• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Transfer fees in rugby...why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Rugby has being following a similar path to football for a few years now, with the really rich competitions poaching all the good players from around the world, yet a major difference is transfer fees.

I think rugby union should start using transfer fees as a way of evening out the playing field and reimbursing the clubs and countries which funded the players growth. It would definetly help out the Southern Hemisphere countries and sides if every time a big name player was poached they were reimbursed with a few $million.

Currently Matt Giteau allegedly wants to get out to go play for Bayonne because the wages they are offereing are huge, thats fine, what if they offered the ARU/Western Force something like $4million to let him go from his contract.

Other players like Rocky Elsom, Chris Latham and George Gregan in recent years could have commanded a multi $million transfer fee which would have gone back into the ARU and the relevant S14 team.

What are peoples opinions on transfer fees?

T

Turban

Alot of players leave when their contracts expire though. With zero knowledge of the legal situation, how can you charge a transfer fee for a player who is no longer contracted to the ARU?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, but the Force would be broke!

Turban - I think you are right - transfer fees in football only come mid contract.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ask the NRL - a long long time ago in a land - players had no call on where they were going, clubs transfered them to the highest bidder and the players ended up with Jack.
Now the players are free agents and so it should be.
No club should own a player except in his services during a contract time.
I am not a lawyer but I can't see how it will work under the current contracts.I suppose if a club offered a contract with an additional codisil which alled them to transfer during the contract time 'for consideration' which would be split with the player and the club it might work but i don't think the players will entertain it.

F

formeropenside

players should have to play for the State that gave them Schoolboy or U-19 honours for 5 years minimum, with a hefty transfer fee during this period to see off poaching other local provinces

I dont mind about players going overseas so much. Its players going to other Australian provinces that offends me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agreed FOS. And further when they do leave their home state they should be tatooed with the words "I sold my sole for $$"

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why don't we just put one of those ankle braces on that doesn't let them get more than a certain distance from Ballymore without electric shocks or something? I suppose it better have a kill switch for away games though.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Agreed FOS. And further when they do leave their home state they should be tatooed with the words "I sold my sole for $$"

exactly right Noddy, and Scotty has a good idea with the ankle bracelets too.

T

TOCC

Turban said:
Alot of players leave when their contracts expire though. With zero knowledge of the legal situation, how can you charge a transfer fee for a player who is no longer contracted to the ARU?
that is how it is now, but that is because transfer payments arent currently allowed by the IRB, having transfer fees would probably encourage players to sign for longer as well, knowing that if they really want to go to another team they really want to.

The only way a player can leave now is if the club releases him, clubs dont want to do that because they get nothing out of it. If in turn they were offered $500'000 for a player who is sitting on the bench, then he they would probably release him, reinvest it back in the juniors or the facilities.

rugbywhisperer said:
Ask the NRL - a long long time ago in a land - players had no call on where they were going, clubs transfered them to the highest bidder and the players ended up with Jack.
Now the players are free agents and so it should be.
No club should own a player except in his services during a contract time.
I am not a lawyer but I can't see how it will work under the current contracts.I suppose if a club offered a contract with an additional codisil which alled them to transfer during the contract time 'for consideration' which would be split with the player and the club it might work but i don't think the players will entertain it.
the NRL situation was differnt though, in Football players do control where they are going because they can decline the contract with the new club. Alternatively they can just wait until the end of there contract and become free agents and then choose.

This isnt about clubs owning players, the clubs wont own players there contracts wont be any different to what they are now. In football, players put clauses in there contracts like, if club Liverpool come asking for me or a team from the Premier League wants to sign me then i can exercise the right to be transferred.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Noddy said:

If they have to sell a flat fish to get interstate, they should be let go!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Using an ankle bracelet to ensure one's sole (sic) doesn't stray far from Ballymore seems fine to me. What else would one use?8) 8) 8)

R

rugbywhisperer

formeropenside said:
players should have to play for the State that gave them Schoolboy or U-19 honours for 5 years minimum, with a hefty transfer fee during this period to see off poaching other local provinces
I dont mind about players going overseas so much. Its players going to other Australian provinces that offends me.

Not a bad idea, however in Qld there would be a total oversupply of players. One reason so many do move on is the logjam of young talent that can't move.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Interesting idea TOCC. A coupla thoughts to throw in:

1 - I don't think there's the money in Rugby for it. Apart from a couple of French clubs with Billionaire owners, the majority of Euro clubs scratching around for the player salaries as it is. Apart from the odd Marquee player (Carter or Gits) effectively the cash would be coming out of the player's wage pot

2 - Sponsor payments are murky enough in Aus right now, if it were anything like Euro football, this would add a whole other can of skimming/scamming worms. A good chunk of that money seems to end up with players, managers and agents rather than the players anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.