• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
All i remember was the final. Was packed wasn't it ?

Yeh it's usually a small crowd but that was when the lions where shit wasn't it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
ANOTHER plucky loss from the guileless dipshits. This way to the try line, no name Landers midfield combo, never mind the much vaunted SBW and Moala across from you, 4 tries for Walden and Thompson, FFS may as well call them Barfoot and Thompson for all the real estate they were allowed

I can't understand the thinking of this midfield - both way too similar - Blues need a proper centre who can create space for the All Black wingers. I reckon they'd be better off with Rieko at 13 and Caleb Clarke at 11.

The Lions, for whatever reason, don't draw crowds. Given the attractive style of rugby they play the reason for that remains a mystery. Lord knows, Twickenham is always full to watch the soap dodgers score 1 or 2 tries in 80 minutes. Go figure.

The Lions crowds have risen a lot compared a few years ago (amazing what winning does).

It looked like the crowd was on the camera side. They are saying the crowd was 10,000.

I think a reason for the low crowd this week was the Jaguares - they clearly look the weakest of the South African conference and don't bring any of the traditional rivalry of the other South African teams.

For example last week at Ellis Park the crowd was 27,500 for Lions v Sharks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Lions, for whatever reason, don't draw crowds. Given the attractive style of rugby they play the reason for that remains a mystery. Lord knows, Twickenham is always full to watch the soap dodgers score 1 or 2 tries in 80 minutes. Go figure.

Having lived in England for a year the explanation for why their attendance is so good is pretty simple. England is a bit shit and there is nothing else to do (except drink yourself sideways, which often happens in combination). All their sports pack out.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Many of the English club games are also played at quite small grounds. It's fairly easy to pack out a ground of 15,000 on an island with a population of ~60 million people.

EDIT:

I can't understand the thinking of this midfield - both way too similar - Blues need a proper centre who can create space for the All Black wingers. I reckon they'd be better off with Rieko at 13 and Caleb Clarke at 11.

TJ Faiane could be an option if he can ever get off the hospital ward without injuring himself.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And if anyone ever wondered why we lust after Kiwi coaches compare the Bulls' previous season result to this one.

Your coaches are masters compared to ours. We have the cattle, they just need proper guidance.

EDIT: Bulls v Lions derby next weekend is going to be massive.

I wish we had either.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Was it that much better at the Bulls? Looks to me like Jo'burg doesn't like rugby as much as it used to.

Based off of what?

The Lions crowds have gone up in recent years. The Bulls have gone down.

The Bulls-Lions clash in Pretoria this weekend though should see a big crowd you would think.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Based off of what?

The Lions crowds have gone up in recent years. The Bulls have gone down.

The Bulls-Lions clash in Pretoria this weekend though should see a big crowd you would think.

Based on a number of issues - watching the crowds and the non-availability of any formal numbers. Agree on teh Lions crowds over the last couple of years though even then not sell outs for Finals.

The Bulls - Lions clash will be interesting on a number of fronts - crowd being one.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's no alcohol to be had at Loftus which is different from Ellis Park. You are allowed alcohol in the box though so that and the Bulls terrible form lately may have contributed to their declining numbers in the stands. The Lions, although they play good rugby just have a shitty spot in the city so it's more convenient watching from home most of the time.

The Bulls v Lions and Bulls v Stormers will draw big crowds this season.

The Bulls are hosting some sort of water drive for Cape Town when they host the Stormers so that adds to the traditional North v South rivalry.

Reactions: dru

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Blues fans everywhere celebrate as Collins is benched.

Blues get a boost in the loosies as Kaino and Tupou return - a huge upgrade on Preston/Kirikiri

SBW out for the Blues but it gives the talented TJ Faiane a chance at 12. Faiane's big question mark will be on defence but will offer more genuine distribution than SBW.

