• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, who are the likely departures after or even before the RWC? I'd predict TPN and Kepu from the front row, Simmons from the second row, maybe Pocock from the back row, Genia, Phipps, Foley, To'omua and Beale from the backs.

If those eventuate, we seem to have reasonable to very good backups or replacements for each of the forwards, while half back should be covered by Powell, Gordon and Sorovi, but 10 and 12 look to remain problem areas for some time yet.

After his hitout yesterday, I'd still say Deegan is in the mix for the No 10 spot and probably outplayed Stewart in that game. As a real smokey, I'd remind everyone that Hawera will probably be eligible by the EOYT next year.

I think Kerevi is the longer term answer at 12, but would also like to see Paia'aua given a few chances at higher level.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
To'omua signed for 2 and a half years he will be around a while

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
SQUAD

Forwards
Jermaine Ainsley* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 22)
Allan Ala'alatoa (23 Tests, Brumbies, 24)
Rory Arnold (15 Tests, Brumbies, 28)
Adam Coleman (23 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Folau Fainga'a* (uncapped, Brumbies, 23)
Ned Hanigan (13 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Michael Hooper (c) (82 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 26)
Sekope Kepu (94 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 32)
Tolu Latu (7 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 25)
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (3 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
David Pocock (69 Tests, Brumbies, 30)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (82 Tests, Leicester, 33)
Tom Robertson (21 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Izack Rodda (7 Tests, Queensland Reds, 21)
Pete Samu (3 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
Rob Simmons (85 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Scott Sio (46 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
Caleb Timu (2 Tests, Queensland Reds, 24)
Lukhan Tui (7 Tests, Queensland Reds, 21)
Taniela Tupou (4 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
Backs
Tom Banks* (uncapped, Brumbies, 24)
Kurtley Beale (74 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Israel Folau (65 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Bernard Foley (58 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 28)
Will Genia (90 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 30)
Dane Haylett-Petty (21 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 29)
Reece Hodge (27 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 23)
Marika Koroibete (11 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Jack Maddocks* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 21)
Billy Meakes* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 27)
Sefa Naivalu (7 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Jordan Petaia* (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 18)
Nick Phipps (64 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Joe Powell (4 Tests, Brumbies, 24)
Curtis Rona (3 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 26)
Matt To'omua (33 Tests, Leicester/Melbourne Rebels, 28)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a very handy looking squad, and probably no real controversial selections or omissions at all. BPA will probably be the most disappointed player to miss out. Slipper missing out will disappoint a few posters on these threads.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Isn't BPA named? (Right after Latu)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my mistake. Interesting, but probably not surprising, that nobody seems to have made the squad from the Super Rugby Selection. On their form in the game, Philip, Cottrell and Deegan would probably have had a bit of consideration.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I'd say as normal those guys who stood out at the Super Rugby game will be in camp still, more so when they're in Sydney

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Slipper missing out will disappoint a few posters on these threads.

Not really. For me anyway. I love what Cheika has done in breathing a new life into the guy. Cheika has made a major statement, shown faith, and made sure that the world knows that Cheika sees the door as open. It's up to Slipper to use the chance. I think he will.

And we may well see Slipper in gold again one day. One step at a time for now. Last Friday was a fantastic first step.

All the best Slip's

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika said Quade wouldn't get picked when not playing for a Super team. Slipper isn't either. There are a number of reasons why slipper wouldnt even be considered were he fit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Slipper played 9 Super Rugby Games this year. More than Lukhan Tui.

Yeah I doubt not being in pro rugby is the reason that Slipper is being overlooked. But hell, let's appreciate our mercies. James had been looking locked out. This is no longer the case. You could even say he looks like hot property. Go Slipper!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Honestly, Derpus, I'd rather see them both in preference to Phipps but it ain't going to happen. And I do recognise Phipps has had one or two decent games in the latter part of the Super Rugby season. But he is too inconsistent.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's time for Gordon to move, he's such a waste as a back up. In my eye's hes potentially the second best 9 in the country. If i was him i'd be looking at QLD, especially with these rumors swirling around with Tui. Could be a win/win for both camps as QLD has locking prospects a plenty and need a 9, Tahs have 9's but need a lock. Even seeing if Perese would be interested (maybe a change would keep him in Rugby) etc.

This is where we need to start looking at things as a collective and seeing whats best for Aus rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alternatively he's at a team that just made the semi-finals and his coach has shown a willingness to let him start when his form demands it.

Moving to Qld currently doesn't seem like a good bet to improve your career trajectory.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Alternatively he's at a team that just made the semi-finals and his coach has shown a willingness to let him start when his form demands it.

Moving to Qld currently doesn't seem like a good bet to improve your career trajectory.

Playing every week, is better than sitting behind Phipps.

It also basically means he cannot make the Wallabies (barring injuries), which at the end of the day is where is career trajectory would want to go.

In the Irish system he'd be moved on, e.g. Carbery

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
What is with the threats from the Premiership clubs that To'omua and TPN will need to head home during the rest weeks to play club rugby? Surely the ARU just say international window and tell the Premiership to get lost?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What is with the threats from the Premiership clubs that To'omua and TPN will need to head home during the rest weeks to play club rugby? Surely the ARU just say international window and tell the Premiership to get lost?

I can't say I've read about said threats?

But during the international window they won't be going back to England.