• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Certainly it wasn't a win for the ages and we have a long way to go.

Game plans are one thing, but if players continue to give up ball easily it makes it hard to consistently apply pressure.

However, I think there are some clear positives that can be taken out of the first two games -

- we have abandoned the previous defense structure. IMO that is as significant as any other issue/selection. We still have some way to go in applying defensive pressure, but I thought we looked as good defensively last night in a long time with the one off exception of the first test v Ireland last year
- Naisarani has shown he can step up to this level. Looks the goods.
- Our set piece suddenly looks much better. Not really sure on some of the lineout calls last night (ie the throws over the back) but we have 4 genuine options and suddenly our line out is an add not a minus. Who would have thunk. Mind you, I expect the ABs to apply the blow torch here
- Genia played well last night and Nic White has been good both weeks. It gives another dimension to our attack
- Lealiifano was good last night. I'd like to see him hold his spot. I don't personally think there is much difference but I think he looks the better option to me
- Beale has been good at the back. Next week I'd like to see Banks on the wing in place of Hodge and I think that could be a pretty strong back 3

The other thing for me is the work of our centres. Kerevi is in career best form and has carried that to the Wallabies. On the flip side, TK has appeared a bit quiet. No doubt Kerevi's games style is contributing to that. I just think we need to give it a bit of time. Kerevi showed this year he can set up guys around him. TK is a proven try scorer and strong defender. The are both class players but they've still only played a handful of games together.

Great post TSR, I agree with all - apart from Beale. I think he's being a bit over-stated. He is superb from broken play and injecting himself into a playmaker position - which I agree is something lacking in the squad But....

He still has a glaring weakness under the high ball, and this will be exposed verse tougher opposition. I think he wasn't tested under pressure often this game also, which I think is where Banks shades him for consistency and is the safer option.

Banks defence at the back is much better then Beale too - Banks pretty much made a try saving tackle last game.

Honestly I wouldn't be unhappy for Beale over Banks but personally I'd rather the safe hands, good boot, and consistency of Banks. Especially with how much kicking was involved with the Boks/All Blacks game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty massive change in attack structure yesterday. Genia and White were clearly making the play. I reckon it's a much better setup and suits our players.

Looking at the stats, the 9s passed 71 times last night and 69 times against South Africa

Foley passes 28 times and ran it 13. CLL passed just 9 times and ran it 6 (To'omua was 7 and 6). ESPN stats

This is a big negative for me with CLL's game. He needs to get his hands on the ball more and get himself into position on attack. Too often he is caught up in rucks - I like his enthusiasm to do the gritty stuff but sometimes a playmaker needs to get hold back and let the guy next to him hit the ruck - I'm not saying don't hit rucks when he needs to but he needs to get the balance right.

Some poor passes from him too (apart from that that superb pass for the try). I like him to get a heap of more game time to settle into the position, currently the best option we have, still performing to a higher level then Foley, but needs a bit more work to get our attack to click.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For me it is about the selection of the back three, rather than an individual choice between Beale & Banks.

Koroibete, Beale & Banks for mine is better than Koriobete, Banks & whomever else.

I’d be happy with Banks in 15 if there was another strong, In-form wing option.

From memory, Beale has put a couple of high balls down, but I just don’t think any of our back 3 options are without flaws.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For me it is about the selection of the back three, rather than an individual choice between Beale & Banks.

Koroibete, Beale & Banks for mine is better than Koriobete, Banks & whomever else.

I’d be happy with Banks in 15 if there was another strong, In-form wing option.

From memory, Beale has put a couple of high bale down, but I just don’t think any of our back 3 options are without flaws.

That's a good point. I guess the only option for balance (without Beale) would be Maddocks, Banks, Korio. But you'd take Beale over Maddocks any day.

I'm just concerned with Banks on the wing, he's had no game-time there the last 2 years - I'm surprised he didn't start there this game instead of Hodge.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He can't say "mate, we are screwed, lets hope we can keep the margin within 20" and the commentators need to up-sell us to get more people watching

How about ' a step in the right direction' , ' showing positive signs'. "An indication that things new systems are starting to take hold"

Bit more honest then -' holy shit how good '

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think we'll any of our flyhalves as involved in the ways we are used to. The wallabies seem to be running things off the halfback and bypassing them. Expecting flyhalves to not defend and enter rucks just doesn't work in the modern game. Everyone need to have to be able to fill in everywhere.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think we'll any of our flyhalves as involved in the ways we are used to. The wallabies seem to be running things off the halfback and bypassing them. Expecting flyhalves to not defend and enter rucks just doesn't work in the modern game. Everyone need to have to be able to fill in everywhere.

It needs a balance though, Sully. You can’t have your 10 playing as a defacto 7. They would never get involved in distribution or playmaking. Less an issue at 12, but a 10 mostly needs to be in the line setting game movement.

The big difference for me was go forward in the pack. 9 and 10 can perform much more easily and the difference flatters Llea and downplays Foley - on the last two games. Ditto White and Genia. To'omua though was shown to not match Llea and probably can be identified for other roles. Not enough time to give him another crack at 10.

