• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U/15 SJRU, NSW, Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think anyone will be surprised that Sydney 15's absolutely punished the Japanese side - and they will do the same to Country who were beaten 49-0 by Gordon in a trial earlier this year.

The question still remains why Semi finalists Norths have 9 players selected and 4 time State champions Gordon have 3 players and why did Harrison Goddard miss out.

Some people are of the belief that the appointment of Gordon Irons (Norths U16 coach this year and ex Mosman President) to be a selector for Sydney 15's and having the Norths U15 coach to also coach the Barbarians side which had 8 players selected from it was very influential - make up your own mind.

Most of the best players are in the Sydney side - just not all the best players.

Just to add to the conspiracy theory - Irons is on the board of the Norths senior club.

I am told that the Norths coach was co-opted against his wishes and that the necessary independent functionaries were not approached until too late.
As someone observed to me: you're going to struggle to find people prepared to give up their time who dont know a number of people in various roles among the teams and players.
I dont think there would be more than 2 degrees of separation between any 2 rugby followers in Sydney.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Harrison Goddard has taken the place of a 16yr old in NSW Schools Under 16s, assuming its the same one. Now that does suck.

The team is selected so no real point whingeing. It will be corrected next year when you have two teams - City and NSW Schools in 16s. Everyone is then a winner.
I thought Hugh Jarse and George Smith had cast considerable doubt over the future of the multiple paths to U16 glory

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There will always be an element of subjectivity in any representative team selection, no matter how objective the process is. Parents, Relatives, Coaches and Club/District associates are seldom objective in their selections, and as Inside Shoulder has said there is only 2 degrees of separation between any two rugby followers in Sydney.

Over time things even out. How the child, and their parents and friends dealing with the disappointment of not being selected (for skill or political reasons) can be turned into a positive experience.

Life is not always fair. Girls are not made of sugar and spice and all things nice, and little boys are not all slug and snails and puppy dogs tails.

There is still a fair bit of work to be done, but my snout whom I believe is independent of George Smith's sources (two degrees of separation) is fairly adamant that there will be a major revamp to 2014 under 16 National Tournament. ARU who fund the thing to the tune of about $100k+ have been trying to do this for some years.

It is understood that more time has been given to the faceless men in the junior club movement to put more flesh on their proposed U15 and U17 model, and bring it in line with the Pathway.

I am told that the re-establishment of the Franchise Academies has been a little bit of a curveball, because the junior club proposals hadn't really addressed how their model would dovetail neatly into the new franchise based academy system.

IMHO we need to stop the vested interests from trying to glue Humpty Dumpty back together again, and start from scratch by designing a wall that HD can safely sit on without any risk of him falling off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IMHO we need to stop the vested interests from trying to glue Humpty Dumpty back together again, and start from scratch by designing a wall that HD can safely sit on without any risk of him falling off.
Clean slate. Way to go.
But while I'm stoking conspiracy theories - Rugby Addict Messrs Irons, Pulver and Hawker were at school together.

lineoutjumper

Stan Wickham (3)
can someone please tell me what times the boys in the 15s NSW Team play games against QLD, ACT, ect. dates and locations?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC the plan was originally to play "the Australian Championships" in Canberra over the October Long Weekend. This was to be NSW, QLD, ACT and possible one other VIC or WA.

I think this concept has changed. ACT have already played the Sydney Under 14's. I have heard that there is NSW v ACT on the same weekend as the Uni-Norths Canberra 7's (Sep 15). It is always a good day of footy at the Uni-Norths 7's. It would be a little funny to play ACT in Canberra on Sep 15 AND the October Long Weekend.

I'd be surprised if there was any other footy on in Canberra that weekend. (I am often surprised.:))

Best to contact Kerry Brady at NSW Junior RU, or the Team manager/Coach for details.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Under 15 v ACT U15 At Marist College Pearce.

