• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tough Mudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am looking at entering the 2013 Tough Mudder in Brisbane in August. I was wondering if anyone had ever done one of these events before and what their thought about it were? I've been doing some training this year but am finding it hard to keep motivated with out a goal in sight. I guess this is going to be it.

I don't think I'll be partaking in the Tough Mudder Tattoo after though.

http://toughmudder.com.au/events/au-brisbane-2013/

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's probably exaggerated how hard it actually is.

Sure the obstacles are hard and require some mental fortitude but any health person who exercises 3 times a week consistently could complete it at a light jog between obstacles.

EDIT: I've made it sound easier than it is, it sucks but trust me you can do it.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I did the Stampede and I will do this one too.

The stampede was only 10klm.

I need to start training...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm committed to the Perth event in October alongside at the moment 5 others. Bit of strategic thinking as the Perth event also means a visit to the Little Creature brewery.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I am looking at entering the 2013 Tough Mudder in Brisbane in August. I was wondering if anyone had ever done one of these events before and what their thought about it were? I've been doing some training this year but am finding it hard to keep motivated with out a goal in sight. I guess this is going to be it.

I don't think I'll be partaking in the Tough Mudder Tattoo after though.

http://toughmudder.com.au/events/au-brisbane-2013/
Stuartfaz on twitter did the melbourne one last year, if you want to ask him

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Stuartfaz on twitter did the melbourne one last year, if you want to ask him

A former school mate of mine did the Sydney one earlier this one. He's a reasonably fit bloke. He said you don't have to kill yourself training for it too much. Just keep a good level of fitness as when you are in the middle of the pack, you tend to have to wait to get through obstacles, so you care catch your breathe in between. That said, he was always a fairly good athlete.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not expecting it to kill me. I just need to have a goal to focus on when I should be going to the gym and can't be bothered. I did Crossfit 3 times a week for about 4 months but have spent the last couple doing a strength program as I was getting sick of not being able to do some of the workouts. I'll get back into Crossfit mid to late Feb as I hope to be able to most things by then. I've managed overhead squats (with just the bar, planning on adding weight on Thursday) but the number of chin ups required are an issue especially when I weigh over 100kgs.
I was planning to do it with a bunch of guys from Sunnybank but it's on the last weekend of home and away fixtures for the comp so I'm not sure how many are going to be keen.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Amen Jets.

I can do 15 chin-ups at rest and I'm a smidgen over 100kg but Crossfit's most standard workout requires 21 chin-ups, then 15, then 9.

I've got no hope.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You can do kipping ones but its a skill I haven't fully yet mastered. I did a workout that was 100 burpee chin-ups. They was a very large jump in my chin-ups otherwise I would still be there.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
You can do kipping ones but its a skill I haven't fully yet mastered. I did a workout that was 100 burpee chin-ups. They was a very large jump in my chin-ups otherwise I would still be there.

I'd get nowhere near that. I think to be honest I kip a tiny bit anyway, which is natural.

I haven't been taught the proper kipping skill or anything but I'd like it if someone did teach me because it'd be good to get a few more reps in that last couple of sets.

Anyway mate if you can content with a proper Crossfit workout (some affiliates are way easier on their clientele than others) you're set for tough mudder.

I'm nowhere near Crossfit standard and I coped pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.