• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tuesday Top Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We try to put out a blog every Tuesday about five things that would be of interest to the readers out there.

They are not all about Super Rugby, or test matches when they are on: just five topical things—one could be on a club game or schools game the writer went to but there was a matter of interest. They don't have to be all serious either: last week one of the items I did was about players losing their shorts in a game.

The thing is: sometimes when you sit down to write five things about rugby on the weekend your mind goes blank.

So during the weekend or Monday morning please chuck in some thoughts in this thread every week.

Thank you all.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Karmichael Hunt is back this weekend. We could write about how he went and if he was worth the drama that has followed him.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
A possible underdog story in the making (although a long way from here which may rule it out)...

Georgia are in the final of the U18 European Championships, but remarkably, they have yet to win a game in the tournament!

Two draws and two penalty shootouts see them in the final against hosts France this weekend.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Queensland v NSW U15s and U17s is on this weekend if you're hunting for an extra.

There's a live stream as well, so the matches will be available to be embedded from YouTube.

The U17s will be competing for spots in the Queensland achoolboys - and just 5 or 6 are GPS students. You could pitch it as a win for non-traditional rugby pathways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Stands to reason, just saw him with his new baby in a rugby special doco, so he's got weightier issues in mind.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Beauden Barrett try against the Stormers should be on YouTube by now.

It may be worth a pass by pass appreciation.

Not a selfish act by any of the players involved. Always on the lookout for a support in better position. A great try scored through playing great rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Unfortunately the red card of Big Kev and its significance on the game should be an item.

The emergence of Naivalu from the local Dewar Shield competition then playing in the NRC and then Super Rugby (and having a blinder last night) would be a matter of interest.

He won't be eligible for the Wallabies on residency for a while and that will coincide with his maturity as a player - but will Fiji nab him - or the Top 14??

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
What are the details of this King?

I'm headed out there now actually to write match reports for the QRU. I can run you through the happenings in detail when I get back.

Essentially the QRU has told boys from last years U16 Schoolboys not to trial for the Junior Gold Cup. As such, the boys in JGC are underdogs being given an extra shot at auditioning.

These teams today are Rep JGC sides, and play their NSW equivalents.

There are only 5 or thereabouts GPS players involved in the under 17s - the lowest GPS representation in a QLD rep side ever.

This demonstrates a concerted from the QRU to spread the net wider than GPS schools - a win for non-traditional rugby pathways.

Full matches are going up on the Queensland Reds YouTube page, and can be found embedded on Redsrugby.com.au to watch live from 12:15-4:15 AEST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks King - I was more interested in how I could see the vision and you explained it at the end.

Will you ask a few parents in the crowd what they think of the JGC?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Unfortunately the red card of Big Kev and its significance on the game should be an item.

The emergence of Naivalu from the local Dewar Shield competition then playing in the NRC and then Super Rugby (and having a blinder last night) would be a matter of interest.

He won't be eligible for the Wallabies on residency for a while and that will coincide with his maturity as a player - but will Fiji nab him - or the Top 14??

Really? Do u have the link?

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=279963

"He told us before he left last year, that he will only return when he achieved his goal of playing for the Wallabies," proud dad Ravunivadra Uluilakeba said.
"He has achieved one, a Super Rugby contract and I believe he will fulfil his words before returning home."
Uluilakeba had faith his son could be a Wallaby in the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bernard Foley's flexible contract. Is it the fastlane to player burnout or will it work for Foley and the ARU? Given that many of the players in that target range have either signed in Europe or re-signed with the ARU could this be a test case for 2016 onwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.