• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Two of my pet hates: "vunerable" and "industralashuns" (the latter started by MP (Moana Pasifika) Martin Ferguson with his speech impediment)!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I detest "I'm in agreeance with that".

I also dislike "I'm in agreement with that". Agreement is a noun. I agree will suffice.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't ever move to Hong Kong lads. Incorrect punkyouasian, spilling & granma are a way of life here. Some faves.

When I go to the movies, the message on screen just before it starts says "Please switch off the mobile phone"
When you get a query from a client/investor/back office, they always finish it with "Please advice"

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I detest "I'm in agreeance with that".

I also dislike "I'm in agreement with that". Agreement is a noun. I agree will suffice.

I generally loathe when people use 5 big words so they can sound smarter than someone saying 2. Robbie Deans, I'm looking at you.

N

nicobinho

This also happends alot with

Your : Your house is on fire.

You are: You're a very funny person.

W

Worldcupnut

Sometimes there's errors.

[Spot the deliberate mistake][/QUOTE]

Should be " sometimes there are erreurs " ?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Here are some to add to the list:
loose (lose)
pizza's, goal's etc. (pizzas, goals etc.)
PIN number (PIN)
ATM machine (ATM)
VIN number (VIN)
pressurized (pressured)
pissed (pissed off) Bloody septics!
fairly unique/perfect (unique/perfect) There is no degree of uniqueness/perfection

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I notice a lot of people sticking the word "more" into sentences randomly.

If you add some bricks to that bag it'll be more heavier.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I keep catching myself saying "yeah, na" at the beginning of sentences that seems to being going around Australia.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I keep catching myself saying "yeah, na" at the beginning of sentences that seems to being going around Australia.

YES, I've noticed (and I'm guilty of) this too. Or "Yeah, but nah..." which sometimes exists as a sentence on it's own.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
What annoys me is the use of there's in place of there are. For example, a rugby commentator might refer to an overlap by saying "there's three men outside the ball carrier" or a news reader might say "there's two sides to the argument". The mistake looks quite obvious when written but is made far too often by people who are paid to talk.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What annoys me is the use of there's in place of there are. For example, a rugby commentator might refer to an overlap by saying "there's three men outside the ball carrier" or a news reader might say "there's two sides to the argument". The mistake looks quite obvious when written but is made far too often by people who are paid to talk.

Using the singular of the verb to be when the plural is the correct one is becoming far too prevalent for mine. It's positively rife on the ABC, they really should know better.