The team is:
1 Pauliasi Manu, 2 James Parsons, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 4 Patrick Tuipulotu, 5 Scott Scrafton, 6 Jimmy Tupou, 7 Murphy Taramai, 8 Akira Ioane; 9 Augustine Pulu ©, 10 Bryn Gatland, 11 Rieko Ioane, 12 TJ Faiane, 13 George Moala, 14 Matt Duffie,15 Melani Nanai

Reserves: 16 Leni Apisai, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Michael Tamoaieta, 19 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 20 Jerome Kaino, 21 Sam Nock, 22 Daniel Kirkpatrick, 23 Michael Collins

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ Tribe also have injury worries with Nanai-Williams gone for the year plus Bird & Ngatai for 2-3 weeks: I'm giving serious thought to tipping the Bloos breaking their 736-day drought v NZ opposition.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because he can kick a ball. But so can Duffie, evidently. So I wouldn't be surprised, nor dissapointed, if he gets some starts at fullback.

Could also be going to this one, but will wait and see.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Melani Nanai is ace, why is Collins ever started over him?
probably cos Collins does all that boring safe catch-and-kick meat and potatoes stuff while Nanai just flits around between his next youtube moments. He was half lost when he came on last week while boring old Collins didnt put a foot wrong and was even a running threat at times.

That said, we're the Blues, fuck safety first, fuck the handbrake, pick all the wingers, shoehorn them in all over the backline and set the controls for the heart of the sun.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Melani Nanai is ace, why is Collins ever started over him?

Great question.

The line from Tana has been around 'communication' but I think that is overplayed especially now that the Blues seem to have a 10 who seems to play with some real conviction and doesn't need to be babysat (Gatland vs Ihaia West).

At times Nanai can sometimes overplay his hand but I think part of that is from constantly being shifted around. I'd love to see him get a prolonged crack at either starting fullback or starting wing.

Be interesting to see how the Blues backline goes this week - it's a very strong back 3. Not convinced by Moala at 13 but the Blues backline does look to have multiple threats this week that could make them very hard to shut down.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
That said, we're the Blues, fuck safety first, fuck the handbrake, pick all the wingers, shoehorn them in all over the backline and set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Exactly. Compare this to New England who once packed their backline with, what, four first-fives? The bastards either did one of two things. They either kicked the ball or passed it to another first-five to kick the ball. Didn't do them diddly squat until they shed 99% of that boringness by only picking Mo'unga. So, by that math then, the Blues need to up the not-boringess by packing in as many outside backs as possible into the backline. It's mathematically proven to succeed.

EDIT: No. That's unfair. They actually did one of three things. They either kicked the ball, passed it to another first-five to kick the ball or lived on the edge and passed it to their siege gun booted fullback to kick the ball.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Compare this to New England who once packed their backline with, what, four first-fives? The bastards either did one of two things. They either kicked the ball or passed it to another first-five to kick the ball. Didn't do them diddly squat until they shed 99% of that boringness by only picking Mo'unga. So, by that math then, the Blues need to up the not-boringess by packing in as many outside backs as possible into the backline. It's mathematically proven to succeed.

EDIT: No. That's unfair. They actually did one of three things. They either kicked the ball, passed it to another first-five to kick the ball or lived on the edge and passed it to their siege gun booted fullback to kick the ball.
was that when dipshit Toddy had the best 1st 5 in rugby history playing at 2nd 5?
10 Tyler Bleyendaal - kick
11 Tom Taylor - kick
12 Carter - fuck this shit
13 Crotty - glue guy who gives it to...
14 Token bro (Nadolo etc)
15 Dagg - kick/try silly bunny hop jump which worked twice in 2011 and hasnt worked since
toddy_zpsdhqkpeop.jpg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Exactly. Compare this to New England who once packed their backline with, what, four first-fives? The bastards either did one of two things. They either kicked the ball or passed it to another first-five to kick the ball. Didn't do them diddly squat until they shed 99% of that boringness by only picking Mo'unga. So, by that math then, the Blues need to up the not-boringess by packing in as many outside backs as possible into the backline. It's mathematically proven to succeed.

Thanks for that, sitting here splitting my sides at work. Blokes here dont follow rugby, I have no chance of explaining it to them.