• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tony Greig

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I thought it appropriate to wish Tony Greig all the best of luck with his new opponent:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...with-lung-cancer/story-fndo317g-1226499858729

As a kid of the 70's and an teenager/adult of the 80's, it it seems the sound of Greig's voice (and indeed the whole WWOS Summer team) has been with me as long as I can remember.

Good luck Greigy. Hope you can duck this one, unlike a certain Lillee bouncer to your new motorbike helmet back in the day.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
R.I.P Tony Greig. The sounds of summer just won't be the same with your passing. One of the trail blazers of the game in the 70's & a trail blazer as a commentator. Your verbal joustings with Bill Lawrie were legendary. You will be missed by many.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
RIP Greigy.

Cricket should be forever thankful for his contribution as a player and captain, but especially as one who was instrumental in WSC.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Vale Tony, very few South Africans or Englishman are able to win over the Aus public on a long term basis. You overcome both obstacles and brought much needed balance to the commentary. Greig had a presence that had to be seen, one of the few people that are immediately identifiable on the cricket field due to his penchant for hats, his build (and his penchant for hanging around the pitch).

One bit of commentary that stuck in my mind was him crapping on about the gloriousness of Qld mangoes on one of the first days of the gabba test in the late 80s or 90s. I don't know why it stuck in my mind, maybe because it made me realise how many Aussies take what we have for granted and sometimes you need an outsider to show you why things here are special.

Just as Grieg (and others came to prominence) with 50 over circket, so they are fading away as the latest form of the game muscles its way in.

Summer just wont ever be the same for a whole generation (and more) of us .

[In saying that, previous generations have said the same before us, e.g. my wife's grandmother maintains cricket hasnt been the same since Larwood retired and people blocked traffic on the streets to boo at the radio broadcast of him bowling!]

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
R.I.P Tony Greig. Will always remember Sir Richard Hadlee sledging him one day "I don't get you Tony" to which TG replied "What do you mean?", SRH: "Well, you were born in South Africa, played cricket for England, live in Australia, yet you support New Zealand because you like sheep". Tony Greig was left speechless, brilliant sledge that, to me at least, showed the friendship and camaraderie of those invovled in the commentary, with Bill Lawrie reportedly retiring at the end of this summer the WWOS commentary won't be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.