• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Jake White? faaark off

With a decent attack coach, yes, 100%.

Why not? Because the Brumbies were 'boring' (actually scored more tries than the Tahs under Cheika while White was in charge) when he coached them?

I'll take a more structured 'boring' gameplan if it means we win and we actually look like a team that has a coach. Pair him with someone like Rennie, let Rennie teach the players how to run with the ball while White teaches them discipline and gets the squad humming again.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think you should resign yourself to Cheika coaching at the world cup.

I am resigned to it, but by the end of this year when the only game we win from here on in is against Italy, the drums of war will be beating loud outside RA HQ, or there will be a deathly silence, which is even worse.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why not? Because the Brumbies were 'boring' (actually scored more tries than the Tahs under Cheika while White was in charge) when he coached them?

No, because he had a blowup when he didn't get the Wallabies gig last time, and walked out of Canberra leaving them in the lurch.

I don't trust him. Also, he's another Eddie Jones/Michael Cheika style 'mind games' coach I reckon, and I'm not sure that's what we need right now.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We need a complete change of philosophy from national to super rugby coaches. Go through some tough times to change the way we are taught to play, kinda like the Brumbies started to do this year. Fair dues to McKellar to stick with it, especially considering the absolute dross that they served up for the first half of the season.

Our success 20yrs ago is now our greatest enemy, with so many that played in that era now ingrained in coaching, administration or commentary that they believe the way they played is how best to play rugby. Their response to poor results is to go back to the training ground and refine the same style over and over again until it's right.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No, because he had a blowup when he didn't get the Wallabies gig last time, and walked out of Canberra leaving them in the lurch.

I don't trust him. Also, he's another Eddie Jones/Michael Cheika style 'mind games' coach I reckon, and I'm not sure that's what we need right now.

Begs the question - what type of coach is it that we need right now?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need a complete change of philosophy from national to super rugby coaches. Go through some tough times to change the way we are taught to play, kinda like the Brumbies started to do this year. Fair dues to McKellar to stick with it, especially considering the absolute dross that they served up for the first half of the season.

Our success 20yrs ago is now our greatest enemy, with so many that played in that era now ingrained in coaching, administration or commentary that they believe the way they played is how best to play rugby. Their response to poor results is to go back to the training ground and refine the same style over and over again until it's right.

Absolutely, a new coach may provide a short term band aid by requiring the team to pull their heads in, keep the ball close and stifle - but the issues go deep and that could cause greater problems long term.

But commitment to a style of play, a style of scrummaging, a level of fitness, getting the culture right etc etc across all the super and NRC sides will have more long term benefits through a commitment to playing for want of a better term "the Wallaby way"

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think there already is a "wallaby way" problem is that this way isn't conducive of success in the world of rugby in 2018. Looking at the way we play, i believe the current team would be a very good team if they were to be transferred to 1999. Problem is those involved in the game atm don't know any different to generate success than the current philosophy, they also have experienced high levels of success with this style so fundamentally can't see any issue with it. The issue here is that like all sports, the game moves on. Just like in football, formations change, tactics change, etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

EJ (Eddie Jones)/Cheika don't play mind games though. Not really, they just demand passion and wring out whatever effort there was left hiding in the players. It's the 'run through a brick wall for your team' approach. Short term gain, long term decline.

It's curious that EJ (Eddie Jones) and Cheika's teams have followed a very similar trajectory. England came flying out of the blocks as EJ (Eddie Jones) finally got them playing to their potential. Same with Cheika during the WC. Then when it came time to lay some actual groundwork rather than just yell at the fluffybunnys and 'motivate' them they fall to bits because they don't know how to do any of the graft.

At least White seems to have some understanding of the strategic/tactical elements of rugby. His teams are fucking boring though.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

something the opposite of what chieka is/has done.

We get absolutely destroyed by other teams on broken play. Once teams crack the wallaby system it just becomes a matter of applying sufficient time and pressure before they implode mentally and on the field.

I think the type of coach needed now is someone who will get the players back onside and start picking on merit and performance. Someone who is going to be more reserved on the sideline and radiate a sense of calmness. Someone who has some decent assistants because i think the entire structure (except mick byrne maybe?) needs a shakeup.

To use a roundball analogy - more klopp, less mourinho.

Personally I think we need a coach who has the ability to take a bunch of players drilled in silly repetitive systems and can train it out of them within 6 months. Someone who is going to emphasise attacking on broken play immediately and in numbers rather than running 1/4 of the width of the field to get in position for a pre-prepared phase which is dismantled 10 metres behind the gain line.

But above, we need a coach who will get some bloody wins.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We get absolutely destroyed by other teams on broken play. Once teams crack the wallaby system it just becomes a matter of applying sufficient time and pressure before they implode mentally and on the field.

I think the type of coach needed now is someone who will get the players back onside and start picking on merit and performance. Someone who is going to be more reserved on the sideline and radiate a sense of calmness. Someone who has some decent assistants because i think the entire structure (except mick byrne maybe?) needs a shakeup.

It’s an important call, especially as RA look to greater centralisation and the WB “style” if not systems look to broader application across the franchises and connection through acadamies possibly down to grass roots.

We need, I think, more rugby nous and taking opportunity even where this means ad lib.

I don’t know if this is White nor an Jones type. We also need much better strategy and analysis. Once again thinking what a loss Link was.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Matt Taylor and Andy Friend come to mind straight away.

Both have track records of turning struggling teams around. Both focus on having the fundamental skills built before coming to the top level. More importantly Taylor has demonstrated his ability to set a proper defensive structure in place

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But we sure as fuck don't need Cheika with his current trajectory. Worst coached Wallabies side I've seen in fifty of my 74 years.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Matt Taylor should be targeted to replace Grey. Attack coach who knows? But i'd be happy with that first change in the short term. His overall record is shocking at almost every team hes been at

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Might seem a bit left field, but what's Warren Gatland up to these days? More to the point, what will he be up to post the next World Cup?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Might seem a bit left field, but what's Warren Gatland up to these days? More to the point, what will he be up to post the next World Cup?

I strongly suspect that Gatland just wants to stay at home in NZ, think I read it somewhere.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That job FP should be reserved for Cheika. Can't afford to pay him out, promote him and get some change into the Wallaby coaching setup asap.