NSW 15 (3T) Act 7 (1 T, 1 C)

DSC_3696 u15 tRY.jpg

Meat Pie for NSW U15 Winger

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NSW met a depleted ACT (League GF and 4 of the boys taken into the 16s) on a beautiful morning, on the best schoolboy oval Ive ever seen. I finally found some dirt, on the runway out from the grandstand. A perfect carpet of green.
ACT dominant in the first half keeping the ball from NSW. Pigs were shy at the breakdown and were penalised for going off their feet regularly. ACT were let down by poor ball control, but were winning their set pieces (something NSW weren't able to do) and putting pressure on the NSW tryline.ACT #12 was a standout until injured in a heavy tackle from his opposing #.
NSW backline looked good with ball in hand but I only counted 4 times in the first half.
2nd half more of the same . NSW replacement #?? (short/Heavy) was a breath of fresh air running hard and straight. NSW stopped kicking for touch (didn't win a lineout all day) so the backs saw a little more ball.
New 1/2-5/8 combination not great so went back to original 9 and 10 which worked well together.
NSW backs again looked good with ball in hand but unfortunately didn't get enough of it.
NSW #8 must learn when you catch the ball from a kick off not to run backwards/ sideways.
NSW 3 Trys, ACT 1 Try 1 conv
Ref had a good game but was involved a lot because of the mistakes of both teams.
Pick of NSW, replacement #??,9,10,11,12,13,15
ACT forwards generally and#12

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
IIRC the plan was originally to play "the Australian Championships" in Canberra over the October Long Weekend. This was to be NSW, QLD, ACT and possible one other VIC or WA.

I think this concept has changed. ACT have already played the Sydney Under 14's. I have heard that there is NSW v ACT on the same weekend as the Uni-Norths Canberra 7's (Sep 15). It is always a good day of footy at the Uni-Norths 7's. It would be a little funny to play ACT in Canberra on Sep 15 AND the October Long Weekend.

I'd be surprised if there was any other footy on in Canberra that weekend. (I am often surprised.:))

Best to contact Kerry Brady at NSW Junior RU, or the Team manager/Coach for details.

Glad you enjoy our little carnival Hugh. Little smaller this year than it has been for a while as we could only run it for under 9's to under 14's. Didn't have enough takers for the older age groups.

I think most of the ACT sides played NSW at Marist on 15 September. Apparently the ACT under 17's beat NSW 27-26.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
NSW met a depleted ACT (League GF and 4 of the boys taken into the 16s) on a beautiful morning, on the best schoolboy oval Ive ever seen. I finally found some dirt, on the runway out from the grandstand. A perfect carpet of green.
ACT dominant in the first half keeping the ball from NSW. Pigs were shy at the breakdown and were penalised for going off their feet regularly. ACT were let down by poor ball control, but were winning their set pieces (something NSW weren't able to do) and putting pressure on the NSW tryline.ACT #12 was a standout until injured in a heavy tackle from his opposing #.
NSW backline looked good with ball in hand but I only counted 4 times in the first half.
2nd half more of the same . NSW replacement #?? (short/Heavy) was a breath of fresh air running hard and straight. NSW stopped kicking for touch (didn't win a lineout all day) so the backs saw a little more ball.
New 1/2-5/8 combination not great so went back to original 9 and 10 which worked well together.
NSW backs again looked good with ball in hand but unfortunately didn't get enough of it.
NSW #8 must learn when you catch the ball from a kick off not to run backwards/ sideways.
NSW 3 Trys, ACT 1 Try 1 conv
Ref had a good game but was involved a lot because of the mistakes of both teams.
Pick of NSW, replacement #??,9,10,11,12,13,15
ACT forwards generally and#12

Can anybody explain to me the difference in the ACT U15 side that played NSW last weekend and the one that contested the U15 NSW State Championships?

I haven't seen the team lists but cant help but wonder how the ACT side could have missed out on the semi finals (lost qtr final to Norths 13-8) in the State Champs, yet they only lost by a similar margin to the NSW side - which by rights should be much stronger team than a district side.

Is this normal?

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Can anybody explain to me the difference in the ACT U15 side that played NSW last weekend and the one that contested the U15 NSW State Championships?

I haven't seen the team lists but cant help but wonder how the ACT side could have missed out on the semi finals (lost qtr final to Norths 13-8) in the State Champs, yet they only lost by a similar margin to the NSW side - which by rights should be much stronger team than a district side.

Is this normal?

Don’t know about ACT but when you look at how many North’s players were selected in the Sydney and NSW teams; despite coming third in state champs and the barbarians (mostly Norths) winning the one game against Southern in the regional’s, it sounds about right.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Don’t know about ACT but when you look at how many North’s players were selected in the Sydney and NSW teams; despite coming third in state champs and the barbarians (mostly Norths) winning the one game against Southern in the regional’s, it sounds about right.

