• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Toulon target George Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It looks like Toulon are after George Smith. The ARU had better offer him the Oz captaincy else they may lose him.

Toulon is the team that had Matfield, Oliver and Gregan playing for it last year when it was in their Pro D2 (2nd division) and they helped top get it promoted to the Top 14 (1st division).

This year they have Jerry Collins, Joe van Niekerk, Matt Henjak, Mafi Kefu, Luke Rooney, a blast from the past Orene Ai'i, and the invisible SBW. They also have a dynamite prop from Georgia (that's from the old Soviet outfit, not the USA) called Davit Kubriashvili. [Yes, I copied and pasted his name.]

I've seen them play 4-5 times and it's funny with the French commentary because I thought they were in pain a couple of times when they yelled out "Aieeeee !!", but they were only talking about a good move by Orene.

Although Collins is showing some old form, Henjak is playing quite well, Mafi Kefu, the youngest brother, has been a rock in the midfield, and Luke Rooney hasn't disgraced himself, Toulon is a seriously crap team, even taking into account the injuries they have had.

This from rugby365

Toulon target Smith
Thu, 11 Dec 2008

Big spending Top 14 side Toulon are reportedly in the hunt for Wallabies superstar fetcher George Smith in a bid to strengthen their hopes of becoming the best club in the world.

French publication L'?quipe reported on Thursday the club president Mourad Boujellal has hosted the livewire No.7 at an overnight meeting in France, with the two believed to have discussed a deal which would see the Brumbies star join the club next June after the 2009 Super 14 when his contract with his current team runs out.

The 96-cap veteran Australian flank though is believed to have more than just the one option on the table with both Brive and Clermont also believed to be chasing his signature.

Smith stood in for Stirling Mortlock as Australia's captain in their 18-11 win over the star-studded Barbarians at Wembley last Wednesday and was man of the match in the historic clash that marked 100 years since Australia's Olympic gold medal for rugby in London.

While there is no doubt that Smith will stand to make a huge amount of money should he opt to continue his career in France (with a rumoured salary of GBP400 000 a year reported last week) any move would obviously also then put a halt to his magnificent international career.

With the prospect of becoming his countries fourth test cap centurion, not to mention the possiblity that he could captain them to the 2011 World Cup still very much alive, it remains to be seen how likely a move to Europe really is for 28 year-old star.

Status
Not open for further replies.