• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
My pet peeves:
1. If you can't spell definitely, either check it or use a different word. Definately definitly both wrong. Even better when spell corrects it to defiantly and you read that someone is defiantly feeling good about the match

Definitely is the word I am constantly questioning if I have spelled it right. "Probably" is another, I don't know why but probably always looks wrong to me.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm an academic, and "marking season" is always a trying business. I don't have any single hang-up about punctuation and grammar. What really gets me are the sentences which never end. They usually change subject and tense a couple of times as well. You get to the end of them and wonder what the hell was going through the poor thing's tiny brain.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm an academic, and "marking season" is always a trying business. I don't have any single hang-up about punctuation and grammar. What really gets me are the sentences which never end. They usually change subject and tense a couple of times as well. You get to the end of them and wonder what the hell was going through the poor thing's tiny brain.

I do this in essays. One of the main reasons you must get someone to proof read your work; the sentence may be perfect, but if it's 50 words long it's still incoherent.

Yikes, even that last sentence was rather long...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I actually teach an introductory grammar course and my main piece of advice is to write shorter sentences. Most undergraduates cannot hold a sentence together grammatically once it goes past two clauses.

This thread is nervewracking. I feel that, at any moment, I could make a complete arse of myself.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A novel concept - people actually worrying about making an arse of themselves on an internet forum.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
What about sending Text messages

Who here send "long hand" text messages? E.G they send "great" rather than send "gr8" ?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep, I send full text messages. I used to be pretty lax, the same with instant messaging, but if you use proper grammar all the time it because the norm, and you make less mistakes.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep, I send full text messages. I used to be pretty lax, the same with instant messaging, but if you use proper grammar all the time it because the norm, and you make less mistakes.

I see what you did their !

Reactions: DPK

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The word 'surprise' would have to be my pet hate. Stupid silent 'r' at the beginning combined with my constant shortening of 'whats up?' into 'sup' and even now as I pronounce it aloud (out-loud?) it sounds wrong.