• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tour of India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
With Hughes - is it his technique or is he psyching himself out?

In addition to O'Keefe on that plane I want Matt Hayden sent over to teach these crackers how to sweep a spinner. None of them can do it. The article today about CA turning down Saqlain Mushtaq's offer of teaching our spinners the doosra just says everything that is wrong about CA at the moment. They did not take this team to India to win, they took the squad they wanted for the Ashes and said do your best boys.

Hayden is over there commentating. He gave the cap out to Henriques.

Not sure I agree with your view on Mushtaq. As far as I can see, there is no way to bowl a doosra without chucking it. It might cost us, but at least we are playing to the rules.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure I agree with your view on Mushtaq. As far as I can see, there is no way to bowl a doosra without chucking it. It might cost us, but at least we are playing to the rules.

That has been Cricket Australia's view for the last couple of years. They stated that they didn't think the ball could be bowled legally so they didn't want to teach it spin bowlers.

It would seem to me that this is a poor decision currently. This ball is now being bowled by many bowlers and the ICC is accepting of it.

For good or for bad (mostly for bad) it has become part of the game and we'd be crazy not to develop our bowlers with it.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hayden is over there commentating. He gave the cap out to Henriques.

The ICC have allowed spinners 15 degree angle movement. It is legal, right or wrong, they changed the rules so that spinners could bowl that way. Not accepting that is putting Aus at a serious disadvantage.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Having a doosra would make absolutely no difference to our current state. Doherty and Lyon's issues don't come from a lack of variety, they come from a lack of control. Too many short, wide balls. This is about bread and butter, not gravy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Working with one of the more successful finger spinners should see improvements to control as well. Maybe it's optimistic but having Mushtaq around these guys could only be positive and beneficial to more aspects of there game than simply bowling a doosra. Is Steve Rixon still spinning coach to the test team & how many test wickets did he take?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia is going to struggle to produce quality spinners whilst we have very spin unfriendly wickets.

We are at the point where most of our spinners excel at short form cricket where they bowl flat and accurately but then offer little at four/five day cricket in terms of wicket taking ability and furthermore, struggle for accuracy once they try and toss the ball up more.

It would be good for Australian cricket for the SCG to become a spinners paradise again. At least then, one ground in Australia would really encourage a lot of spin bowling. As it is, even that is a more seem friendly pitch than it ever has been before.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
And if you can't convince the curator at the SCG to do it, schedule a game in Longreach or some other dust bowl (doctored or natural) for each team each year. Barely anyone watches the sheild live and I'm sure some regional centres could russle up just as many spectators as the capital cities.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I coached junior cricket in the Warne heyday and was amazed at nearly every kids' ability to throw down a leg spinner. I assumed that by today we would be awash with leggies and be scratching for pace bowlers.

The best of these leggies made their top school teams but the transition to grade coincided with the advent of the first of the big bats. This took out the effectiveness of deep mid wicket, who now watched mis-hit balls fly over their heads or ground balls that they would normally snap up, fly past them at great speed. You can't buy a wicket if the ball is landing 20 metres beyond the boundary.

These kids could easily leak runs so they weren't given much of a bowl and would eventually drop out.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The ICC have allowed spinners 15 degree angle movement. It is legal, right or wrong, they changed the rules so that spinners could bowl that way. Not accepting that is putting Aus at a serious disadvantage.

Well, I for one am glad they are taking a stand, because the 15 degree allowance is chucking. Are we going to change the rules everytime that someone from the subcontinent doesn't fit within the current ones? We already see it with 3rd umpire.

It makes it look like cricket is run by a bunch of amateurs that are afraid of the big boys.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
What's with Australian teams ATM? Does this remind anyone of Quadegate? I think it is outrageous that a national coach is awaiting player surveys on team improvements.

At last count that's ARU, Swimming Aust and Cricket Aust all paying royalties to "Brittnay Spears"

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Mickey Arthur needs the players to tell him how they need to improve, what hope is there? I feel there is something more in this though, I just don't know what exactly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What will the team be for the next test?

