski clothing sale at Aldi was last month and the company ships unsold gear to their Cooma store. Another recommendation would be to stay in Cooma before or after your trip to the snow. My father owned a motel there for a few years and room rates are a lot lower than Jindabyne or Thredbo.

Everything you say looks good. Will give it some thought.

In other news: SON OF MEGABLIZZARD!!!!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...cal-mirror-image/story-e6frfqdr-1226969271812

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone been / planning a trip across the ditch?

Conditions over there look pretty decent this season.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't want to ski.

Where do you get this bullshit?

People from all walks of life ski all over the world.

It's the same as walking down the street: you avoid the dickheads. They are there but you can see them all the same and if it really bothers you just don't go to Thredbo where there is a larger concentration. I canlt see myself heading there again but it has more to do with being ripped off than the dickheads.

Cold is so much of a non-issue.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyone been / planning a trip across the ditch?

Conditions over there look pretty decent this season.
Conditions in many fields have been ordinary - just spoke to people back from Queenstown / Wanaka area and they had some decent snow towards the end of the 2 weeks they were there.
Someone at my club in Thredbo who trains in NZ at Cardrona usually (she's an Olympian) has been in Thredbo for a few weeks because the snow was crap over there.
But they often get a late kick on.
My gripe when I went there was the hour-long trip up and back each day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good fucking gracious is there any legal argument that a pack of utter c**ts WON'T try these days?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know that guy. He's a bloody handy lawyer ( in my unqualified opinion). Not surprised he beat 'em.
They need to sort replacing Ramshead chair at least, and upgrade a few others to shift bodies up the hill faster, like the bulk carriage they have in Perisher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
My wish list would be to replace the Kosci chair with a six seater detachable (or an eight seater if there's enough room at Eagles Nest) and move the current quad chair to Ramshead/Funnelweb, with the bottom station around the old Tower 10 on the Ramshead - lower World Cup, Little Beauty - and the top station in an area that can access both the Basin and Golf Course Bowl. The Basin would probably then need replacing with a duplex T-bar and the old T-bar could be relocated to Merritts Falls, so that you can move from Central Spur to the Basin without having to ski to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.