• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Toby Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One of the truly great but largely unknown and unsung Aussie sporting heroes, Toby is the current FIM World Rally Champion, and is about to tackle Dakar 2019 which starts on Sunday.

For those who don't know Toby or want to see more of his exploits, I recommend a look at the video of his involvement in the Finke Desert Race where he attempted to win both the bikes and cars categories in the same year - (http://www.tp87.com.au/). As well as giving insight into the man, it contains some excellent footage of the race taken both on the bike and in the car. There is also some footage of the Dakar (arguably the toughest endurance sporting event in the world) which he won at his second attempt in 2016 in a second video that follows on from the Finke coverage.

Dakar highlights coverage can be seen on SBS from 8 January.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But he doesn't drive a car in the Dakar. It is motorcycle the whole way. There is no doubt that it is the ultimate challenge of endurance, but in my book it is also a sporting event.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Certainly not a sport with an even playing field.Heavily in favour of who's got the most cash.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Riding with an injured wrist which nearly kept him out of the race, and saw him riding one handed along the way, Toby has triumphed again for his second Dakar win. An amazing effort.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah agreed. Dakar is one of the most ridiculous events going. I don't follow closely - any deaths this year BR?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No deaths that I'm aware of Barb, but plenty of injured competitors along the way.

I find the Dakar to be compulsory viewing for the landscapes and impossible terrain for racing, the monumental and most times very funny crashes, the sheer obstinate attitude of the competitors not to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.