• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trip to Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gaggers,

My lady friend and I are looking to take maybe a 3 or 4 night trip to the Big Smoke (Sydney).

I haven't been there since I was probably about 12, as I haven't had any good reason to, but it is our country's largest city and apparently a great destination so I've decided to take a gander.

So, basically what I'm asking is could you Sydneysiders (or anyone in general who is familiar with Sydney) offer some advice in terms of landmarks to visit, bars/nightclubs to frequent or perhaps accommodation options.

Any suggestions would be terrific.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Gaggers,

My lady friend and I are looking to take maybe a 3 or 4 night trip to the Big Smoke (Sydney).

I haven't been there since I was probably about 12, as I haven't had any good reason to, but it is our country's capital and a terrific city so I've decided to take a gander.

So, basically what I'm asking is could you Sydneysiders (or anyone in general who is familiar with Sydney) offer some advice in terms of landmarks to visit, bars/nightclubs to frequent or perhaps accommodation options.

Any suggestions would be terrific.

whaaaat?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
All of the cliche touristy stuff- Manly ferry, bridge climb (awesome experience if you are willing to shell out $130), Opera House, go up centrepoint tower, Darling Harbour, China town, Bondi, the Rocks. There is a reason these places are chocked full of tourists every day. They are awesome.

Good restaraunts and bars around Darling Harbour and the Rocks, and as for nightlife, you can't really go past Kings Cross can you?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Im 20 and a sydneysider, but im not active on the partying scene...

oh but if you want an awesome burger go to Paul's famous burgers in Sylvania.

I'm not the worlds biggest partier but you don't go on a holiday to stay home at night haha.

I am a fan of a good burger, if Sylvania is inner city perhaps I'll hit it up.

All of the cliche touristy stuff- Manly ferry, bridge climb (awesome experience if you are willing to shell out $130), Opera House, go up centrepoint tower, Darling Harbour, China town, Bondi, the Rocks. There is a reason these places are chocked full of tourists every day. They are awesome.

Good restaraunts and bars around Darling Harbour and the Rocks, and as for nightlife, you can't really go past Kings Cross can you?

Sounds good, I know Sydney gets a good rap for it's beaches. I pressume Bondi is the most prolific of the lot?

I know when some of my mates went they hit up manly beach.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
...yeh probs not then...

though I have been on a quest lately for decent burgers, heres a list.

The Counter crows nest
The Burger Joint darlinghurst
Pauls sylvania \
Burgerlicious newtown\
Moo Burgers Newtown
grill'd Harbourside/crows nest
Baker Street Ultimo
Burger Fuel newtown
beautiful burgers chippendale

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd split the time between the Rocks and Manly. Haven't stayed anywhere around there, but if you're after cheaper options check out private rooms in backpackers. I've also found backpackers are great for ideas of what to do in the area, with a budget in mind.

Don't bother with Bondi, it's covered in Poms and concrete. Rather take the ferry from Circular Quay (get a 30 minute harbour cruise for <$10) to Manly. Great night life, restaurants (www.ribsandrumps.com) , beaches (the best body surfing beach in Sydney is Freshwater, one north of Manly).

In the city try and get near somewhere near the Rocks / Circular Quay area. If you're there on a weekday I'll meet you for lunch ;) Try and be in the Rocks for a Sunday, your Mrs will enjoy the markets they have on there. There's a free bus down George Street that'll take you to Chinatown which is good for a dinner too. Have heard bridgeclimb is amazing, but I also heard it's $170!! Don't bother with Centrepoint, took the Mrs up there and while the view is amazing you can see it from lots of places and the show is tacky.

Taronga Park Zoo and Sydney Aquarium are both expensive but very good, maybe put them off until you've got kids to tag along... There's plenty of great harbourside walks / runs around if you're into that sort of stuff.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Something better than backpackers or last minute hotel deal websites:

http://www.airbnb.com/

There's options to stay cheaply in other people's homes in there as well as commercial options...worth a look there...

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
...yeh probs not then...

though I have been on a quest lately for decent burgers, heres a list.