Cowan, Warner, Clarke, Hughes, Haddin, Wade, Henriques, Maxwell, Starc, Siddle, Lyon?

If Wade isn't fit, you either need to play Steve Smith or Doherty.

I think Haddin has to play regardless of Wade's fitness. We need his batting.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
You would hope that we put these guys in the team for their ability to play cricket, not to write essays.

Not that we needed any more evidence that Aus cricket is now the laughing stock of world cricket, but there you go.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am hearing rumours of very significant divisions within the Aus cricket squad and, if true, Clarke is as much of the problem as Arthur. The board will need to work out how to make peace and get everyone on the same page. Clarke has had problems getting on with other players before (as reported in the press at the time) so the rumours are easy to believe.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Watson's decision to quit the tour, whilst understandable, suggests there are deeper problems. Time for anther review, that will fix it:rolleyes:

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Im the same with the rumours. And Clarke is the problem in my eyes.

Wotto and him haven't seen eye to since a incident involving Hussey's retirement game. Pretty good source of a email going around the Hussey's last game. Wotto wanted to have few beers Hussey in the dressing room after the game. But james packer was having a party on his boat and Clarke wanted to go same with Warner, (notice It's been Warner and Clarke doing most of the talking) but a few wanted to stay with Huss. So what Clarke did is turn it into a official team gathering so everyone has to go or chance to be dropped for not attending.

I'm pretty sure that we have seen the last of wottson as he left India in plain clothing and not Australian suit. That another big no no in these rules that have.

I reckon There Is a plot to Ruin Australia's biggest sports.

Wallabies a New Zealand coach and all black are no1

Aus cricket South African coach and the saffa's are no1

Where fucked for the ashes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
biggsy is referring to this story.

Mike Hussey is at the centre of a rumour doing the rounds by email, and published in of all places a financial gossip column on Thursday, that he and Michael Clarke had a spectacular falling out after his farewell Test at the SCG. According to the scuttlebutt, Hussey and Clarke had been split over where post-match celebrations should be held - Mr Cricket wanted them in the dressing room and then the hotel, but the captain preferred a planned evening on James Packer's super yacht Seahorse. Hussey, it was claimed, boycotted the boat ride in protest, having also just been surprisingly left out of the one-day squad. He was joined by two other players, the email said. The Tonk was made aware of the alleged dispute on Wednesday morning and quickly had it shot down vehemently by Hussey's management and Cricket Australia. There is at least one element of truth to the email, though - Hussey did not join teammates on Packer's vessel. But the way it was told to this column is that was because the team had already celebrated in their SCG dressing room and then their hotel until about 10pm and he wanted to rejoin his family, who were staying with him in a suite at the team's Sydney base. The Tonk was told the others who stayed in the hotel at The Rocks instead of boarding the boat were Shane Watson, who missed the Test because of injury but wanted to be part of Hussey's farewell, and Peter Siddle. Support staff with families present, including Steve Rixon and Dene Hills, also stayed with Hussey in the hotel rather than hitting Sydney Harbour.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Im the same with the rumours. And Clarke is the problem in my eyes.

Wotto and him haven't seen eye to since a incident involving Hussey's retirement game. Pretty good source of a email going around the Hussey's last game. Wotto wanted to have few beers Hussey in the dressing room after the game. But james packer was having a party on his boat and Clarke wanted to go same with Warner, (notice It's been Warner and Clarke doing most of the talking) but a few wanted to stay with Huss. So what Clarke did is turn it into a official team gathering so everyone has to go or chance to be dropped for not attending.

I'm pretty sure that we have seen the last of wottson as he left India in plain clothing and not Australian suit. That another big no no in these rules that have.

I reckon There Is a plot to Ruin Australia's biggest sports.

Wallabies a New Zealand coach and all black are no1

Aus cricket South African coach and the saffa's are no1

Where fucked for the ashes.

And our Welsh Prime Minister is doing over the NRL and AFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.