• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Transition from Schoolboy Rugby to Colts - Is there a better way?

• Thread starter spirit of cupertino
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What the NSWRU did was to delete it as being a requirement to be in 1st division. That enabled 5 clubs not to enter teams (Warringah, Gordon, Parramatta, Penrith & Souths). This meant that the 7 clubs left had a bye almost every second week, so the competition limped on for a year as a 7 team competition and then wasn't run the next year. Had the NSWRU been a bit more pro-active and alerted the 7 to what was about to happen, there were a least 2 clubs (Uni and Easts) who could have run a 5th grade team to help fill up the numbers.

The proposal for colts to take over SJRU open teams effectively means the return of 4th grade colts as an u/18 competition, which I think is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure that Gordon ran a 5ths colts in the 80s, certainly a 4ths.
Shows you how far we've slipped.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm pretty sure that Gordon ran a 5ths colts in the 80s, certainly a 4ths.
Shows you how far we've slipped.

They dropped really quickly. I think one year in the early 00s they won the 4ths colts competition (or maybe lost the g-f ?) I think within 2 years they had dropped out of the 4ths and were struggling to field a 3rds.

One suspects that the goings-on in the Gordon JRU have some impact.

S

spirit of cupertino

Maybe Green n Gold can play its part and feed a Colts3 thread full of who what when and where, starting with when are the first trial games and what positions are they particularly short on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ring Gordon, Parramatta, Penrith, West Harbour, or Northern Suburbs. Based on past history, they will have shortages in all positions for Colts 3 and will welcome any kid who is keen to learn and have some fun with new (or old) mates. Club web sites will have all the details of whom to contact regarding pre-season training. Don't wait for an invitation, be proactive. Clubs like self motivated types.

Clubs typically have a pre-christmas early pre-season, with the fair dinkum stuff starting mid-late January. Trials are typically 4 weeks out from the start of the season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ring Gordon, Parramatta, Penrith, West Harbour, or Northern Suburbs. Based on past history, they will have shortages in all positions for Colts 3 and will welcome any kid who is keen to learn and have some fun with new (or old) mates. Club web sites will have all the details of whom to contact regarding pre-season training. Don't wait for an invitation, be proactive. Clubs like self motivated types.

Clubs typically have a pre-christmas early pre-season, with the fair dinkum stuff starting mid-late January. Trials are typically 4 weeks out from the start of the season.

Interesting that the club with the most juniors has such trouble filling its colts sides - and it's not a new phenomenon.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm pretty sure Luke Burgess got his first run in Fourths Colts. Where you start isn't important. How you respond to where you start is what matters.

Bernard Foley and Nick Phipps' first game together was as the half back / flyhalf combination for University 3rds colts.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Also, having left Shore in 2012, I saw many of my mates who played in the 1sts / 2nds / 3rds being actively poached by clubs, even if they weren't the flashiest players going around at that stage. A few of them are even being paid by the clubs, having not been selected at high representative levels whilst at school.

I also have a friend who played inside centre in the Shore 8ths playing flanker for Norths colts 2nds. As people have alluded to, all the clubs are starving for players and if someone is prepared to work at it and train hard, almost any player can go to a Shute Sheild club and get at least get some sort of game time come Saturday.

The system is fine, you've just gotta want to participate in it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also, having left Shore in 2012, I saw many of my mates who played in the 1sts / 2nds / 3rds being actively poached by clubs, even if they weren't the flashiest players going around at that stage. A few of them are even being paid by the clubs, having not been selected at high representative levels whilst at school.

I also have a friend who played inside centre in the Shore 8ths playing flanker for Norths colts 2nds. As people have alluded to, all the clubs are starving for players and if someone is prepared to work at it and train hard, almost any player can go to a Shute Sheild club and get at least get some sort of game time come Saturday.

The system is fine, you've just gotta want to participate in it.

100% agree Michael.

I think what we have is that some boys and/or parents don't want to have to do what you've described. They want "someone" to approach them and presumably ask them very nicely to play for them.

The age of entitlement lives;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
100% agree Michael.

I think what we have is that some boys and/or parents don't want to have to do what you've described. They want "someone" to approach them and presumably ask them very nicely to play for them.

The age of entitlement lives;)

But you know what - if most clubs knew there was someone there just waiting to be asked nicely they'd do it: they are not too proud to ask.
Frankly, all they want is the best for their beloved club and if that's all it takes they'll do it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've just read this forum from start to finish and all i can say is it seems very easy to me, it took me seconds to find something.
http://www.eastwoodrugby.com.au/content/colts-coaching-clinic-free-saturday

My son has played Eastwood all through Juniors and wants to play colts next year, he sent an email on his own (like an adult), got a response same day easy done.

The idea that boys who have just finished Year 12 can't find a club to play for, in this the information age, it bizarre.

I just think some people don't want to find a club, they want the club to find them.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The idea that boys who have just finished Year 12 can't find a club to play for, in this the information age, it bizarre.

I just think some people don't want to find a club, they want the club to find them.
QH, at last we agree. Most clubs are crying out for Colts players. Many clubs, rightly or wrongly really only have the intel on those boys who make their respective CHS, GPS, CAS etc sides and ultimately the nationals so see those boys as the primary targets. Most directors of Colts rugby would love it if a bunch of boys turned up to have a crack at colts selection. Not everyone one is going to be offered Uni subs, it doesn't mean there isn't a place for most in Colts.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, at last we agree. Most clubs are crying out for Colts players. Many clubs, rightly or wrongly really only have the intel on those boys who make their respective CHS, GPS, CAS etc sides and ultimately the nationals so see those boys as the primary targets. Most directors of Colts rugby would love it if a bunch of boys turned up to have a crack at colts selection. Not everyone one is going to be offered Uni subs, it doesn't mean there isn't a place for most in Colts.

We probably agree about a lot of things.:)

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
There is a proposal running around that the Sydney U18 v's NSW U17's game will be move from the October long weekend to Saturday 20 September to be the curtain raiser for the NRC Sydney Rams game. Just seeing if they can pull the number together at short notice. Given the NSW U17's are largely country boys that may prove difficult.
I'm sure there will be some colts scouts there plus others on the look out.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The news on Dowsett going to Randwick is completely false. He placed at national hurdles so he would still be considering an athletics career and if not he will be at Gordon. The Joeys boys O'Shea, Duffy, McDonnell and Margan will be at either Randwick or Uni.

My news is that Randwick have already picked up Fifita, Porter, Woodhill, Hutchinson and Serhon and will be looking to add the 4 Joeys boys in a bid to win back to back colts titles.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The coup occurred last year.

The Randwick Website announced that Vunipola Fifita would be joining them along with Kellaway, Deegan, Short, Hanigan at the end of last season.

It is possible that someone at NEW with connections to the Wicks was involved in bringing Vuni over to NEW from Tonga at the start of 2012. If that was the case it is little surprise that he is headed for Coogee Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.