The Counter crows nest
The Burger Joint darlinghurst
Pauls sylvania \
Burgerlicious newtown\
Moo Burgers Newtown
grill'd Harbourside/crows nest
Baker Street Ultimo
Burger Fuel newtown
beautiful burgers chippendale

You can't send someone who is in Sydney for 3 nights to Sylvania. I only live about 10-15 minutes drive from there, and I'd never go there willingly. Other than that, they are all good burger places.

For a swim I'd go with Bronte, or Clovelly if you want to see some fish. Surry Hills/Darlinghurst, or the Inner West are good for a beer and some food. I don't know what your budget is like, but if you can stretch to one fancy-ish meal while you are here you might want to check out Spice I Am Darlinghurst, Longrain (for cocktails as well as food), Bird Cow Fish, Sean's Panorama or Bentley Bar (to name a few).

Though Bondi is generally worth avoiding the North Bondi RSL, and Icebergs (at the other end of the beach) both occupy excellent spots for a late afternoon beer, looking out over Bondi Beach. Another good spot for a beer is Watson's Bay - there is a big beer garden on the water, and you can catch a ferry there, which is nice. As mentioned before, Chinatown is worth a wander through for a beer. I'll second Taronga - good fun, though it's pricey, and takes a while.

If you fancy a train trip, Cronulla Beach is a nice spot outside the city proper with a few good cafes and a nice-ish pub (so long as you don't go there at night on Friday, Saturday or Sunday)... it's quite similar to Manly, though smaller, and a bit less developed.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
King St wharf is getting pretty popular as a destination - lots of restaurants and trendy bars, and you are stumbling distance from almost anything in town (except Kings Cross). Hotel Ibis is right there too, so may be a good budget option. City YHA is good too if you want to spend less - in the rocks and surrounded by night life. And as Moses said, dont go to Bondi - the city beaches are convenient, but shit, and Bondi is the worst. If you cant be arsed getting over the bridge, try bronte or glamaramma instead.

have fun

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Unless you like sitting in traffic and big crowds of people I'd be avoiding the Eastern Suburbs and Inner West all together.

Crossing the bridge isn't necessary either, if you get the ferry it's a fantastic ride and the cheapest harbour cruise around.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If you want somewhere cheap here is where you should stay: http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-harbour/
It is a Hostel but apparently a good one.
You should head down to the Opera House, below it is a bar called Opera bar. Get down there for a few beers around sunset and soak up the view.
You should get the Ferry to Watsons Bay and have some fish and chips at Doyles. Try and get the ferry across to Manly if you want to go to the beach. The Northern beaches are much prettier and cleaner than the ones in the east.
Eating:
The City
On the cheap:
Bar Reggio (Darlinghurst)
BBQ King in Chinatown may look a little dodgy but it is an institution. It gets written up as where the top chef's eat after they finish work. Get the Duck pancackes.
Bungalow 8 at Kings Street wharf do a mean pot of mussels
Medium price:
Pony (The Rocks)
The Malaya ( King Street Wharf)
Hurricanes (Pyrmont side of Darling Harbour) Great for a rack of Ribs
Expensive
Quay (circular quay)
Est (above the Establishment)
Harry's Singaporean Chilli Crab House

Nightlife
Steer well clear of Darling Harbour and George street in the city
The Rocks for good old pubs
Paddington for pubs as well
King Street Wharf is not bad
Kings Cross if you want to go out all night
Darlinghurst has lots of small bars which is alright. Half of this area is the gay part of Sydney though so you may want to leave this part out until you know some locals that can show you where to go.

T

Travi34

Following with interest, as a 22yo Melbournian, going up for the Tahs reverse match end of April. (booked flights 28/04-01/05). Might as well make a day or 3 of it, as i'll be on holidays over easter.

Probably going to hire a car and do a few touristy things, but look forward to putting some faces to screen names, @ the match or otherwise - a la Moses, RF et al.

I'll prob stay @ a backpackers - private room. seems like the general go, not a millionaire, so dont wanna pay $200/night by myself.

let me know what you find out in your travels.

Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.