• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Thoughts about the Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
What do you think about the Brumbies season? Was it a failure as Jake said, or was it a stepping stone to success in the future? Where will they have depth next year and where are they in trouble? Do they have too much depth anywhere? Will this end to the season break their spirit, or will they feel driven to make up for their mistakes?

I'm thinking this was a trial by fire for their nerves. Ever since half-time in Perth, they've been plagued by nerves and simple mistakes. Now they've seen what nerves will do and hopefully get through it for next season.

With Lealiifano and To'omua due back, three flyhalves and two spots (max) in a 22. Hegarty going to France means that one injury limits us to one hooker. Only Colby Fainga'a for Openside if Pocock doesn't sign. Five props, three spots.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hegarty was only EPS.......

Apparently there is only one full time position left in the squad which is currently been reserved for Pocock should he sign.......

Anymore signings will be for the EPS.......

Anyways, at the beginning of the season I wouldn't have thought we'd have done so well.......

But to come so close to a home final and slip up at the end was disappointing.......

Hopefully we can fill that 7 spot and keep our best players fit for most of the season and improve on what's been built this year.......

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think they overachieved. They were organized and effective, like the Highlanders, but in the end, they lack class in the big games.

Good comparison. Actually if the highlanders played in the aus conference I have no doubt they would be in the finals.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They had a good, not a great season. Jake is right to label it a failure as he'll use that as motivation for the players for next season and they won't get used to settling for nearly making the finals.

J

Jiggles

They were a team lacking experience who performed well to finish where they did, and I think Brumbies fans can be happy with how the year went. They'll be pushing for the championship next year I think.

What the Brumbies showed this year (and the Reds in 2010) is that Australia does have the cattle. What we are lacking is quality coaching and utilising the cattle we have efficiently.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I think they overachieved. They were organized and effective, like the Highlanders, but in the end, they lack class in the big games.

Agreed. I don't think they'll be pushing for a title next year. Maybe a finals berth, maybe not.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think they deserve a lot of credit. This year they weren't good enough to win. They put a lot of pressure on themselves and let what this year amounts to a flat track bully team run them over.

Next year they will make the finals and be anything from also rans to contenders I reckon. Up to them which!

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Given the amount of innovation and reinvigoration the Brumbies has had over the past 12 months, I'll be waiting with keen interest to see how Jake White builds upon the progress so far.

Programmes that continue to be innovative and enjoyable for the players will see the Brumbies kick on.
I'll be interested to see whether the Brumbies will look to re-establish a local academy, how the plans for a new HQ progress and if they can further build the relationship with the University of Canberra.

I'd also like to see an effort to address the unbalanced nature of the John I Dent Cup, but I won't hold my breath on this, especially with the Vikings being significant sponsors of the Brumbies.

White won't be here forever, so I hope the Brumbies and ACT Rugby really capitalise on his direction and vision.

Oh, and if its not too much, One David Pocock please.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Most people at the start of the season would have had the Brumbies fighting it out for third spot in the conference with the Force. Very few gave them much hope, espeically after the disaster of 2011. So in terms of results I would have to say on the odds they overachieved.

In terms of player development I would count the Brumbies season th most successful in the Australian conference when you look at how individuals have improved their play. To'omua, Lilo, Coleman, Mogg, Smith, Fardy, Carter and White have all been huge this year in the success of the side. From the rabble of last year with a run everything League type structure to this years more balanced Rugby game is a huge, huge change and on those two facets I would have to judge their seasona success and I would think their fans would be well satisfied, even in their disappointment.

P

Paradox

Very disappointing to see the opportunity not taken. We were outplayed and smacked by the Blues. I spoke with the Blues tight head prop after (a massive man but a real gentleman) after the game and he said they were surprised at how easy it was to make the advantage line.

Go the Reds!

L

Linebacker_41

I was impressed with the Brumbies this year. They seem to have their shit together on and off the field.

