• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not that I am aware

When they did mine they blew out a new shell first (to fit my clown feet), then built new foot beds, then did the foam including the tongue

I had boots fitted in Whistler. Pretty good. I have skinny shins and narrow ankles which is a real pain (literally).

Anyone know where in Sydney I can get footbeds made? The guys that did the boots suggested I wait for the liners to fill out before getting footbeds, which they now have. Getting a bit of heel lift and apparently footbeds will help with that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I had boots fitted in Whistler. Pretty good. I have skinny shins and narrow ankles which is a real pain (literally).

Anyone know where in Sydney I can get footbeds made? The guys that did the boots suggested I wait for the liners to fill out before getting footbeds, which they now have. Getting a bit of heel lift and apparently footbeds will help with that.

Larry Adler has a "reputation' for boot fitting and will do footbeds, he often has pro fitters from the Strolz factory on their off season.

Apart from that it comes down to the human in the shop. One year it maybe some swiss guy who been doing it for 10 years and the next time it can be a 17 yro who has done his own.

Go into the shop and talk to the guy, and make an appointment with him, for the fitting, if he smells right

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Larry Adler has a "reputation' for boot fitting and will do footbeds, he often has pro fitters from the Strolz factory on their off season.

Apart from that it comes down to the human in the shop. One year it maybe some swiss guy who been doing it for 10 years and the next time it can be a 17 yro who has done his own.

Go into the shop and talk to the guy, and make an appointment with him, for the fitting, if he smells right

Good advice. Also set aside a few hours for boot fitting as almost any boot your size will feel OK for the first few minutes after you put them on, it takes at least 15 minutes for all the pressure points and niggles to manifest themselves. A cooler day is better too as the shell of the boot will be more rigid.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

I'll give the city store a ring. I am always a bit worried that you'll get half arsed service as you are not planning to buy boots so I'll gauge over the phone if they are keen enough to help.

Some searches have thrown up John Morgan at STM in Bondi Junction. I have heard his name being mentioned before.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'll give the city store a ring. I am always a bit worried that you'll get half arsed service as you are not planning to buy boots so I'll gauge over the phone if they are keen enough to help.

Some searches have thrown up John Morgan at STM in Bondi Junction. I have heard his name being mentioned before.

I find the interest factor bizzarre, you will be spending like $150.00 for decent foot beds and business isn't "charging" at the moment

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Blue, you mentioned about the cost of accommodation as being a disincentive. If you want to ski regularly one of the things I would strongly recommend is to join a club. I'm a member of Brindabella Ski Club and our club has two lodges at Guthega (one new and one older lodge for cheaper accommodation) and a new lodge at Thredbo. During peak season it costs $160 per person for two nights over the weekend for members. The new lodges have ensuite bathrooms and the older lodge is shared facilities.

The only problem is that there is always a backlog of applications for new members so it can take a few years. Coming along to pre and post season work parties earns credit if you're applying to become members.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Glad I'm not going down this weekend. Things look dire on the cams today and it will be blizzard conditions on Saturday and Sunday.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Glad I'm not going down this weekend. Things look dire on the cams today and it will be blizzard conditions on Saturday and Sunday.
Though I am not sure when I'll be down again this season, I am excited by the imminent dump. Love a good blizzard.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I sense the seeds being planted for some sort of organised migration south in the next year or two. Quick stopover in Canberra for a Friday night Brumbies match and then onwards.

That would be horrible.

The ski.com.au forums has their annual SIC weekend, so we can organise a GAGR fest in Thredbo. Depending on the time of the season I may be able to book a few people into my club lodge.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Though I am not sure when I'll be down again this season, I am excited by the imminent dump. Love a good blizzard.

Yep, but it will be a dump onto no base. Blizzard conditions make lesson management a challenge, but the skiing can be great.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, but it will be a dump onto no base. Blizzard conditions make lesson management a challenge, but the skiing can be great.
Yeah, not sure I'd want to be skiing it on Sat-Mon. Once they get it groomed, it ought to be a great base, and if the follow up later next week comes off, that weekend would be the pick.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah, not sure I'd want to be skiing it on Sat-Mon. Once they get it groomed, it ought to be a great base, and if the follow up later next week comes off, that weekend would be the pick.

Funnily enough, that's SIC weekend and I've been booked for a half-day private to take the SIC crew around the mountain and get lift line priority.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Three pages in and we haven't had any snowboarder jokes yet.

What do you do if a snowboarder knocks on your front door? Pay him for the pizza.

What do you call a snowboarder without a girlfriend? Homeless.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
And some ski instructor jokes:

How many ski instructors does it take to change a light bulb? Ten, one to screw in the bulb and nine to look on and say "nice turns"

What's the difference between a 'ski school snake' and a regular snake? A regular snake has the arsehole at the rear.

What's the difference between a ski instructor and God? God doesn't think He's a ski instructor.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Snowboarders. :mad:

I hear that noise "GWaaaargggghghghggghghghghgh!" behind me and I just want to start swinging my poles at people.

Actually I have never hit a person in my life but if I do it will in all likelihood be a snowboarder.

Anyone skied Deer Valley? No homeless people or pizza delivery boys allowed on the slopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.