1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by matty_k, Jul 5, 2011.

1. daz Guest

I write many emails a day. Usually I sign off "Cheers" or "Best". No problem. But occasionally, where I am asking for someone to do something, I sign off "Thanks".

99% of the time, I type out "Thnaks". I don't know why. Even when I concentrate, there it is; thnaks.

My muscle memory can just sod right off.
  2. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

You mean " Off, my muscle memory, can just rightly sod."
  3. daz Guest

Yeah, that's much better.

Thnaks!
    cyclopath likes this.
  4. Moses Simon Poidevin (60)

I've seen 'Kind Retards' used to sign off an email
    Hugh Jarse likes this.
  5. boyo Paul McLean (56)

A problem common with Chinese and Japanese people.
  6. Sully John Eales (66)

Unfortunately I'm neither.
  7. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I do that too.

My other common one is that I type Parnters instead of Partners pretty frequently. It's a shame the company I work for has Partners in the name. I type it a lot!

Luckily I am very pedantic and proofread everything I type pretty carefully.
  8. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Desperate is correct.

Moses is in error.
    Moses likes this.
  9. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

I type like an octopus with Tourettes.
    Proof-reading was a large part of my day, until we started using voice recognition software at work.
  10. Scarfman Knitter of the Scarf

Aim not shore that boys wreck ignition works.
    daz likes this.
  11. mark_s Chilla Wilson (44)

Form vs from is a shocker for me. I have to search on form and fix them, even though I know I duff it 9 times out of ten.
  12. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Some mobile companies offer to send SMS with a "short 10 second message" rather than storing a message in the message bank. You can get some doozies from that system.

How about predictive text in SMS?
  13. Scarfman Knitter of the Scarf

I'll try to type the word "language" at my normal typing speed:

Lanaguge
    Lanague
    Lanaguge

And there's more where that came from. "Langauge" is a common one. The only problem is that I write on the philosophy of language. I think it's some kind of return of the repressed, a la Freud. I'm supposed to be the master of languague (sp!) but it continually tries to escape my command.
  14. boyo Paul McLean (56)

If you were would your name be "Surry"?
  15. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Me too. Every email I send is signed off in that way. It's like my fingers know what to do before my brain does.
  16. daz Guest

It would be so much better if you actually chugged a frothy everytime you signed off "cheers".
  17. MajorlyRagerly Trevor Allan (34)

I had quite a discussion about e-mail sign offs with my colleagues here. I don't believe in writing Kind regards, best regards etc etc as I simply don't mean it. More often than not, I haven't met the person, or met the person once, at most, so I'm not really wanting to send my regards.

I choose to use "Cheers", as it's something I do actually mean - however, IR here said that perhaps that I should use something nicer when dealing with our clients.. me personally, i'd rather read a cheers anyday than kind regards. or even worse a rgds or thx (seriously if you can't type the whole word, then you defo don't mean it).

I long for the day it's acceptable to type what you really mean. Most of my mails would end with

Whatever,
    MR.
    Inside Shoulder likes this.
  18. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Most of mine just have my name.
    I am an email curmudgeon.
  19. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

What utter bullshit on their behalf. What's wrong with "Cheers"? There's nothing even remotely rude about it. From memory you live in Asia somewhere don't you MR? Honkers maybe? Chinese culture is probably less accepting of our informal ways but really, fuck that.
  20. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Well, that's because you're a cnut. ;)

But what, you literally mean "cheers" - you're holding up a pint to them while signing off your email?