In fairness Norths didn't lose a game in State Champs (drew with Gordon) and there were as many Gordon players (Lough, Armstrong, Bosch and Dainton) in the NSW side as Norths (Wennerbom, Rixon, Smith and Britt).

My point was more related to the ACT and their make-up.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
In fairness Norths didn't lose a game in State Champs (drew with Gordon) and there were as many Gordon players (Lough, Armstrong, Bosch and Dainton) in the NSW side as Norths (Wennerbom, Rixon, Smith and Britt).

Yes, and they were rewarded with the bulk of selections into the Bah Bah’s.

What’s harder to justify is the 9 selected into the Sydney team from the regional’s despite being beaten by both Northern and western zones who could only manage 9 selections combined.

Understand your point was related to the AC T line up.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)

GO111 as stated in earlier posts this was a weakened ACT side. 4 boys moved to the 16s( opportunity to play the schools carnival). The ACT 16s were hit pretty hard with injuries. There were the League finals on that weekend as well.

Why was this NSW 15s so weak.
Look at the 8 names you have listed from Gordon and Norths. they are all backs with the exception of Britt. How can you have a team picked with only 1 piggy from the two strongest rep teams. Eastwood who is also in the mix IIRC got only 1 in also???
Can you imagine the team of '12 without the warringah piggies, '11 without Gordon piggies and '10 without the Parra piggies. Its a joke and showed up with there performance on the paddock.
This started at the Sydney level where the coaching and selection people allowed this to occur. Another good reason to disband them and get some professional people to run the show.
Of the 8 names Armstrong and Smith both injured so didn't play, Wennerbom a10 played nine, Rixon a 15/Wing, tried at 9.
Dainton combined well with Wennerbom, brought in at the 11 hour as he didn't even make the Sydney team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
GO111 as stated in earlier posts this was a weakened ACT side. 4 boys moved to the 16s( opportunity to play the schools carnival). The ACT 16s were hit pretty hard with injuries. There were the League finals on that weekend as well.

Why was this NSW 15s so weak.
Look at the 8 names you have listed from Gordon and Norths. they are all backs with the exception of Britt. How can you have a team picked with only 1 piggy from the two strongest rep teams. Eastwood who is also in the mix IIRC got only 1 in also???
Can you imagine the team of '12 without the warringah piggies, '11 without Gordon piggies and '10 without the Parra piggies. Its a joke and showed up with there performance on the paddock.
This started at the Sydney level where the coaching and selection people allowed this to occur. Another good reason to disband them and get some professional people to run the show.
Of the 8 names Armstrong and Smith both injured so didn't play, Wennerbom a10 played nine, Rixon a 15/Wing, tried at 9.
Dainton combined well with Wennerbom, brought in at the 11 hour as he didn't even make the Sydney team.
Wennerbom is a bloody good half who is sometimes made to play 10. He was Norths half and is a half for his club team.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wennerbom is a bloody good half who is sometimes made to play 10. He was Norths half and is a half for his club team.
IS, I agree he's a very good half back and linked up with the 5/8 Dainton very well. The problems arose when he was moved to 5/8 for 10mins and had a boy who I think is his schools fullback play half.
My main point though was that the two strong rep teams (Gordon/ Norths) didn't get any of their forwards in, which weakened the piggies considerably. The above goes for Eastwood as well. I haven't seen that happen in previous years

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
IS, I agree he's a very good half back and linked up with the 5/8 Dainton very well. The problems arose when he was moved to 5/8 for 10mins and had a boy who I think is his schools fullback play half.
My main point though was that the two strong rep teams (Gordon/ Norths) didn't get any of their forwards in, which weakened the piggies considerably. The above goes for Eastwood as well. I haven't seen that happen in previous years

10to12 i think you will find the other half you are referring to is Rixon. He is actually the Shore U15A halfback (and occasional outside centre). Also played half for Mosman 15A's.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
10to12 i think you will find the other half you are referring to is Rixon. He is actually the Shore U15A halfback (and occasional outside centre). Also played half for Mosman 15A's.
Thanks GO111. Saw him play for Shore in the outside backs (FB??) a few times, so thought that was his preferred position.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)

I thought the Eastwood and Western zone backline out-performed the Norths and Bah Bah's backline with the pick of WZ being 9,10,11 and 15 (9 played NSW 16's).

That so few were selected (forwards and backs) despite 2nd in champs and first in zone is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.