• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I've got GAGR and the weather observations thread on ski.com.au on tabs so I can flick between the two. Got Facebook open too to see the latest photos.

Sun's out in Canberra but the temp has dropped.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Here's an updated photo from one of my ski club mates, note the additional snow from his earlier photo.

9IubPWM.jpg

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Photo from my club lodge taken at 4:30pm.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn2/q71/s720x720/1070110_10153043652335534_1822378915_n.jpg

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Cars will be blobs by morning! :)

Not completely blobs because the wind picked up during the night, but still pretty darn good:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn2/q73/s720x720/969754_10153045521745534_1048942863_n.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just had some custom footbeds made at STM in Bondi. Feels a heck of a lot better but I'll really only know when I ski. They also attached some supportive wraparounds to the heels of my intuition liners which should stabilize the heel a little more.

I was impressed wit the process and the guys really seemed to know what they are talking about.

Only one month to go. *Sigh*

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK

I am thinking of buying a new pair of skis, and these look interesting

VOLKL V-WERKS RTM 84
volkl-v-werks-rtm-84-skis-ipt-wide-ride-12-0-bindings-2013-front.jpg

anyone played with them?

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I haven't skied on those particular model but I have skied on earlier models of Völkl skis (EXP724 and AC30) and enjoyed them. I would recommend trying skis out before you buy them because everyone has different preferences with what they want from a ski. If you can demo them, do it!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was thinking of an all mountain ski, but many seem to be pitched at "crud, groomed or ice" and would struggle on those rare days when there is some deep nice stuff to exploit! (I know, rare in Oz).
I've skied the K2 Rictors, Volkl RTMs in the past few yrs which were both fine frontside. The Volkl RTM84 appeals a bit.
They all seem much of a muchness in reviews.
The Elan Amphibio 84 looks pretty nice too. Never skied on Elans though.
I just gotta find some more snow days this year somehow!!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
You just need to have a few more lessons cyclopath! (shameless drumming up for request private lessons) I skied knee deep powder in Hakuba on my Fischer RC4 slaloms, which are 66mm underfoot. ;)

All-mountain skis are good options for Australian skiers who only want a one ski quiver. There are some compromises though like you've suggested.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You just need to have a few more lessons cyclopath! (shameless drumming up for request private lessons) I skied knee deep powder in Hakuba on my Fischer RC4 slaloms, which are 66mm underfoot. ;)

All-mountain skis are good options for Australian skiers who only want a one ski quiver. There are some compromises though like you've suggested.
Oh, I do need more lessons! Actually, Mrs Cyclo is heading down with some friends next weekend - Thurs 1st to Sunday 4th. She has skied since about 7 or 8, but has really found "re-learning" on carve skis hard, having to unlearn a lot of what she knew. She needs / wants lessons. Are you down there then?
PM me if you want.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I haven't skied on those particular model but I have skied on earlier models of Völkl skis (EXP724 and AC30) and enjoyed them. I would recommend trying skis out before you buy them because everyone has different preferences with what they want from a ski. If you can demo them, do it!

I used a set of Völkl Race Tiger GS in Italy and enjoyed them at Christmas, they charged through fresh show, crud and screamed on the packed and have had a couple of pairs of Völkls in the past. The Werks are RTM 84s with titanium

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
No worries, I'm there that weekend - Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 August. Can also PM you the names of some other instructors if Mrs Cyclo wants a lesson on Thursday or Friday.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I'll have a read up on the Völkls and have a chat to my colleagues when I'm in Thredbo this weekend, fatprop.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I was thinking of an all mountain ski, but many seem to be pitched at "crud, groomed or ice" and would struggle on those rare days when there is some deep nice stuff to exploit! (I know, rare in Oz).
I've skied the K2 Rictors, Volkl RTMs in the past few yrs which were both fine frontside. The Volkl RTM84 appeals a bit.
They all seem much of a muchness in reviews.
The Elan Amphibio 84 looks pretty nice too. Never skied on Elans though.
I just gotta find some more snow days this year somehow!!

Was just checking out the Elan Amphibio's today.

STM said I could demo them for $150 per weekend including the bag to lug them around.

Not quite ready to invest in skis. Need more miles in the legs to know what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.