• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
REG, Darcy Swain had his last U20s year lasr year I believe. Don't know Wood, but if he's as tough as some are saying, he will be a very good replacement for Hockings who is a powder puff in the Rob Simmons mold.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wow.
Hope they have a pro forma for the warnings cos they’ll be sending a few out.
It seems ridiculous to be trialling laws at this level of competition.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I could be wrong but I believe the nipple rule will be tested during the ‘trophy’ tournament which is essentially the second division competition and not the main comp starting next week

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I could be wrong but I believe the nipple rule will be tested during the ‘trophy’ tournament which is essentially the second division competition and not the main comp starting next week
Yep

World Rugby will trial two approaches. At the U20 Championship in France (30 May – June 17), a High Tackle Warning will be issued if the tackler is upright (i.e. not bent at the waist when tackling), and there is clear and obvious head contact for either player. This will be policed by both the match officials and the citing commissioner. When two high tackle warnings have been issued, a player will automatically receive a one-match suspension.

At the U20 Trophy (location and dates TBC), an amendment to Law 9.13 will operate, altering the definition of a high tackle from above the line of the shoulders to above the nipple line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems to me they are going just a bit overboard in their fight against head high tackles. Even now, many tackles are being penalised when there is no contact at all with neck or head (see in yesterday's game Cru v Hurricanes, a couple of examples). Lowering the maximum height to a spot on the chest will just lead to more inconsistent refereeing decisions, possibly affecting the outcome of games. Will be an open invitation for smaller players, No 9s and 10s, to run straight at the opposition locks in the knowledge those locks won't have the technique or smarts to adjust to the new laws in the heat of a game.

Reactions: mst

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Looks like you’re right. Not sure that changes my point but doesn’t affect us, obviously.
The other changes do, and just looking st them again they have their own problems:
“UPRIGHT (NOT BENT AT THE WAIST)
A tackler will be deemed to be upright when:
They are in an approximate upright standing position
They have made no clear attempt to lower the height of contact with the ball carrier to avoid the head or shoulders of the ball carrier
There is no knee flexion and minimal bending at the waist which brings the head into a dangerous position for collision with ball carrier's head or shoulder
The high tackle warning will be issued in one of four types of incidents:
All HIGH-CONTACT PENALTIES, irrespective of sanction, during matches
All TACKLES THAT RESULT IN AN HIA, irrespective of whether to tackler or ball-carrier
High tackles that are missed during the match
Accidental clear and obvious head to head and head to shoulder contact
Sanctions:
The High Tackle Warning is issued ONLY IF THE TACKLER IS UPRIGHT, AND THERE IS CLEAR AND OBVIOUS HEAD CONTACT for either player
Each High Tackle Warning carries 'one strike'.When 'two strikes' (two High Tackle Warnings) have been issued, a player will receive a one-match suspension (a right to appeal will operate)
High Tackle Warnings also form part of the usual accumulation of sanctions, including Citing Commissioner Warnings (CCWs) and yellow cards. A strong education element will be run in parallel, explaining that this player welfare initiative protects the tackler and their opponents.”
A player attempting a ball and all on his own line - to protect against an offload - is at real risk of breaching the law.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't know how the upright situation will be adjudicated for larger, taller players, like locks. Those who generally have to bend the knees and bend at the waist just to lay hands on the top parts of a smaller player's body. Could be a get out of jail clause?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Don't know how the upright situation will be adjudicated for larger, taller players, like locks. Those who generally have to bend the knees and bend at the waist just to lay hands on the top parts of a smaller player's body. Could be a get out of jail clause?
Why would they be lenient? Will be a strict liability offence I would imagine

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk