• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Timely bump - Blue cow looks almost skiiable
Xsummit.jpg

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Family reunion in Jindy during the coming long weekend. Could be hard keeping them all in one place when they will all want to be on the slopes!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Both Thredbo and Perisher are opening for the season on Friday. Cold conditions over the next few days will allow the resorts to put a good base of manmade snow down over the natural snow. My guess is that Thredbo will have Friday Flat and Merritts open, with the possibility of High Noon and the Supertrail off Snowgums also open. Perisher will have Front Valley and possibly the quad chair open to mid station. There might also be a chance for the Terminal chair and beginners area at Blue Cow to open.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When was the last year that there were skiable conditions at the resorts on the June Long Weekend?

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
The NSW resorts have been able to open at least some terrain on the QBW for the past few years because the snowmaking technology is so good now. I worked the long weekend in 2012 and Thredbo had Friday Flat and Merritts open on the Saturday and opened High Noon on the Sunday.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
another quick dump on Thursday is expected - 5-10cm for most resorts.

After the non-stop snow making on top of the 30cm from Sunday it should make for an good start.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm surprised there has been no talk about Vail buying Perisher & the $700 global pass they were offering.

Good point.
My snouts whisper that sales of Perisher season tickets have taken off as a result. Employees seem to be reasonably pleased with the new direction.
Will dig deeper this weekend.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Thredbo has responded to the Perivail pass by joining the Mountain Collective, which includes two day lift tickets and half-price tickets beyond that at a number of US and Canadian resorts including Whistler, Lake Louise, Snowbird, Alta, Squaw Valley, Aspen/Snowmass, Mammoth, Jackson Hole and Sun Valley. Two day tickets at Valle Nevado, Chile and Hakuba resorts are also included. The Mountain Collective pass is a good option if you're planning a road trip in the US and Canada. I think that Thredbo would be working hard behind the scenes to make the Mountain Collective pass more like a season pass to be competitive with the Perivail season pass.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
The Epic season pass is a great thing - me thinks it will drop the ass out of the Japanese Market. I know I'll be renewing next year for a trip in 2016/17

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xat1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11350495_10152791697416786_5396698606605973307_n.png?oh=31a254028535b608cbe3c98f009bb786&oe=55E8B414&__gda__=1441877525_9c7fdac5b7cc4656b3ab202413798e9a
If you're planning to go to the snow for the opening weekend here's a summary of what's open.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Blue cow opening tomorrow....I'm guessing the groomers have been hard at work packing down the man-made stuff.
Hopefully some white stuff prior to my first day skiing on the 29th.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Had a rugby weekend in Melbourne and flew back to Canberra late yesterday afternoon. Was on the right side of the plane to see the mountains and there is only snow on the Main Range at the moment. Selwyn stood out because there's snowmaking on the runs but no snow on the surrounding summits.

The forecast is rain early this week but hopefully turning to snow mid-week. I am having my first weekend at Thredbo this weekend so will be able to give a first-hand account of conditions.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Off to Queesntown NZ next week. Coronet Peak 45cm yesterday, Remarkales 80cm yesterday and Cardrona web site is down. Looking Good :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.