Beale has shone from the bench and followed this form starting. He’ll get 15 I think even though his strength is 2nd playmaker, not FB D or taking the high ball.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

They shouldn't fill in where they don't have too either. You still need balance.How many of our players hit rucks when they don't have too - i.e. Tupou's yellow card.

This game highlighted how much easier it is to defend when your not committing to defensive rucks. The same can be said on attack for a playmaker.

Now I'm not saying don't hit rucks, but if you're second man in and your next to a second rower maybe let him hit it and then re-align into first receiver.

Our whole ruck management accross the park is poor to be honest. Often not committing enough and then often committing too many. Accuracy poor at times also, and I can;t stand our ball carrier flicking the ball back every time instead of placing it on the ground.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It needs a balance though, Sully. You can’t have your 10 playing as a defacto 7. They would never get involved in distribution or playmaking. Less an issue at 12, but a 10 mostly needs to be in the line setting game movement.

The big difference for me was go forward in the pack. 9 and 10 can perform much more easily and the difference flatters Llea and downplays Foley - on the last two games. Ditto White and Genia. To'omua though was shown to not match Llea and probably can be identified for other roles. Not enough time to give him another crack at 10.

Beale has shone from the bench and followed this form starting. He’ll get 15 I think even though his strength is 2nd playmaker, not FB D or taking the high ball.
I thought Beale looked shaky under the high ball but strangely assured in defence. I even recall him making an excellent cover tackle he ordinarily misses 9 times out of 10.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was a tough game to gauge as both sides had a lot of trouble holding onto the pill.
JOC (James O'Connor) made a couple of big tackles in midfield that the bloke being tackled felt. He may have lost a bit of pace but is stronger in contact. I’d love to see him get a bit more time at 13.

Why was he not subbed on earlier?

The LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 experiment should end now. He’s not a backrower. We need a 6 who can contribute a bit more at the breakdown and just get through a ton of work. If LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) remains in the squad it is as a lock, but I fear he is a fair way down the lock pecking order.
Pocock is the obvious choice but once again, why was Jones not subbed on earlier and be given a chance to show what he offers?
Poor management. Neither TK or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) were contributing much. Both should have been replaced much earlier.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Beale had a couple of cracking clearances
This was one of the keys to the defence. I don’t think we gave them a single opportunity inside the 22m line from a poor clearance. Some credit has to go to a strong scrum and carries from the forwards. Easier to clear the ball if your scrum is going forward or Naisarani has bust 5-10m forward.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This was one of the keys to the defence. I don’t think we gave them a single opportunity inside the 22m line from a poor clearance. Some credit has to go to a strong scrum and carries from the forwards. Easier to clear the ball if your scrum is going forward or Naisarani has bust 5-10m forward.
Both Naisarani and Kerevi made shitloads of post contact metres. Don't see that too often from a Wallaby team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, definitely. I think there were also two occasions where we got a turnover and he pumped it long straight away and put us up around half way. It’s a great way to release the pressure valve.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
At some stage of TRC i'd really like to see the combination of 10 CLL 13 TK and 15 Banks given a shot. Even if Banks is on the wing.

Banks was so deadly in super running off a change in play from CLL but there has so far been no attempt at that in the wallabies set up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great post TSR, I agree with all - apart from Beale. I think he's being a bit over-stated. He is superb from broken play and injecting himself into a playmaker position - which I agree is something lacking in the squad But..

He still has a glaring weakness under the high ball, and this will be exposed verse tougher opposition. I think he wasn't tested under pressure often this game also, which I think is where Banks shades him for consistency and is the safer option.

Banks defence at the back is much better then Beale too - Banks pretty much made a try saving tackle last game.

Honestly I wouldn't be unhappy for Beale over Banks but personally I'd rather the safe hands, good boot, and consistency of Banks. Especially with how much kicking was involved with the Boks/All Blacks game.

Hodge is not making a case for selection in the 23 except for his big boot. Banks offers a lot more as well as a big and more accurate boot. One way or another, Banks needs to be either at 15 or on a wing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Random thoughts:

- Front rowers all looking good, and should be even better when AAA returns

- Latu did alright off the bench

- The lock combo of Arnold/Rodda settling in nicely......... for the first time in years we're not only winning our own ball *gasp* but we're putting a lot of pressure on the opposition

- Not at all surprised Naisarani has stepped up to test level, but the back row doesn't seem right. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) should maybe come off the bench, but I don't know if Jones did his chances any good with his cameo. We're getting smoked at the breakdown though.

- We have two very good halbacks.

- Lilo played well....... we seem to go back to going sideways when he came off.

- For all of Kerevi's positives (and there's a lot of them) he's stifling players outside of him.

- Kuridrani trying to look for work, but so far his main positive is organising the outside defence

- I thought Beale looked good at fullback, and Korobeite cemented his wing spot. Hodge played alright, but still seems a tad sluggish.

But the All Blacks are going to destroy us if our breakdown work doesn't improve and we don't cut down on the bad passes/handling errors.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

This gets rolled out after every game the Tahs players are below standard or others have a good game. Surely, Phipps must come back in now that we have a scrum going forwards.:(:eek: