• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trolls and Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
lately in the forums i've seen a fair few people getting a little upset, referring to each other as trolls and accusing each other of trolling.

there doesn't appear to be any reference to this sort of behaviour in the forum rules.

i'm very new around here so i am hoping that someone might be able to explain to me what all of this means before i get caught offside.

i'm pretty sure i know what flaming is - i get a yellow for that right?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Are you asking what it is?

Trolling is deliberately saying things that will rile a poster up. Say you get a rep as a massive Digby breakdancing fan and someone comes along and bags his dancing, with nothing positive to add, just to get you to rise to his defence. It gets tiresome quite quickly.

Basically, if your posts alway add some value, you won't be accused of tolling or being a troll.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Trolling is purely and simply saying inflammatory things to get a rise out of the other posters, usually adding nothing constuctive to the conversation. A troll is someone who does this regularly.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
There's also a fine line between banter and trolling. Guys who've been around longer, and who people know and trust, will naturally be able get away with more on the edge.

If you're new, people/mods will need time to get to know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.