• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2 : All Blacks vs Springbokke @ Cake Tin

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Well that was a bit of a shitter wasn't it? Good old battle but just so stop start.

Again, it seems like I only point out the sheer stupidity in these rugby games, the AB's deserved that crap because they chose to let Barrett kick when they had Mo'unga on the field. The sheer arrogance of that is mind boggling.

Coles continues to be a bit of a prick. As does S. Whitelock.

Thought Mo'unga was not great at 10. Didn't control the game at all, shoveled the ball on to players under pressure a lot..

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Boks will take that as a win. I know teams are testing combination but the ABs look a little shaky......but still time to inject that combination to fill the cracks in the wall.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bugger. Was a good game, regardless. Not too bad an effort by a mixed bag NZ XV vs SA 1st XV. Power up, and optimise, the top match squad and the pressure will really be on the Springbok attack to improve significantly by the RWC.

I'm not a fan of him as captain, but Read's decision to take the final penalty goal instead of continuing to press was a tricky one, so will give him a pass for that one. Though his performance as a player has done nothing to dissuade my wanting Savea at #8.

EDIT: Potentially/likely loosing Retallick is pretty devastating though.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bugger. Was a good game, regardless. Not too bad an effort by a mixed bag NZ XV vs SA 1st XV. Power up, and optimise, the top match squad and the pressure will really be on the Springbok attack to improve significantly by the RWC.

I'm not a fan of him as captain, but Read's decision to take the final penalty goal instead of continuing to press was a tricky one, so will give him a pass for that one. Though his performance as a player has done nothing to dissuade my wanting Savea at #8.

EDIT: Potentially/likely loosing Retallick is pretty devastating though.
I felt sadness in my heart for him and the All Blacks in that moment.

Really hope it's not as bad as it looked. He is such a wonderful player and I think he really wanted to be part of this game after having missed last year's event.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Been fortunate to watch this kid plays since schooldays at Paul Roos and knew he has all the talent. If he can make it against Grey College at Bloem and play their supporters tjoep stil , you know this is something special. Hope he settle down on test level after his excellent debut against the Wallabies.

this kid is going places.

Ma se kind is yster.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tell you what Ullrich, if you go to Auckland when there a Bok/AB test on, I will come over and meet up with you. And if I have already moved back would go to Auckland just for meet up!! I have great joy in meeting and having quiet beer with people who share my passion!!
I stayed up until 5 in the morning pondering and getting excited about this game. The game started 09:35 our time, so I got in a slight bit of sleep.

That's how much I love this rivalry.

Thank you very much for your kind gesture Dan (1954)? . So long you understand I am of a much younger generation, barely 30 this year.

Was that not a game to behold though, two different halves. I felt for sure the ABs had once again done their voodoo and conjured a win after what from their side was a pretty shitty first half. Yet, here we are all square.

The Springboks kept to it and I think that's the greatest lesson we will take from this game. Last year the All Blacks kept to it and won a great game at Loftus. This year we kept to it despite being on the back foot and managed a draw. That takes a tremendous amount from I team I would think.

Hence myself hoping we can manage something that resembles progress in the next game. South Africa is renowned for getting up for some things and lying low for others.

Consistency is the key here and I don't think winning the RC has any bearing, despite some saying none who has won it won the RWC.

At the end of the day Rassie is stepping down at the end of the year, as coach, not as DOR, so for him any silverware will be important. At the same time so will momentum be important. The SA public feeds off it and in so doing the Boks.

We're fickle.

If the public is upset the Boks do not perform.

I can report that currently the public has optimism.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep well I thought the ABs looked pretty scratchy in first 40, mind you I also thought Boks were very good, but seemed like ABs improved after the break. I actually not convinced the Mounga/Barrett thing worked all that well, but it also first time it tried so., and to be fair to Mo, he definitely found it better when Smith was at 9, may have been better service, but I really think AB pack was operating a lot better by then. R Ioane looks to me like he getting a little like his brother, is he unfit? Boks certainly had fun kicking down his wing, he seemed to be miles away. Anyway not a exciting fluid test, and I bit concerned about the loss of Lurch, but another Bok/AB test where neither team was prepared to make it easy for the other.
I will add I was a little concerned how our starting front row went, Moody and Franks look out of sorts to me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lurch has been cleared of structural damage & Shag says he has every chance of being good to go come RWC. Still "breaking news" so no further detail atm.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lurch has been cleared of structural damage & Shag says he has every chance of being good to go come RWC. Still "breaking news" so no further detail atm.
Man that's surprising given how much pain he was in. Lurch didn't strike me as the kind of guy to limp off with a cork.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Having had a number of them (that ended my rugby playing days with a full recon), I can vouch for the fact that they hurt like hell. The rehab can be lengthy too, depending on the level of damage inside the joint and to the ligaments. A different sport, but Jhye Richardson from the OZ cricket team dislocated his shoulder in March is only now back to competitive play. Lurch will need everything to go perfectly in his treatment to be back for the RWC, I reckon. It obviously depends on the extent of the injury too.