• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep. I think the Crusaders have as many reasons to change their name as Saracens or the Barbarians have. That is to say none.

And while we wholeheartedly agree obviously zer0, I am prepared to say I will understand if they pull back a bit on the horses been ridden around park with riders waving swords, for a while anyway. Though I really like the Islamic numbers on jerseys just for 1 home game, as DP said would stuff it right up the white power dickheads arses!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
And while we wholeheartedly agree obviously zer0, I am prepared to say I will understand if they pull back a bit on the horses been ridden around park with riders waving swords, for a while anyway. Though I really like the Islamic numbers on jerseys just for 1 home game, as DP said would stuff it right up the white power dickheads arses!!

I like it too. Though it might also fuck with the Ref a bit.
"Ruck has formed! hands off number...... sigma? backwards 7?"

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's an increasing number of NZ corporates, including the banks & insurers who get a bad rap for being heartless cnuts, pulling advertising from the social media sites that live-streamed footage of the shootings and/or otherwise enabled it to be disseminated. The Crusaders & for that matter every other NZ-based sports organisation would be better served doing likewise rather than fretting about whether a word with connections to events that occurred 700-900 years ago might be causing offence in our century.

That said, at their next home game I'd prefer to see the horses walked around the ground & the riders have their swords sheathed & heads bowed as a mark of respect.

EDIT: Hunting & Fishing which has 30+ NZ stores has removed SLR's from their shelves, has ceased selling guns of any kind online, & the CEO has publicly called for a permanent ban on both. The tide it is a'turning & not before time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There's an increasing number of NZ corporates, including the banks & insurers who get a bad rap for being heartless cnuts, pulling advertising from the social media sites that live-streamed footage of the shootings and/or otherwise enabled it to be disseminated. The Crusaders & for that matter every other NZ-based sports organisation would be better served doing likewise rather than fretting about whether a word with connections to events that occurred 700-900 years ago might be causing offence in our century.

That said, at their next home game I'd prefer to see the horses walked around the ground & the riders have their swords sheathed & heads bowed as a mark of respect.

EDIT: Hunting & Fishing which has 30+ NZ stores has removed SLR's from their shelves, has ceased selling guns of any kind online, & the CEO has publicly called for a permanent ban on both. The tide it is a'turning & not before time.

Suppose its to late now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've yet to see or hear of anything actual Muslim who cares about the name of a rugby team c.f. better gun laws, being taken seriously when they go to the Police re: disturbing behavior towards them, etc.
Probably bit too political for a rugby forum, but i agree. General rule of thumb is to not modify your behaviour in response to a terrorist. Leave the name.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I've yet to see or hear of anything actual Muslim who cares about the name of a rugby team c.f. better gun laws, being taken seriously when they go to the Police re: disturbing behavior towards them, etc.

I don't mind being in the minority on this, but I have always found the "Crusaders" meme a bit distasteful. I am not a historian, but my understanding is that the original Crusades were not something that a civilised society should celebrate, or appear to celebrate.

The local Muslim community might not care one way or the other. But maybe their children will, growing up. Maybe some of them will end up playing rugby. And what sort of comfort does the "Crusaders" schtick send to the local right-wing extremists?

A gesture to do away with the brand would be widely welcomed, not only in New Zealand, but in a lot of rugby loving communities world-wide.

What is the counter-argument again?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't mind being in the minority on this, but I have always found the "Crusaders" meme a bit distasteful. I am not a historian, but my understanding is that the original Crusades were not something that a civilised society should celebrate, or appear to celebrate.

The local Muslim community might not care one way or the other. But maybe their children will, growing up. Maybe some of them will end up playing rugby. And what sort of comfort does the "Crusaders" schtick send to the local right-wing extremists?

A gesture to do away with the brand would be widely welcomed, not only in New Zealand, but in a lot of rugby loving communities world-wide.

What is the counter-argument again?
Not to allow the actions of terrorists to modify your behaviour because if you do it will further encourage future morons who want to do terrible things.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not to allow the actions of terrorists to modify your behaviour because if you do it will further encourage future morons who want to do terrible things.

Perhaps Derpus, while I have said here I think the Crusaders should keep their name on reflection I not as positive as I was. Do you know perhaps we could consider the name change not because the actions of terrorists, but because as Wamb pointed out, as gesture to all people that rugby is a game embracing all people? In other words should we need these actions to make us consider it?
As I said I am torn on it, but can understand and would maybe hope that the guys on horses waving swords (which I have never been over keen on anyway) can maybe placed to the side and so that the word Crusade can be used in a meaning like a Crusade for change, and betterment.
Just rambling thoughts, and you know what? I have no problem with the fact we are thinking about it, and can certainly understand both sides of argument, and think if a name change was made, perhaps next season would be a time to do it, as maybe now the hurt is too much for sensible discussion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah i don't feel terribly strongly either way, was just pointing out that is the counter-argument.

Upthenuts

Jim Clark (26)
i say keep the name, it has its own history in nz rugby, no need to change it. seems even through a world war the english kept the saracens name in their rugby

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fuck the stormfront. Far and away the worst try scoring team in the comp and it shows. Something like 1.2 tries a game while everyone else is on about 7. They hit it up and maul and take the 3. Their wingers may as well be Stevie Wonder and Ray fucken Charles. To call them one-dimensional is to do a disservice to what constitutes a fucken dimension in the first place.

I hope Ffsffita's body is ok. I saw him playing a bit of rugby out there and rugby is well known for causing wear and tear on the body. Luckily he stayed away from all those nasty mauls which could be potentially injurious to his body. Hopefully he calls the All Black coach again after the game to outline his workplace issues in regards to being left with little recourse during the match other than to use his body in rugby-themed situations during today's rugby football match.