• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Skiing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
G'day boys.

Just returned from 2 months in Europe, work and some holidays.

Did some epic skiing.

This is the Sella Massif in the Italian Dolomites. You ski a circuit which is about 24kms and you can squeeze it into a day with a short lunch break. Magnificent.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlzzug480p2btfz/2014-01-29 09.53.50.jpg

Alpe di Suissi is the highest skiable meadow in Europe. It just goes on and on and on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h65vcy85rdk71t6/2014-01-27 10.33.53.jpg

Then we headed off for some more challenging stuff in Ischgl in Austria. This is the view back into Austria as you are about to cross down into the Samnaun valley on the Swiss side. On this ski, it was about 8:30am and the sun broke through as we skied down into the valley. Totally awe inspiring. Them be big mountains.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15rrywfna9ddxs4/ischgl.jpg

I stayed in Campetello last season, really enjoyed it, best food on a mountain I have had as well

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Skied with these in Austria

Hated them. Responsiveness was terrible. They felt "heavy"

That's my 2c.

I can understand how that feels. I have a pair of Nordica Spitfire Dobermanns and they feel a lot lighter than the Voekls I used to ski on.

Responsiveness can also be an outcome of how the skis are tuned. I took my Nordicas over to Canada and skied 17 days on them. On the 15th day I got a core shot on them and had to get it repaired. Took the skis out the next morning and they felt totally different and really sluggish to respond. It turned out that the ski shop had a problem with their tuning machine that they hadn't realised when they tuned my skis. Will have to get them retuned in Thredbo.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was talking to my nephews yesterday about stupid things you do and showed them this, I just happened to be down there for this, came 15th from memory

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I used to love watching the Dash for Cash weekend (particularly the Jump for Cash).

The best skiing video from my childhood however was without doubt Apocalypse Snow. Now on youtube!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I'll be at Perisher last week of July school holidays. Staying at a mates place in Beridale with the Family. First time taking the rug rats skiing. I normally go to Kegbo but the free accom is too attractive.

Perisher here we come. Probably better to teach the kids anyway.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
A friend of mine runs the place. Go like their Facebook page. They've been giving away a free session every so often.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Has anyone booked for the upcoming season?

I have confirmed my weekends working at Thredbo - will be there 28-29 June, 5-6 July, 19-20 July, 26-27 July, 9-10 August, 16-17 August (also playing in a charity rugby match in Jindy on the Saturday arvo), 23-24 August, 6-7 Sept.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I'm in Perisher, starting at a mates place in Jindabyne, the week of Sunday 6th of July.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm in Thredbo - Sat 5th to Sat 12th July.
@rugbyskier - will have to track you down.
@Gibbo - you'll probably triangulate me using Black-Ops cyber technology.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Depending on whether there is any snow, I expect to get down as well

I have just booked a week in Cortina for over Christmas/New Years :cool:

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm in Thredbo - Sat 5th to Sat 12th July.
@rugbyskier - will have to track you down.

Will be there the weekend of 5-6 July. Easy to track down, will be at Friday Flat coffee shop on the Saturday and Sunday mornings around 0830 and I'll be wearing a name tag on my uniform. I'm staying at my club's lodge - Waragun Lodge, in Mackenzie Place behind the Leisure Centre. Can PM you phone numbers, etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not much skiing this weekend

867662-cf5a15fa-ec67-11e3-bb45-046f3d36ad52.jpg

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
A bit of natural snow up high and it has finally got cold enough to fire up the guns. Should be some skiing by the time I start work at the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.