• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Three Man Lineout Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hi everyone,

I had an interesting question posed to me about 2 minutes before kickoff on Saturday morning.

This team wanted to show me a 3 man lineout lift, which in all my years of playing and coaching rugby, I had never seen or heard of.

The scenario is as follows:

4 men are involved in the lineout, a jumper and three lifters.

The two lifters either side of the jumper track backwards along the line of touch as per any normal lineout.

The third lifter initially stands behind these three players, then steps out of the lineout (away from the line of touch) and waits for the jumper to be in line with him.

When the jumper is in line with him, the two lifters in the lineout lift on the inside leg (closest to the line of touch) of the jumper, while the third lifter lifts on the outside leg (away from the line of touch) of the jumper.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on this. How would you referee it??

For the life of me I can’t see how this is effective in any way – the players were of the opinion that they were using this method to make the lift more stable, but as a second rower and lineout jumper during my playing days, I don’t think you can get more stable than the traditional methods.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
sounds like the only potential advantage is to have 2 posts already set up as the 2 men lifting the inside leg, and a third in place to maul the ball away, setting up a rolling maul quicker. Still seems odd though

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Outside of that i reckon it's unsafe and a stupid proposition.

I have always wondered why in rugby the two tallest players just dont lift the 3rd tallest at 2 in a lineout.

Meeks

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree all of the above it would be illegal, as a player is leaving the lineout prior to the ball being thrown in. Whats the current law on the hooker lifting from inside the 5m? that would be smiliar interpertation. I would police it the same way as you would a sweeping runner.

Rugbysmartarse is right, they are doing this to allow the ripper on early and to secure the ball, thus not allowing the oppostion to sack the jumper prior to maul bein formed.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I would suggest it is illegal, as the player is leaving the lineout before the ball is thrown. The numbers are set and cannot be changed.

In my experience (in NSW Subbies Rugby) the hooker generally is not allowed to lift in the lineout. Our referees are quite picky on where the opposing hooker stands at lineout time.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have always wondered why in rugby the two tallest players just dont lift the 3rd tallest at 2 in a lineout.

Have you watched any junior rugby? The all seem keen on the 2 tallest players being the lifters. Then suddenly you get a heap of tall locks playing colts who can't jump and need to be taught.

Here is why this situation is not a viable option. While height is one thing in a lineout speed is another. Speed in enabling the jumper to reach their maximum height as quick as possible and also in terms of moving to the space so that the opposition are not in a position to compete for the ball. Jumpers who are quick across the ground and can also produce a quality vertical leap are much more effective that tall guys who take a huge effort to get off the ground.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
tis illegal as the lineout must be two single straight lines.

Law 19.8 (l) Two single straight lines. The lineout players of both teams form two single parallel lines each at right angles to the touchline.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Have you watched any junior rugby? The all seem keen on the 2 tallest players being the lifters. Then suddenly you get a heap of tall locks playing colts who can't jump and need to be taught.

That is more due to the fact that the props (who are normally just fat kids rather than the muscle-bound heavies at international level) don't have the strength to lift other kids. The only guys that can do that are the bigger kids- second-rowers and backrowers who are generally a few steps down the physical developmental pathway. Even then a lot of them can only lift a halfback or hooker.

R

Redsfan

has to be 2m back from the lineout right?

I think so. But I did think that he can move in once the line-out is set.

My club has calls where the jumper takes the place of the half, and then runs into the lineout wherever he want to be lifted, and I think that's pretty common.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
That is more due to the fact that the props (who are normally just fat kids rather than the muscle-bound heavies at international level) .

Hey! I resemble that remark :)

although as a schoolboy LHP, I either threw the lineout, or was at #2 in the lineout (albeit before lifting was allowed). I also kicked for goal. so much wasted talent...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
For me there are multiple infringements here.

1 – Player leaving the lineout. 19.14 (e) PK sanction.
2 – Two straight lines. 19.8 (l) FK sanction.
3 – Obstruction from lifters. PK sanction.

My thoughts were penalty for offside as the first infringement was the player leaving the lineout. PK on the 15m line.

I was pretty disappointed with the team I was refereeing too as I had already done my pre-match chat and gave them the opportunity to ask any questions a good 30mins prior to kickoff.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.