• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Joe James

Stan Wickham (3)
And name players who have been part of the selected squad at the start of the year who actually fill the exact positions you're questioning. The whole selection bias is absolute rubbish.

I believe the players have already been named. I can assure you that no one from NSW would have been complaining if 16 NSW boys had been selected. It would have been Qld then who would have had some right to complain.
It is not about naming individual players. All the players in question are elite whether they be from Qld NSW Vic or Brumbies. What is in question is the process this year and the dramatically skewed result. . Statistically it just doesn't make any sense and without any objective measure from games being played there is no basis for such a skewed result
You, being from the Reds will obviously have been rapped with the result. Its one- eyed views however that got us here in the first place. From a National perspective it is detrimental for Australian rugby in the long term.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some measured comments from Pat McCutcheon, cut and paste from Gen blue press release.

McCutcheon said while some of the other Generation Blue players missed out on national selection, the door is not completely closed.

“My heart goes out to the players who have narrowly missed out on national representation. It must have been a hard decision to make given the calibre of players who missed out and given they really put in the groundwork and effort to deliver some great performances in the Oceania Rugby U20’s Championship.

“This isn’t the end of the line, however. When we start looking at pathways to becoming a Super Rugby and Wallabies player, making the Under 20s is part of it but not the only pathway.

“I look at those players and I want to see them working on the feedback they received from the Junior Wallabies coaching staff and then executing that in club rugby. To see them exceed at club rugby, make an NRC team and then get picked up in Super Rugby; that’s a pathway and that’s what I’ll be pushing for these gentlemen to strive for,” McCutcheon said.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The petty schoolboy whinging about these selections is really highlighted by the fact that you are claiming that players playing professional or club rugby in Victoria, NSW or the ACT are still Queensland players.

They finished school two years ago. Plenty has happened since.

Seemingly you would be much happier if there was a quote system and the selections were spread more evenly amongst the states even if the selectors thought they were selecting an inferior team after having the players in multiple camps.

The people criticising the selections have kept harking back to the schoolboys tournament two years ago but have completely ignored the fact that some of the absolute standout NSW players from that team are not available.

Isaia Toeava is watching on and he is not impressed by what he sees.

RU-25.jpg

Joe James

Stan Wickham (3)
The petty schoolboy whinging about these selections is really highlighted by the fact that you are claiming that players playing professional or club rugby in Victoria, NSW or the ACT are still Queensland players.

They finished school two years ago. Plenty has happened since.

Seemingly you would be much happier if there was a quote system and the selections were spread more evenly amongst the states even if the selectors thought they were selecting an inferior team after having the players in multiple camps.

The people criticising the selections have kept harking back to the schoolboys tournament two years ago but have completely ignored the fact that some of the absolute standout NSW players from that team are not available.

Isaia Toeava is watching on and he is not impressed by what he sees.

RU-25.jpg
He’s not impressed beacause the state that is monopolising the Rugby pathway is producing results like this. I don’t think anyone is impressed
555F8CF3-D425-4278-91B7-F8B3CEBB8DA8.jpeg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some measured comments from Pat McCutcheon, cut and paste from Gen blue press release.

McCutcheon said while some of the other Generation Blue players missed out on national selection, the door is not completely closed.

“My heart goes out to the players who have narrowly missed out on national representation. It must have been a hard decision to make given the calibre of players who missed out and given they really put in the groundwork and effort to deliver some great performances in the Oceania Rugby U20’s Championship.

“This isn’t the end of the line, however. When we start looking at pathways to becoming a Super Rugby and Wallabies player, making the Under 20s is part of it but not the only pathway.

“I look at those players and I want to see them working on the feedback they received from the Junior Wallabies coaching staff and then executing that in club rugby. To see them exceed at club rugby, make an NRC team and then get picked up in Super Rugby; that’s a pathway and that’s what I’ll be pushing for these gentlemen to strive for,” McCutcheon said.

THB,
Can we start an inquiry into how McCutcheon landed in the u20s coaching sleigh without prior coaching experience?
People wonder why we have foreign coaches in super rugby. It might have something to do with the closed shop.
This is arguably a vital pinch point in oz rugby, where young players are divided into those who have pro potential and those who will battle for a chance tolay pro by playing club for a lot of seasons and only then if they’re lucky.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
THB,
Can we start an inquiry into how McCutcheon landed in the u20s coaching sleigh without prior coaching experience?
People wonder why we have foreign coaches in super rugby. It might have something to do with the closed shop.
This is arguably a vital pinch point in oz rugby, where young players are divided into those who have pro potential and those who will battle for a chance tolay pro by playing club for a lot of seasons and only then if they’re lucky.
IS, I don't know too much about McCutcheon. AFAK he was well regarded by the boys.

Coaching this year shouldn't have been too much of a stress.

I take it he will be doing the U19 NRC this year. See how he goes with that one.

Here is the article announcing his appointment.

https://rugbynews.net.au/pat-mccutcheon-shifts-from-player-to-coach-to-help-guide-future-waratahs/

I take your point, about players who make this are the potential professional future players. And there are players in Sydney Colts who were not considered and probably should have been.

Miti from Uni springs to mind.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, I don't know too much about McCutcheon. AFAK he was well regarded by the boys.

Coaching this year shouldn't have been too much of a stress.

I take it he will be doing the U19 NRC this year. See how he goes with that one.

Here is the article announcing his appointment.

https://rugbynews.net.au/pat-mccutcheon-shifts-from-player-to-coach-to-help-guide-future-waratahs/

I take your point, about players who make this are the potential professional future players. And there are players in Sydney Colts who were not considered and probably should have been.

Miti from Uni springs to mind.

I couldn’t believe it then and I still can’t.
It’s the tahs/uni inside job.
If the tahs were a successful factory developing players and coaches I could understand it but they’re not.
They’re the opposite.
Even in successful set ups you need to be wary of breeding your weaknesses and not your strengths, so you need fresh eyes and ideas coming in on a regular basis.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is he on the plane to the cup or is he a shadow member of the squad? My understanding is it is still 28 player squads and now they have 29.
I can't see them taking 3 tens. Especially as Lucas can play 10.

Has Creighton been called back to Reds? After moon pups debacle

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems he is needed for the Brumbies back row due their injury problems and the release of Fakosolea. I believe he is now in SA with the team.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Valetini apparently not now going to the Cup. Is he a replacement back rower?
Seems he is needed for the Brumbies back row due their injury problems and the release of Fakosolea. I believe he is now in SA with the team.
Well that is ordinary. Think once they agree to the release that should be the end of the matter.

The Brumbies season has been gelded anyway.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I so disagree with these players not touring with the 20s. And that goes for Stewart and Valetini too.

Is Darcy Swain too old?
It was one of Deans’ views that these guys should have the chance to play in these tournies because they were part of the journey.
Looked like Stewart got injured, though.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone know anything about Wood?

Don't think he has been in any of the extended squads to date.

Would have thought Margin would have been next in line for a lock position.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using

Qld...Thompson...let you put the rest together
Sikimeti..Margin .Brown....no wonder players walk away