They certainly didnt play an expansive game and they kicked the hell out of the ball nearly every game, but hey they were in every game and never really got blown away by any of the opposition.

I am sure they would be gutted by missing out by such a small margin, but remember the Reds almost qualified for the finals in 2010 only to come back bigger, faster, stronger in 2011 to win the title.

Now I hope that the Brumbies dont win it next year but runner-up to Reds would be ok.

I am sure that their pre-seasonf for 2013 will be very sharp and focused on finals and championships as a result of the "so close but so far" season of 2012.

P

Paradox

It was quite distressing seeing Holmes play yesterday with his arm hanging off a buggered shoulder. He just couldn't tackle. Painful all round.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoughly enjoyed watching the brumbies this year. They need some more "x-factor" and squad depth if they are to win the competition, but I expect both to develop with time like they did for the reds.

Would love to see coleman have a run at 12 outside lilo next season.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought it was a great season, the bulls game was one of my favourite games of the season to watch. beautiful rugby, even though they lost. In the end they probably didnt deserve to make the finals, at the end of the season they had some average, one dimensional performances. Agree they need more X-Factor.

I also think next year is going to be a lot harder. The Rebels are slowing building a good team, with JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale fit will be a threat. The Tahs will also have the luxury of having key wallabies back fully fit, as well as Hooper, so i doubt they will have another poor season, but then again it is the Tahs. And then there's the Reds, with Cooper back and probably even more depth then last year.

Looking forward to seeing more from Lealifano next year.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
At the beginning of the season just a few people gave Brumbies a single chance to make a good superrugby season, let alone to make the finals.
They started the season without a couple of top player like Giteau (do you agree?) and Adam Ashley-Cooper (here you surely agree) with a good forward pack and with a good team of coaches, but with several player lacking experience, many of which were completely unknown to the public that doesn't follow rugby every day. Neverthless, they showed a great attitude, talent, creativity and good gameplan on the pitch (nice job, Mr. White) and only playing bad in one (but most important) single game of the season left them outside the play-offs.
I didn't see a lot of their matches during the season, but they were capable to make me spend a couple of enjoyable hours behind the Tv screen and for this I thank them and I'm sorry for them, but they can look forward to the next season with more self-confidence and trust in their capabilities

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having spent a bit of time around the team I'll offer these observations.

I'll admit to not knowing much about the new players and like others have suggested, you only knew of them if you followed Rugby really closely or knew the Academy and school from other states.So much experience had left and many of the new guy had never played Super Rugby before but had been in Academy set ups.

I think having Jake White there got the best out of a lot of players. White has won a World Cup and the best the players have done is won a club rugby Grand Final so they had a lot to learn. In the early part of the season, some players were looking like they didn't want to make a mistake in front of White for fear of being dropped etc but I don't think they had anything to worry about.

As the season went on, he's allowed players a bit more freedom to play and players in the backline like White and Holmes have done well. Add to that Henry Speight and Andrew Smith in the backline who have had solid years.

After the season ending injuries to To'omua and Lealiifano, the Brumbies were expected to fall over earlier than they did. If you look at some of the results this year you can say it was a success - First win in Wellington since 2003. First win in Sydney since 2002 and up until Saturday, the biggest loss was by 7 points.

The thing about the Brumbies is they don't have any real 'super stars' this year. They started with 3 Wallabies (Alexander, Moore and McCabe) and ended up with 6 (Alexander, Moore, McCabe, White, Tomane, Palmer) which is good reward for their hard work. The players don't do anything flashy but do their job well. They know where to be on the field and that is a direct result of good training.

I'd say the season was a success when comparing to the joke of 2011 and the experience gained in 2012 could see them back in the finals in 2013.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Lilo stays healthy, White continues to improve and Pocock comes over, I think they will be playing finals next year.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The only thing the Brumbies will have to worry about in getting Pocock over is the cold weather Mrs Pocock isn't so sure about.

But global warming should put an end to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.